Breadmakers @ Aldi from 18/12/2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breadmakers @ Aldi from 18/12/2008

Aldi will have BMs on sale next week for $69.
    Large ones (twin paddles).
    http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2867_6678.htm

Re: Breadmakers @ Aldi from 18/12/2008

Worth checking out Id say TG.....

If the build quality is reasonable then its a steal at only $69.00,

Mal.

Comment

What size roast can you get done in those larger BMs? They look interesting...

Comment

Sounds good at $69.

An online store is selling the same product for $89 plus $19 postage.

Comment

More pics of the breadmaker here:
          http://www.oztion.com.au/OA/oa_previewpic.aspx?itemid=6166735&tid=&picnum=1&#p ic

The product has already been sold so I dont think I am breaking any forum rules?

Comment

Not that Im a breadmaker expert, but Ive never seen one with opposing paddles before. Does anyone have a BM with something like that?

Comment

Mal has one.
              Hes not online right now.

Comment

Originally posted by 22a link=1228989048/0#2 date=1229021048
                What size roast can you get done in those larger BMs? They look interesting...
                I have a Breville BB400 which is supposed to be able to make a 1kg loaf as my corretto and quite regularly roast 700-750g batches, last night I threw in the remnants from a few bags and managed to roast 840g without any hassles. This machine may be better with smaller batches as well due to the dual paddles, the Breville only has 1 paddle and with the long rectangular shaped basket does not get very effective mixing when you have less than 400g in it.

HTH

Comment

Im a little worried about the dual paddles, that, depending on their orientation, if they pass each other and theres a bean in the way, either the paddle will snap or the bean will simply get crushed.

It will be interesting to hear Mals take on it.

Comment

Gday All,

I have a Breville "Big Loaf" BM, which on the surface appears to be similar to the Aldi one TG spotted. I have roasted batches up to 1.0Kg in size with little effort using a 2,000W Heatgun but find that batches of less than 300g can be a bit of a struggle to roast evenly overall and through the individual beans themselves. If I need to roast small batches, I use one of my poppers.

Regarding the opposing stirrer paddles.... This is not a problem with the Big Loaf as you can orientate the paddles how ever you want and in my case, Ive found the best arrangement is to have the paddles out of phase by 90 degrees. That way, the paddles never oppose each other but still generate really decent agitation of the beans.

If you want to consistently roast batches of 1.0Kg or more, then I would suggest using two variable output heatguns rather than fixed output ones as I think trying to juggle the height of two heatguns at once may be troublesome. I spose you could leave one heatgun fixed at a low-ish position and just adjust the other to control the roast... Some experimentation would no doubt sort this out.

Know of a couple of CSers who use two heatguns at once so maybe one of them will see this thread and offer some practical suggestions. I mostly roast batches of between 750-900g of green and a single 2,000W heatgun seems to be able to cope with this easily enough and allow me enough headroom to control the roast as I see fit. Basically though, the larger the batch size, the more heat you will need to apply..... Simple physics (if physics can ever be called simple that is )

Personally, just from using my Corretto for quite some time now, I wouldnt go back to a single paddle BM as I think it is just too easy to overload a single paddle machine and then run the risk of ruining a batch of good coffee because of insufficient agitation. Have never had that problem with the Big Loaf unless the batch is too small and I dont roast small batches very often these days.

Hope thats of some help to prospective Aldi BM purchasers....

Cheers,
                    Mal.

Comment

The paddles worry me too! Wonder if the arrangement can be changed? Id prefer them not to meet in the middle.

Also - what are the chances of it having a 20-25min dough spin cycle??

Mals Breville BB380 "Big Loaf" is designed to handle a 1.5Kg loaf - and this one is suggested to handle 1.35Kg – would the 150g difference in specification stop it from reaching a 1Kg batch size?

On the other end of the scale, these larger BM’s seem to struggle with small batch sizes... As a work around, I wonder if you removed one of the paddles and slotted in a divider to reduce the size of the tin – might allow for small/experimental sized batches??

Think Ill pop down to Aldi next week and have a fiddle - good spot Thundergod!!

Comment

If there is a problem with the paddles catching on beans, it wouldnt be difficult to replace them with something smaller - there are a couple of threads here on adding "paddles" to 2nd breadmakers where they were missing or broken. IIRC, someone used something like an old fashioned bulldog clip, or something of the sort.

The length of the kneading cycles is a bigger concern - I already have a 2nd hand Breville sitting here that cant be used for roasting without rewiring, and Im not that clever yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pcf1978 link=1228989048/0#10 date=1229111053
                          Also - what are the chances of it having a 20-25min dough spin cycle??

So which BM models that you chaps know of, do have such a cycle?

Comment

This thread is a starting point, Pat:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1164028430

There will be others, I guess the best thing is to check the manual before buying.

Comment

Thanks TG. I had put aside time this evening to catch up on some assignments. Before I started I had a quick look at the Aldi link. Noticed some online games at the site, so I had "just a peek" at them - thought I might have a better look tomorrow. Had "just one go" at the Marble game. Im too embarrassed to say how many hours ago that was. I was finally stopped 20 minutes ago by the combined wailing of the dog and two cats for their dinner - theyd had enough of "just one more game". Its 10.20pm, my own dinner is in the oven now, I havent started the assignments, but the real humiliation is that I couldnt get a high score....

Comment

Working...
                              X