This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WhatEverBeansNecessary View Post
    Looks great DBC, plan to use this mostly for filter or espresso?
    Mainly espresso. Tried it this morning through the triple basket. Crema monster! This pic had already settled for 30 seconds In the cup it was thick with nicely balanced acidity. Hard to pick particular flavours at this time but perhaps some leather and aniseed. Might need to try another one soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	D430C534-6E44-46E8-9E68-15C3F44100E9.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	681.6 KB
ID:	746580
    Attached Files

Comment

• Peru Ceja de Selva 'A'

Been a while since I enjoyed the Peru CdS 'A' as an SO so thought I should put that right...

Stayed with the shorter profile as this really comes up trumps in the Brazen and very nice with other brew methods as well. Dumped and cooled at 218C with the usual gorgeous aromas coming off the cooler.

Can't wait...

Batch details below with Profile and post-roast photos attached.
      The "glitch" at the end of the profile is just some EMR interference from somewhere. Fan was already running, so not that.

Details...
      Peru CdS 'A'... 750g
      Roasted Weight... 635g
      Moisture Loss... 15.33%
      Attached Files

Comment

• First batch of Monsoon Malabar in aaaaages. Roast went well and it looks good so I’m hopeful it’ll turn out quite nice. I’ll let you know when I open it in 3 weeks time! [emoji28]

Comment

• Looks very yummy mate....
          Gonna take a lot of willpower to leave this alone for that long.

Mal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimal View Post
            Looks very yummy mate....
            Gonna take a lot of willpower to leave this alone for that long.

Mal.
            Maybe 2 weeks..... we’ll see. From previous experience 2 weeks is probably enough, but no less.

Comment

• Thats one fine looking batch of beans Leroy.
              First tried monsoon shortly after I got into home roasting many years ago. Don't know if it was my lack of experience/knowledge, insufficient resting time or the machine I was using at the time, but I wasn't impressed with the flavour and never got any more.
              Fast forward 10 years and I was given a bag with some roasting and resting advice from Di Bartoli when I updated my Hottop roaster.
              BOOM. What a different experience second time around!
              I was totally blown away by every step, so clean and easy to roast and the pour, wow, not to mention the flavour.
              Everyone who has had a cup or I have given a bag of beans to, has commented.
              It has since been included in every green Beanbay order.
              Looking forward to reading your comments in a couple of weeks

Mal

Comment

• @LeroyC - that roast looks incredible! I know what’s going in my satchel next green bean order!

Comment

• Yes I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised by Monsoon Malabar when I tried it last year. I even enjoyed the occasional Aeropress for something a bit different. I fully accept that it’s not something everyone will like, but I enjoyed it. From what I’ve read it can vary in quality quite a bit so my supplier has obviously found a good source.

Comment

• First roast of the new year after returning from holidays. Yirgacheffe special prep, Colombian Volcan Galeras, Sulawesi Blue and Aceh Danau Laut Tawar. Left the hatch open so no airflow on the Colombian, so i didn't save the profile (probably turn out to be my best roast yet...)
                    Also forgot to take photos of the beans, nor did I measure weight loss. Figured these will be mostly gone before they hit their peak anyway.. will hopefully do another batch tonight or tomorrow depending on how the Xbox is calling.

Name:	20180119-AcehDanau120g.jpg
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	746603

Name:	20180119-SulawesiBlue120g.jpg
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	746604

Name:	20180120-YirgSpecPrep120g.jpg
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	746605

I modded the quest so that the fan now turns off at the zero setting, and ramps up from there (stock the fan runs even at zero). So far the beans are all smelling good, tasting this morning was decent as a soy latte the the columbian and some Yirg and Sulawesi added in.

Hoping 2018 is a solid year of learning and building roasting (and brewing) skills.

Comment

• Originally posted by Janus View Post
                      First roast of the new year after returning from holidays. Yirgacheffe special prep, Colombian Volcan Galeras, Sulawesi Blue and Aceh Danau Laut Tawar. Left the hatch open so no airflow on the Colombian, so i didn't save the profile (probably turn out to be my best roast yet...)
                      Also forgot to take photos of the beans, nor did I measure weight loss. Figured these will be mostly gone before they hit their peak anyway.. will hopefully do another batch tonight or tomorrow depending on how the Xbox is calling.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18128[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]18129[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]18130[/ATTACH]

I modded the quest so that the fan now turns off at the zero setting, and ramps up from there (stock the fan runs even at zero). So far the beans are all smelling good, tasting this morning was decent as a soy latte the the columbian and some Yirg and Sulawesi added in.

