Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta love a good Harrar blend. Was one of my favourites when I first started roasting at home...
    Should be a good'n too.

Mal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimal View Post
      Gotta love a good Harrar blend. Was one of my favourites when I first started roasting at home...
      Should be a good'n too.

Mal.
      Looking forward to it Mal.
      In the meantime I cracked a bag of Gambella/Colombian/Peru this morning that I roasted on May 16. Already sweet and slightly chocolatey looking forward to this one improving over the next few days.

Comment

• Here is the RoastMonitor profile I used for the Harrar-Sulawesi blend mentioned at post 2475 in this topic
        Attached Files

Comment

• Nice and gentle always seems to bring out the best in Harrar for me, so that profile should be close to spot-on...

Mal.

Comment

• Time for a "Bag-End" Bitza blend this time around...

Used a gentle profile for this one as there is a wide variety of bean densities between the different bean origins.
            Took the roast to the cusp of 2nd-Crack where a few lazy snaps could be heard when dumped into the cooler. Lovely aroma as always; gotta love roasting your own coffee...

Roast profile and post-roast photos attached as per usual.

Mal.

Batch Details:
            Guatemala Jacaltenango SHB
            Peru CdS 'A'
            Ethiopia Ghimbi
            Ethiopia Sidamo Guji
            Roasted Weight - 630g
            Weight Loss - 16.00%
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimal View Post
              Time for a "Bag-End" Bitza blend this time around... Used a gentle profile for this one as there is a wide variety of bean densities between the different bean origins. Took the roast to the cusp of 2nd-Crack where a few lazy snaps could be heard when dumped into the cooler. Lovely aroma as always; gotta love roasting your own coffee... Roast profile and post-roast photos attached as per usual. Mal. Batch Details: Guatemala Jacaltenango SHB Peru CdS 'A' Ethiopia Ghimbi Ethiopia Sidamo Guji Roasted Weight - 630g Weight Loss - 16.00%
              Ahhh... gotta love a good Bag-End blend-up! And WOW... now that is a cool mix!

Comment

• Looks like a good'n Mal. 😎
                I imagine you didn't have equal quantities of each in making up your usual batch of 750g. Which bean/s did you have the most of?

Comment

• I managed to roast two batches on Friday, both honey process coffees. The first was the Costa Rican Maracaturra that I’ve had for a while. The second was a newly arrived coffee - Colombia La Cabańa. I was hoping for a filter roast profile on both, but the La Cabańa especially got away on me. It will probably actually be spot on for single origin espresso though so I’ll definitely still be keen to try it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Dimal
                    Dimal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Both look pretty darn nice Leroy... 8-)

• Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
                  Looks like a good'n Mal. 😎
                  I imagine you didn't have equal quantities of each in making up your usual batch of 750g. Which bean/s did you have the most of?
                  Yep, quantities were all over the place and 'topped up' finally with a bit over a hundred grams of Peru CdS. I think the largest quantity would have been the Sidamo Guji. Squeezed one of the bags this morning and the aroma smells wonderful with quite a bit of dark berry in the foreground. Should be a good one...

Mal.

Comment

• I got my first natural process coffee Nicaraguan matagalpa kn ebay from bodhi leaf .The first couple roasts didn't turn out good i roasted too fast .I turned down the heat and roasted it about 16 min and wow very good

Comment

• Has been awhile since I posted a roast as wasn't sure if I should. Anyway, I'm here, I hope you're all doing well in these times... and hoping you can all find solace in the great world that is coffee.

I did a roast awhile ago, then bought some already roasted beans just to treat myself which I'm still getting through, now just finished a roast today. Did 2 batches of a Colombian and 1 Uganda.

Really loved this Colombian and may order more just because, tried to get it the same roast as last time but it went only just a tad darker. I tried going to 50% at RFC instead of FC, as last time it stalled a bit around the end of FC, so that slight extra portion under higher heat may be why it turned out darker at this stage.

