This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks mate....

It's going to be a real struggle waiting long enough before cracking a bag open.

Mal.

Comment

• Ethiopian Guji Haro Lebetu Natural Grade 1 MicroLot. Just out of the roaster, so haven't tried it yet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0309.jpg Views:	0 Size:	250.1 KB ID:	825831

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimal View Post
        Batch Details:
        Ethiopia Shakisso Estate - 400g
        India El. Hills Peaberry - 350g
        Roasted Weight - 634g
        Weight Loss - 15.47%
        The Shakisso Estate contribution to this blend is a real knockout.
        Loads of dark berry flavours and delicious dark chocolate with a nicely balanced acidity.
        Works really well with the India El.Hills and as a combo, is impossible to stop at just one cuppa.
        Tried as Cold Brew, Espresso and Filter via the Brazen. It is particularly fruity out of the brazen and very easy to knock back a couple of brews before you realise it.

Can only imagine what the Shakisso would be like as a single origin brew...

Mal.

Comment

The Shakisso Estate contribution to this blend is a real knockout.
          Loads of dark berry flavours and delicious dark chocolate with a nicely balanced acidity.
          Works really well with the India El.Hills and as a combo, is impossible to stop at just one cuppa.
          Tried as Cold Brew, Espresso and Filter via the Brazen. It is particularly fruity out of the brazen and very easy to knock back a couple of brews before you realise it.

Mal.
          Sounds amazing Mal!

The Shakisso is delightful and versatile; I've really enjoyed it as a single origin roasted to around a CS7/8 through the V60.
          Roasted another SO batch to around a CS8/9 for my parents to make up cold brew, will be interested to hear how that goes!
          Also experimented quite a bit in the last week or so with it in espresso blends. I tried and liked the India Elephant Hills/Shakisso at a 30/70 mix, but my favourite so far for milk based drinks has been the addition of the Huehuetenango, absolutely delicious.

65g India Elephant Hills, 65g Guatemala Huehuetenango, 120g Ethiopia Shakisso
          250g in, 211g out = 15.6%

I've just roasted another batch with slightly different ratios and just a touch lighter to try to draw a little bit more out of the Huehue character:

65g India Elephant Hills, 85g Guatemala Huehuetenango, 100g Ethiopia Shakisso
          250g in, 213g out = 14.8%

Comment

• Spot on "MxD"...

Pretty hard to pass up on any of those beans in a blend mate; all excellent beans.
            The Huehue' is one of my favourites too. I am going to try a blend with a small amount of Jacaltenango next time, similar to the Huehue but slightly more apple in the flavour profile. Should go well together too...

Mal.

Comment

Mal.
              Just tried my first roast of this. Roasted a week ago. They don't come much better than this. Quintessential top Ethiopian coffee. I don't think it's going to last long

Comment

• Time to roast for espresso again. Another batch of my current favourite for espresso- Nicaragua Jumbo Bourbon. Had a little accident at the end and dropped most of it, but managed to salvage a good amount so only lost about 45g in the end. Hate it when that happens. Glad I’ve only done it a couple of times over the years.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Another roast today. Costa Rica Maracaturra red honey process for filter brews. Didn’t drop any today either.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Looks great Leroy, what are you roasting on?

Comment

• Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
                      Looks great Leroy, what are you roasting on?
                      A Behmor 1600+ at home.

Comment

• Need another Ethiopia blend, our Shakisso combo is nearly finished...

To slow down the urge to keep ripping into the Shakisso blend, have chosen to go with a Gambella Sundried based one this time, the details posted below.
                        Went with a slightly quicker profile with this batch, as that definitely seems to suit the Gambella but not so quick as to cause issues with either the Mandheling or the Goroka which are both beautiful in the cup and I'm sure will work nicely.

Stopped the roast at ~220C and immediately dumped and cooled. As with the Shakisso blend previously, the aroma coming off the cooler was really, really nice. Another one that's going to test my abilities to resist cracking a bag open too early...

As usual, batch details and post-roast photos attached below. For some reason, the 1st-Crack label didn't stick but it occurred at ~200C.

Mal.

