Re: USB Temperature Data Logger Thermocouple and RoastMonitorUSB software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USB Temperature Data Logger Thermocouple and RoastMonitorUSB software

Andy, this is tremendous news,- Have I bought the 1st 1?
    Timing is excellent. My new corretto is almost ready for its 1st trial.
    Many thanks for your work on this and the software
    Richard

Great news Andy

Im just waiting for your tests on Vista :

As soon as the results are positive, Ill order one

Regards,

Warren.

Comment

Id like to get one of these, but Ill have to buy a notebook computer first (I dont think the thermocouple cord will stretch to reach my desktop). Mmm..most notebooks use Vista now. I guess a Netbook using XP would be OK.

Woo hoo!! Just reached 100 posts!

Comment

Originally posted by 42776466607C050 link=1236075603/1#1 date=1236078940
        Have I bought the 1st 1?
        Yep, lucky 1st but only by a couple of minutes! It will be in the post tomorrow after I finish roasting.

Originally posted by 716A75766D6A71050 link=1236075603/2#2 date=1236080135
        just waiting for your tests on Vista
        Well this reply is being sent from my Vista notebook that was happy to run the software and it found the meter without any trouble too.

Im running Vista Business Version 6.0 SP1 but I would expect it wil run in all versions of Vista if it worked on this one.

On XP and Vista, after plugging the meter into the USB and turning it on for the first time Microsoft will go through the Installing new device" pop-up on the Taskbar and then tell you that your "new device is ready to use".

If you later open you device manager you will see 2 new items under "Human Interface Devices":

+ Human Interface Devices
        + HID-compliant device
        + USB Human Interface

but you dont need to do anything with them, it should work if they exist.

Comment

Originally posted by 5A515A4249540E0C3B0 link=1236075603/3#3 date=1236083731
          but Ill have to buy a notebook computer first  
          Im sure you can scronge a second hand notebook for free or pretty close to free.  Most of the 3 or 4 year old notebooks are old enough to have dodgy battery life and you can get them very cheap.  As long as you are running it with the power cord then battery life doesnt matter!

I dont think the thermocouple cord will stretch to reach my desktop
          Ill do some tests tomorrow when Im roasting to see how long a USB cable this will run.  I think the USB standard is only 5 meters but I know often it will work over a longer distance.

I have seen some ethernet to USB converters that will work over 200 meters!!!  (but they are far more expensive than a USB extension)

most notebooks use Vista now. I guess a Netbook using XP would be OK
          It appears the new roast monitor will work with both XP and Vista but remember... Vista sucks!  Really sucks.  XP is pretty stable and gives far less grief with everything.

I just bought a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (as a rule I dont like Dell but this is pretty generic and Dell didnt Dell it yet).  I got it through Vodafone with a 3G mobile data plan but I know someone that just got one for a little over $400.  It runs XP home and the meter and RoastMonitorUSB software worked fine on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 7C7379641D0 link=1236075603/5#5 date=1236084375
            Im sure you can scronge a second hand notebook for free or pretty close to free.
            The new sponsor, O’Maras Valuers & Auctioneers sometimes have some old laptops come in.
            Contact them and see if they have any at the moment.

Originally posted by 7C7379641D0 link=1236075603/5#5 date=1236084375
            I just bought a Dell Inspiron Mini 9
            My daughter brought one home a few weeks ago (she works for Vodafone).
            They are so cute.

Comment

Great Looking Data Logger There Andy. I just placed my order, I have been waiting with bated breath for this one.

Cheers Mate and many thanks.. Gra Tool bar is great too..

Comment

OMaras is a good idea TG.

she works for Vodafone
                She might get a few sales here!

Comment

Have been waiting for this to get started, so just placed my order (with a starter pack, some coco, a book etc) cant wait. Am off to buy my heat gun etc to get cracking!!!! ;D

Comment

Andy

Im impressed!  Youve shipped already - less than 24hrs.

And if I read "other stuff" correctly, 1/3 of the DMMs have also gone in under 24hrs. You must be pleased.

Comment

Another data logger SOLD

A new "coffee" toy to play with

He/She with the most toys wins

Comment

Yet another sold.

To those that have made a move to the side of goodness and light :P (Mac), a report on how it works with on a MacBook Pro running Windows via Parallels for Desktop will follow shortly.

Comment

I know I may be a pain with this question

How do I or can the unit take 2 temperatures using 2 probes
                          1 for the bean temp & 1 for the ambient roaster temp :-/

My roaster would suit such a set-up

KK

Comment

I dont use a data logger but do record the ambient temperature (manually) before starting the roasts.
                            It doesnt change much (if at all) in 20 minutes.

Comment

Thanks TG and Andy for your comments. I looked at the OMaras site and also the Bay of Evil, but cant yet find a cheap notebook. I cant find the Dell Mini 9 for less than $599. I dont want to sign up with Vodafone for $55 per month to get free Dell.

Comment

Working...
                              X