Weird roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird roast

Completed my 5th roast tonight using Corretto. I can only describe it as "wierd"  . (Ugandan Bugisu AA). Im sure I started out with 504g but ended up with around 540g on digital scale. Must a weighing mistake?  :-?

I didnt hear first crack at all and decided just to watch the color of the beans after the 12 or so minute mark and pull them out when close to CS 9ish. This didnt happen until 8 minutes later. Even at this stage I couldnt hear any sign of second crack. Odd....

The other thing that was strange was that my multimeter was reading 42 degrees before I even turned on the heat gun. It went up to 210 at the peak of the roast, but it was only 30>31 degrees outside when I started. Quite humid though. I tried both my bead probe and new stick type probe and no difference in the reading. Any advise on any of the odd things above much appreciated!

I must say though the roasted beans do look nice and even in color. As far as I can tell they look like CS 9 on my computer. Currently waiting for the new members card and should have it any day now with my new green bean order  

Re: Weird roast

Gday Buschy,

Have you tried your DMM/Thermo-probe in a saucepan of rapidly boiling water? At sea level, you should read very close to 100C. Its a quick check that should highlight any potential problems....

Regarding your roast, theres a good chance that it may not have even reached First Crack due to the low DMM reading. If this is the case, theres probably not much hope for the Bugisu unfortunately. Give em a go after a few days rest and see how you go... might be lucky :-?

Mal.

Comment

Hey Buschy,

Weve had two roasts (including our 2nd ever roast) which never gave us a first crack but darkened adequately and eventually got to second crack. The common problem was taking it TOO slowly. Both roasts were ~25mins to SC. Both tasted ok (maybe a little flat, although when you expect something to taste crap, it probably will...). Your Bugisu will probably taste fine.

If I were to diagnose your problem, Id say that the thermocouple issue probably put you off and you may have taken the roast too slowly. Is the thermocouple in the bean mass or on top of them? Ours sit on top of the beans, which makes it prone to inconsistency, but apart from that weve found that the most important thing is to get the thermocouple in a reproducible position so that your readings are consistent roast-to-roast. It doesnt really matter what readings you get for FC/SC as long as theyre consistent(ish) - say +/- 5ºC.

Also, if youre halfway through a roast and the TC comes loose or starts giving strange readings, switch to roasting by colour and fix the TC for next roast! Some of our worst roasts have been caused by relying on the TC when it was giving weird readings...

Cheers
      Stuart.

Comment

I tested the probe in boiling water and this confirmed that the DMM is 15 degrees off. I dont know what happened as it was fine last roast and its only been used a few times. I guess its not a big deal provided I keep the difference in mind.

Stuartgrant, the probe is positioned just under the surface of the bean mass on the side of the breadmaker that the heat gun points down on. Taking the 15 degrees into account, the roast only reached 195 (after 20 minutes). I probably did have FC along the way but didnt hear it. I noticed some beans I have roasted crack really loud while others I have to stand right next to the BM the entire time to hear anything besides the beans spinning around. I didnt stand right next to it continuously with this roast, assuming I would at least hear something from where I was positioned. Nope.

I decided to try a shot with the suspect beans. I know I probably should have left them but I was curious  :. I also munched on a couple.... They tasted neither nice or not nice, just kind of flat. Ill leave them in the vac bag for a few more days and give them another go. Thanks.

Comment

Just some thoughts...

Use the DMM to give you an indication of the degree of temp ramping times - dont get to hung up on what temp FC and 2C occur.  Apart from knowing what is happening, use it as a tool to predict what will happen, and when its likely to occur.  Knowing when your close to FC will of course allow you to understand when to back off the heat and coast to 2C.

IMHO, anything over 20 mins is probably going to stand a good chance of tasting baked and flat rather than roasted.

Finally, DO stand next to your roast - walking away can be fraught with danger.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Nothing useful to add - just sick of the typo in the topic title.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy link=1227179199/0#5 date=1227330408
              Nothing useful to add - just sick of the typo in the topic title.
              ;D ;D

Comment

Ooops....  :-[

Fixed  

Comment

Originally posted by Buschy link=1227179199/0#7 date=1227332007
                  Ooops....  :-[
                  Fixed  
                  Not actually.

Maybe Mal or another mod will do the honours.

Comment

Ive got a feeling that Chris went through and fixed it @ 4:39 and Buschy has gone and changed it back to the wrong spelling @ 4:43.
                    Oh the fun we have!

Comment

Its all coming back to me.. "i before e except after c...."    

Comment

And W

Comment

mod edited and fixed...again :

I beleive its all right now

Comment

Admit defeat. :P. I "beleive" Ive sorted it all out and on the right track again. Wife is just shaking her head.... ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Buschy link=1227179199/0#13 date=1227339594
                              Admit defeat. :P. I "beleive" Ive sorted it all out and on the right track again. Wife is just shaking her head....  ;D
                              I believe that you might be wrong there ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X