The Uganda I tried a 400g batch, just to see how it would hold up. Turned out well but it was a slow crawl, even at full heat for alot of it! Was a 17 minute roast! The graph looks quite funny haha but am very keen to see how they all taste. Really need to take all my photos under the SAME light source :P
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by simonsk8r; 3 weeks ago. Reason: Because Tapatalk no longer believes in paragraph spacing! XD

Comment

• Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
                        Has been awhile since I posted a roast as wasn't sure if I should. Anyway, I'm here, I hope you're all doing well in these times... and hoping you can all find solace in the great world that is coffee. I did a roast awhile ago, then bought some already roasted beans just to treat myself which I'm still getting through, now just finished a roast today. Did 2 batches of a Colombian and 1 Uganda. Really loved this Colombian and may order more just because, tried to get it the same roast as last time but it went only just a tad darker. I tried going to 50% at RFC instead of FC, as last time it stalled a bit around the end of FC, so that slight extra portion under higher heat may be why it turned out darker at this stage. The Uganda I tried a 400g batch, just to see how it would hold up. Turned out well but it was a slow crawl, even at full heat for alot of it! Was a 17 minute roast! The graph looks quite funny haha but am very keen to see how they all taste. Really need to take all my photos under the SAME light source :P
                        Simon, how did you get ‘end of FC’ and weight loss on the screen?

Comment

• Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
                          Simon, how did you get ‘end of FC’ and weight loss on the screen?
                          It was something I started doing a little while ago and found it is easier in 'workflow'. During roasting I just quickly scrawl down with pen and paper most the details, as I found it too rushed to try and type everything while it's all happening. I wanted to focus! And especially as sometimes temp numbers that appear on the graph can obscure the text you put in. ANYWAY, after I've finished the roast I save the jpeg, right-click on the pic file and just go edit :P. You can write whatever details you want on there, find it helpful to have all that on there. And I leave about 30mins total between each roast so that gives me enough time to cool the beans, weigh, bag, clean away chaff from everything, get next beans ready and write all those details in.

Comment

• Need some more Shakisso Estate...
                            Roasted up a batch today blended with Brazil origins this time instead of the previous India El.Hills; just as a comparison.

Put a bit more heat into the batch at the start this time and allowed the profile to slowly taper off. Needed a bit of help near the end though as it wasn't slowing down fast enough. Took the batch just to the edge of 2nd-Crack without actually hitting it and then immediately dumped and cooled. As before, absolutely wonderful aromas coming from the cooler.

Copy of roast profile and post-roast photos attached as per usual.

Mal.

Batch Details:
                            Ethiopia Shakisso Estate - 400g
                            Brazil Pulped Natural - 350g
                            Roasted Weight - 626g
                            Weight Loss - 16.53%
                            Attached Files

Comment

• wirecutter23
                              wirecutter23 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I was thinking of doing something very similar - please share how it tastes!

• Dimal
                              Dimal commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yep, will do in a few days time... :-)
                              But I would go ahead with a batch now, as the Shakisso Estate is a wonderful bean and the Brazil is mainly used by me to extend the life of the Shakisso I have on hand. ;-)
                              Last edited by Dimal; 3 weeks ago.

• Batch Details:
                            Ethiopia Shakisso Estate - 400g
                            Brazil Pulped Natural - 350g
                            Roasted Weight - 626g
                            Weight Loss - 16.53%
                            This has turned out to be an even lovelier result in the cup than the first batch, and that was a beauty...
                            As a result of using a different profile, the fruitiness is even more pronounced (loads of dark berries), super sweet and mucho dark cocoa. Just delicious.
                            When grinding, the wonderful dark berry aroma wafts through the whole house giving the impression that someone is baking a blueberry/boysenberry pie. The Brazil provides a great background to the flamboyant Shakisso Estate which suits us perfectly.

This a real good'n and highly recommended.

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                            X