X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasting Guide Spreadsheet with Graph

Hi All,

I thought I’d share my Coffee Roasting Guide / Excel Spreadsheet.

Background:
    Ive taken a whole lot from coffee snobs over the years - I thought it was time to contribute something!

I started roasting about 2 years ago - with 2 Breville popcorn makers. About 9 months ago I switched to the Corretto. The biggest challenge for me was working out exactly when to ramp the heat and when to back it off.

My research and trials led me to designing this coffee roasting spreadsheet.
    The ‘Ideal Temp’ roast profile suits most roast I do – just change the values to suit your own profile.
    The ‘Current’ row is where I map my current roast, each minute I record the temperatures and try to keep them as close to the ‘Ideal Temp’ as possible.

Anyhow – feel free to have a play, I’m interested in your feedback and hopefully this helps some beginners get started!

Screenshot:

Here’s the spreadsheet – just unzip the two files into the same folder. You will need macros enabled should you want to use the stopwatch!

http://www.pivottechnology.com/hgbm/...preadsheet.zip

Re: Roasting Guide Speadsheet with Graph

Nice work Peter!

Thanks for sharing, Im sure lots of roasters will love this.

Comment

Good one Peter.
      Im sure to give this a try when I get around to setting up my corretto. Care tio share what your corretto is made up of (including DMM assuming you are using one)

Comment

Thanks guys!

Sure - my corretto setup is pretty standard - here are the specs:

Bread Machine: Breville BB290, on Dough Cycle
        Heat Gun: Bosch PHG 630 DCE, digital control 50-630deg, 2000W
        DMM: Jaycar Digitech QM-1526 - with thermo probe.
        Cooling: Large 60cm Fan from BigW, use this to suck out the chaff during roast, and to cool the beans afterwards.

The heat gun is mounted on an old guitar stand and the thermo probe is mounted about an inch from the base of the tin. I drilled a hole, fed it through and tied a knot to keep it in place.

Ive tried a few heat guns, this has been the best - cant beat the digital control. It saves having to constantly adjust the distance from the beans - instead just increase or decrease the output temperature (increments of 10deg)

Happy to take a few photos and post them if people are interested!

Comment

Yes please. Im curious how you use the exhaust fan for both blowing and cooling.

Probably best added to a new thread or existing thread rather than this one that has now been made into a sticky post

Many thanks
          Steve

Comment

Gday pcf1978,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs mate..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Excellent roasting aid that Im sure lots of us will be taking advantage of. Great stuff mate 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Nice work Peter.

Comment

Nice one Peter
                I have downloaded it
                Will give a go when the new roaster is built and running
                Hopefully sooner than later

KK

Comment

Looks great Peter, I intend playing with it, I hope it loads onto my old laptop with Windows 98!
                  Ive been running manual roast profiles so far and keeping them for reference.

Comment

unzipped it on my main computer and transferred to laptop, works a treat!!

Comment

Hey greenman - glad to hear its working on Win98!!!

Comment

I just ran through my roast profiles, my probe reads a bit lower than a lot of CSers profiles so Ive loaded in my average temps for each stage and will do a roast later, it should be great, Ill report back on result.
                        I usually reach 1st crack around 185-190C on my DM, 2nd crack around 205-210Cish.
                        Thanks for making this available Peter!!!

Comment

My pleasure! Yeah - each setup is going to report temperatures differently. As long as the readings are consistent, it doesnt matter - the profile still looks the same! Looking forward to your results!!

Comment

Ive done several roasts using the software now.
                            Ive gone through my profiles and the ones I repeat often I have done a save-as and made a file for that specific profile, I have several of these so that when I do a roast I just click on the profile I want to replicate and it comes up ready to go. If Im doing Monsoon Malabar I just click on that file and its ready to go.
                            Once again thanks Peter!!!
                            Have a great Christmas......................cheers from greenman

Comment

Good stuff greenman! Ive been thinking about building this feature into the one speadsheet - but I think your method works just as well, one file per profile - perfect!

I do need to start sorting out my profiles, Ive been lazy and mostly using the one ideal for all roasts, maybe varying the length into second crack. I’m happy with the results - but Im sure they can be better with a personalised profile to bring out their best…

Glad you’ve made use of the guide – have an awesome Christmas!

cheers, pete

Comment

Working...
                              X