Coffee Roasters Handbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Roasters Handbook

I have done some searching on the web and found it difficult to find a coffee roasters handbook
    However there is plenty of information for baristas

I am after something that will give an overview and then continue on to describe heat increments for each minute
    And importantly how to create bean profiles controlled by a progressive heat graph or curve

I have found basic info at sweet marias and other sites but nothing descriptive and in-depth

So the question is do such books exist?
    And if so I need names & authors to chase them up

I may need to twist Peters hand at Veneziano Brisbane to learn some roasting while I provide free labour

KK

Re: Coffee Roasters Handbook

Not sure how technical this gets as I havent got a copy YET, but the review peaked my curiosity ...

http://www.scaa.org/shop/product_detail.asp?productid=R200100

The Coffee Cuppers Handbook, Ted Lingle

a review by Luca Costanzo http://pourquality.blogspot.com/

This is a must have for anyone who cups on any semi-serious level. I would be shocked - shocked - if anyone who purported to call themselves a professional roaster did not own a copy of this book.

The book itself is unashamedly technical and dry. It isnt a thrilling read, nor does it have Promethean tendencies to illuminate the art, but it does make for an extremely useable reference.

Who should buy it: Serious cuppers. And, to borrow a phrase from Derryn Hinch, if you call yourself a professional roaster and you dont own a copy - shame, shame, shame.
    unquote
    ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 4753794214260 link=1232283238/1#1 date=1232332394
      if you call yourself a professional roaster and you dont own a copy - shame, shame, shame.
      Are you for real? If you havent got your copy yet how do you know its a "must have"? Be prepared to get shocked. I have no idea if the book is good, bad, or inbetween, but this pro-roaster doesnt have a copy and not likely to get one soon. :P

Comment

Hi Dennis,

au_d2 was quoting Lucas review on the blogspot..."This is a must have...etc. etc."

A little confusing. At first I too thought it was his own opinion, but then I checked the link. Quotations might have been useful!

sd

Comment

Im always interested in coffee books. Can anyone tell me where to buy it in aus? Otherwise maybe a sponsor would like to get some in - id get it as long as reasonably priced.

Comment

Hmmm,

Never found anything in book form but the various guides (with links to others) to be found on the "Coffee Research Organisation" website are very helpful. Heres the link to the beginning of the Roasting section in case you havent visited before... http://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/roasting.htm

Cheers,
            Mal.

Comment

Thank you all

Not sure how technical this gets as I havent got a copy YET, but the review peaked my curiosity ...
              I went and had a wee look at the site and read Lucas comments
              However while on the book link site I found this gem Under the training materials classification
              Anyone familiar with this book??

The Roasting Concepts
              http://www.scaa.org/shop/product_detail.asp?productid=R201900

Originally posted by 567B7F737E120 link=1232283238/5#5 date=1232358542
              Hmmm,

Never found anything in book form but the various guides (with links to others) to be found on the "Coffee Research Organisation" website are very helpful. Heres the link to the beginning of the Roasting section in case you havent visited before... http://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/roasting.htm

Cheers,
              Mal.
              Thanks Mal
              I had a close look at this site
              I have been to it in the past and just skimmed over it
              a little judicious reading is in order

KK

Comment

My favorite right now is www.bootcoffee.com/articles.html

CHAD

Comment

Originally posted by 4A5C5C5D5550575E4A390 link=1232283238/7#7 date=1232380209
                  My favorite right now is www.bootcoffee.com/articles.html

CHAD
                  This is good! Roastin aint roastin...

Comment

Yep, Boot is good.... ;D

Mal.

Comment

As a side note Boot has one of the only two sister machines that Ive been able to locate (the other one is in Probats museum) of my early 1950s 3-barrel Gothot.

Java "Roasting up a storm" phile

Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I have had a good read of both recommendations of online sources
                        from Mal & Chad

I am a little wiser now but practice will make it perfect better

Originally posted by 062D3A2D3C242520294C0 link=1232283238/10#10 date=1232694528
                        As a side note Boot has one of the only two sister machines that Ive been able to locate (the other one is in Probats museum) of my early 1950s 3-barrel Gothot.
                        Java "Roasting up a storm" phile

I will christen them the 3 sisters

KK

Comment

With most of our hybrid homebuilds you really need to learn how the beans are absorbing heat. The heat transfer abilities and limitations of a specific roaster. Large drum roaster have considerations such as stored energy that might not be an issue in one of our roasters. I think its more about the chemistry of roasting http://www.sweetmarias.com/roast.carlstaub.html
                          Your curve may differ,
                          farm

Comment

Thanks Ed
                            This is a great article and I seem to understand it all
                            I have read this article several times and I agree it is a balancing act

Our roasters are different in the way they work
                            I can however follow just about any roast curve

I find it better to use the thermocouple as a guide for time over temp
                            But I let the bean tell me whats right
                            Thats the beauty of the turbo roaster you can see the bean changing before your eyes
                            My First Cracks almost always start between 9 min and 12 min and I am pretty happy with that
                            But the evenness of the roast to second crack I attribute that to the constant visual contact I have with that roast and a certain smell that gives me a cue
                            Its hard to explain that smell but I know when its just right

So in essence I currently use a little of both science and gut feeling with a little help from my senses

The test roast results speak for themselves

Keep the information coming as I do read it all

Regards
                            KK

Comment

General tips for roasting general categories would be helpful:

1) High-grown
                              2) Hard Bean
                              3) Dry Process
                              4) Wet Process
                              5) Low-grown

I heat low-grown and wet-process coffees with more gradual ramps and lower temps until first crack than the others listed. Thats about as specific as I get.

The heatgun-breadmaker is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades with regard to profiles. It can be heated very fast, very slow, and everywhere in between.

CHAD

Comment

Working...
                              X