Batch Details:
                        Ethiopia Gambella Sundried - 400g
                        PNG Goroka 'A' - 200g
                        Sumatra Mandheling Triple Sort - 150g
                        Roasted Weight - 634g
                        Weight Loss - 15.47%

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200511-Eth.GmbllaSunDried_PNG-Goroka'A'_MandhelingTripleSort.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	827098 Click image for larger version

Name:	Eth.GmbllaSunDried_PNG-Goroka'A'_MandhelingTripleSort_No-Flash.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	827099 Click image for larger version

Name:	Eth.GmbllaSunDried_PNG-Goroka'A'_MandhelingTripleSort_W-Flash.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	827100

Comment

• On May 10 I roasted a batch of Mal's Yemen blend with the same ratios Mal uses (as below) but a batch size of 450g.

Yemeni Blend Details:
                          Yemen Ismaili... 400g
                          Indonesia Sulawesi Blue... 200g
                          India El. Hills 'AA'... 150g
                          Rather than preheating my KKTO to 170° before loading, this time I adopted Mal's technique of loading cold and running a drying phase to reach 100° in roughly 7 mins.
                          All good until I had a senior moment and absentmindedly clicked Stop on the CS software. This meant I had to continuously click Load to plot progress until stopping the roast before second crack at 218°. It was a mixture of experience and guess work that got me to the end and I thought I had flubbed the roast.

I cracked the bag at day 10 and the taste was a bit flat and indifferent until...
                          day 12 (yesterday) I started getting chocolate notes . Hmmm..promising. Yemen roasts are known to be late bloomers.
                          Then, this morning, wow! A distinct and prominent fruit jam note cutting through the milk . Sorry, I couldn't tell you which fruit but raspberry at a guess. Later today I enjoyed this as an espresso with the same fruity notes with a lingering chocolatey finish. Definitely one of the best espresso I have enjoyed for some time.
                          This is the 4th or 5th time I have made this blend with either Yemen or Ethiopian beans and definitely the best result so far.
                          Last edited by flynnaus; 3 days ago.

Comment

• shewey
                            shewey commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sounds delicious. One of my biggest regrets was not getting some of the Yemen Ismaili when Andy brought it in.

• flynnaus
                            flynnaus commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You can always go for the Ethiopian Gambella, known as the poor man's Yemen. Not in the same class as the Bani Ismaili but close enough. Not the easiest bean to roast but when you nail it, it is superb.

• And it just keeps getting better until the last bean has been ground . Terrific coffee and we have enough left for just one more batch, so something to look forward to down the track...

Mal.

Comment

• flynnaus
                            flynnaus commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You're not wrong. This morning's brew was exquisite.

• It was time to roast some more coffee for espresso duties this week and this was the last batch of Nicaragua Jumbo Bourbon. I’ve been really happy with this coffee. I generally prefer blends for my morning cappuccino, but this one has been a great all rounder. Not bad as a black coffee, but actually really good with milk. I was tempted to grab some more, but I decided to try something different so I’ve ordered a Mexican coffee instead.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Following my success with Mal's Yemen Blend, I returned to an old classic this morning: 50% Ethiopian Harrar Longberry, 50% Sulawesi Blue. Well it isn't classic Mocha Java as it is using neither Yemen nor Java beans but it has been a CS favourite.
                            The roast finished faultlessly using the same profile as the Yemen blend. Judging from the aroma coming from the roasting room (aka the laundry), it smells promising.

Ambient temp: 17o
                            Batch weight: 450g
                            Roasted weight:372g
                            17% moisture loss

In followed the same profile as the Yemen blend: Heat from cold to 100o in 7 mins
                            Turn up and heat to 140o when beans begin to yellow.Continue to 160o at ~7o/min then full blast to around 200o (I can't hear 1st crack but signs were that it occurred around here). Dropped back to 4-5o/min until stopping the roast at 218o. By the time I dumped the roast it my cooler, I heard a couple of cracks signalling the 2nd crack wasn't far off.

I don't have a photo but it was a bit blotchy as Harrar roasts tend to be.

Comment

Working...
                            X