Hoping 2018 is a solid year of learning and building roasting (and brewing) skills.
                      Great to have ya back Janus

Comment

• YYYYYUSS!!! First roast with the Heatsnob! Okay so after a slight blip with the first two roasts (the the actual wires were plugged into the opposite plugs, and therefore the temperatures were going in reverse, down to 0 degrees then spiking up to (minus) 2000 degrees Celsius haha, lucky I figured that out, I was stumped XD. So I only properly recorded the third roast I did. It's a Colombian Red Bourbon Honey- Las Margaritas La Esperanza, a honey processed coffee. Have never roasted honey processed before, just did it on standard 1lb P2A on the Behmor and stopped it at different depths post-FC.

Looking at my profile, I'm pretty sure that's not really supposed to happen is it haha? The roast clearly stalling there and then DROPPING in temperature... I've never had access to seeing how the temps are during the roast (and this is just air temp, the probe was placed in through the side of the door, and hanging at the side of the inside of the Behmor, near the left wall). So maybe my cracking the door open upon Rolling FC was usually a mistake could I conclude? Seems to get temp going in other direction.

I'm a total noob to looking at temps and the general profile etc, all my experience was with sights and sounds prior to this, so it looks like I've got a lot to learn XD

Attached Files

Comment

• Looks like a yummy roast! You can easily use a bead probe through the spindle to measure bean temp, probably more meaningful.

I did a couple of roasted on the weekend. Panama Geisha - Don Pepe Washedand Costa Rica San Marcos Geisha. They are resting as we speak. First ever "fancy" bean roast. Can't wait to try these!!!

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by artman View Post
                            Looks like a yummy roast! You can easily use a bead probe through the spindle to measure bean temp, probably more meaningful.

I did a couple of roasted on the weekend. Panama Geisha - Don Pepe Washedand Costa Rica San Marcos Geisha. They are resting as we speak. First ever "fancy" bean roast. Can't wait to try these!!!

Cheers
                            Ah ok cheers for that . With the bead probe in Beanbay it says isn't the best for measuring bean temp (seems to suggest it's moreso due to wear and tear issue), have you used that one or a different one?

Comment

• Yeah, my 2cents the air temp is not really indicative of what's happening in the beans as they'll carry the heat even if you reduce the power of the roaster. I've got a heatsnob for BT, and a regular analogue thermometer for drum air temp, the air temp will vary quite a bit more than the bean temp with changes to power input.
                              You'd probably find they didn't stall if you'd been monitoring the BT.. Roast looks good.

I had my best result at following a profile last night, finishing off the competition beans the BT temps matched almost exactly the entire roast. Running out of the Yigacheffe special prep, will order another bag what a great bean.

Comment

• Originally posted by Janus View Post
                                Yeah, my 2cents the air temp is not really indicative of what's happening in the beans as they'll carry the heat even if you reduce the power of the roaster. I've got a heatsnob for BT, and a regular analogue thermometer for drum air temp, the air temp will vary quite a bit more than the bean temp with changes to power input.
                                You'd probably find they didn't stall if you'd been monitoring the BT.. Roast looks good.

I had my best result at following a profile last night, finishing off the competition beans the BT temps matched almost exactly the entire roast. Running out of the Yigacheffe special prep, will order another bag what a great bean.
                                Ah yeah I have heard that it's not true bean temp, but also heard that consistency is really what's most important. But going by that last roast I did, it'd maybe be a bit tricky to get that consistency, as the temp rose, then kept falling through that last portion, so did I get my roast (in air temp that is) to end at 124? Because it actually reached 124 a few times during the roast haha, so I can't really replicate that by just stopping when I reach 124 next time. Unless I follow that same pattern and wait it out.

Me thinks I'll get the Behmor plus panel upgrade and take that next step, so I can get that consistency and control over the roast, and maybe a bead probe through the spindle possibly.. Thanks Janis appreciate it

Comment

Working...
                                X