X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent Sumatran

Hi all,

Sorry about the bad alliteration. :-[

I roasted some of the recent BB Sumatran Blue Lintong last evening and not only had great trouble hearing any first crack, but didnt get any indication of second either.

I put 300 grams in the Gene Cafe, set the temp. at 230° and had virtually a silent roast for the whole time. I reduced the temp gradually to 220° when the beans started to look as if they were going to burn (I usually do this at first crack as they become exothermic to extend the 1-2 time). The roast was a bit uneven with beans varying between CS 9 and 11 at just on 20 minutes--a bit longer than usual but not the most extended roast I have had.

I tried the first cup this evening and it is really lovely, smooth and rich with an intense flavour, so Im looking forward to it when it matures in another few days.

How have others roasted this? And did anyone else have trouble hearing the cracks? I suppose my domestic blindness could have spread to my ears but its not my first choice. All comments or suggestions welcome.

Greg

Re: Silent Sumatran

I just roasted some in my popper, I got hardly any chaff off them at all (4 batches), FC wasnt to hard to hear, SC was a little harder so I was going by sight a bit, then I stopped them a bit further into SC, the beans came out looking ok but they did look a bit dull compared to other beans I have roasted. It came out to about cs 10, and a little uneven.

Comment

I roasted a batch in my corretto last week. It was about 15degrees outside and it took me 19minutes to hit FC. I wasnt too sure if I was hearing rolling FC or SC at 21minutes, but the roast was pulled at 22 minutes. The roast was fairly even at CS9.

Did anyone else get a very distinct blueberry in their cup?

Comment

did 250g Lintong batch in the gene roaster, I thought the FC/SC sound was a little bit quiet but still manageable... probably because I was roasting 1AM in the morning. ;D ;D

But the Brazilian Bourbon Bold from this months batch was very quiet in cracking compare to the Daterra Pulp naturals.

Still resting the Lintong as its only 2 days post roast, this degas thingy is killing me...COME ON FASTER!!!!
        someone need to invent a device to speed up the degas! ;D

By the way I took the Lintong to 2nd crack somewhere between the start and rolling SC.

Comment

Originally posted by BaconMeister link=1227875284/0#3 date=1228266780

They have - it is called a grinder!  ;D

To answer your question Greg, I heard a rather distinct 1st Crack at 12 min and 207 deg c in my Corretto.

Comment

Originally posted by runfast link=1227875284/0#4 date=1228287429
            They have - it is called a grinder!  ;D
            I said Degas, not Oxidize :

Comment

Originally posted by BaconMeister link=1227875284/0#3 date=1228266780

Still resting the Lintong as its only 2 days post roast, this degas thingy is killing me...COME ON FASTER!!!!
              To plagiarise a famous saying "Patience grasshopper"

The next thing you will want someone to mature a fine wine faster :

The degassing is part of the maturing process for the roasted beans..... during which equilibrium is re-established after being almost incinerated..... and this takes time.....

If you want to speed up degassing and alter the flavour profile by speeding things up (also evaporating the volatile oils).... then apply a vacuum :P

Me, Im a believer in "Patience grasshopper"

Comment

Interesting note on the Equilibrium JavaB.
                Can I ask your advice in storing the bean as well? at the moment I store them in coffee bags with 1 way valve, I immediately seals the bag up and use a vacuum to suck all the air out via the valve.
                But Tom from SweetMarias seems to think its better to store the bean with a bit of oxygen, otherwise it tends to go flat a bit.
                Just wondering whats your take on this?

Comment

Hi "BM"....

No doubt JB will get back to you pretty quickly but most of us (I think), avoid using any kind of vacuum process as it accelerates the process of oils migrating to the outside of the bean. Some of those oils are thought to be quite volatile too and may even be evaporated and exhausted through the device being used to create the vacuum. I have NO personal knowledge or expertise in this area but it makes sense that this could happen.

Basically, I do everything that you do but leave out the vacuum step and instead, just squeeze out as much of the air as I can. Over time and with a few experiments, Ive discovered that bagging and sealing the beans while they are still warm (42-45C) seems to enhance the the longevity of the peak flavour plateau. With some beans Ive experimented with, this plateau can extend for a ridiculously long time but probably has just as much to do with the particular beans and the roast profile being "bang on". Some of our Pro Roasters could probably explain better what is going on here.

Anyway mate, hope this helps a bit....

Mal.

Comment

Hi BM,

Yep, Mal is right on the money!

Put them in a one way valved bag and squeeze as much air out as you can. A vacuum will suck out some of the volatile oils..... and leaving lots of oxygen in the bag is a no-no as it is oxygen which causes the beans to go rancid and destroys the flavour (by oxidising the oils)...

So as little air as possible (squeezing the bag) - but without using a vacuum - will give the best results. And if the beans are still warm when bagged they are giving off more gas (carbon dioxide) which will displace the air in the bag and act as a preservative...... best of all worlds!!

Comment

Thanks JB.....

Mal.

Comment

Thanks guys. I am learning all the time.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, I reckon Ill have to roast another batch soon and listen a bit harder.

Today, at roast +10 days the piccolo lattes are beautiful, better than 3 days ago, so it may still be improving in flavour.

So many beans, so many roast profiles, so many aging options! Glad I keep records and have so many coffee friends to help.

Greg

Comment

An update on the Blue Lintong now 8 days post roast. Brewed in the Aeropress with hand cut fiber filter instead of the normal paper filter, upside down method.

one word: NICE NICE NICE!!! (OK thats 3)

I am now getting a Perfumy wet aroma which wasnt too apparent 4 days ago. The cup is so much more sweeter and less bitter as well. More flavours seem to come in the cup as well, caramel, vanilla, tree bark ( , probably part of the Earthy flavour). very intense!

This was brewed with Espresso Ground coarseness (70g/L) for 1 min, water temp just off boil (~96c).

Comment

Originally posted by BaconMeister link=1227875284/0#13 date=1228827950
                              An update on the Blue Lintong now 8 days post roast. Brewed in the Aeropress with hand cut fiber filter instead of the normal paper filter, upside down method.
                              Im intrigued "BM",

What constitutes the "upside down method" with the AeroPress? Never heard of that one before :-?

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X