Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well it’s not my roaster, but I’ve been driving it for the last couple of hours. Roasting coffee from Finca Churupampa in Peru today. Due to COVID this is only the second shift I’ve done at the cafe since March. It’s good to get back to it and find out that I haven’t forgotten everything. I’m definitely having to concentrate more, but it all went pretty well.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimal View Post
      Glad to hear that the experimentation is paying dividends Simon. I'll be going back to extended Maillard phase profiles too. Definitely produces a more balanced and sweet outcome for my palate. Mal.
      Yeah the more I read about it the more I really want to nail that... common thought seems to be lowering heat so that you're spending about 2 minutes in between 140-160°, so RoR of 10°/m. It's a juggle with my Behmor, as most of the time the thermocouple will detect a fan kicking in at around 170° or so, but that temp will be earlier when you lower the heat (will occur at 150°) so hard to plan round that haha. Guess I'll just watch the RoR and assume things are going as planned, and at about 2mins in kick the heat up to normal.

Comment

• It's a bit easier using a Corretto but you still have to be on the ball; that's half the fun though...

Mal.

Comment

• Roast day again today...

Was gifted a bag of Ethiopian Guji Wamena Gr.1 for Father's Day so naturally, have to give this interesting Ethiopian offering a go ASAP.
          Combined with Brazil Pulped Natural beans (to stretch out the goodness a little longer) which works really well with the Shakisso Estate.

Returned to the extended Maillard Reaction Profile, as after sticking with more conventional profiles for several months, have decided that the former produces sweeter and more interesting results in the cup for me. Not by a huge margin but enough that you can definitely identify the difference in pretty well all the coffees we have in our stash.

Took the batch to the edge of 2nd-Crack (my preference) and then immediately dumped and cooled. Flooded the neighbourhood with lovely roasted coffee aromas again. Can't hide the results of this hobby...

Batch details and Roast Profile, with post-roast photos attached below.

Mal.

Batch Details:
          Ethiopia Guji Wamena Gr.1 - 400g
          Brazil Pulped Natural - 350g
          Roasted Weight - 629g
          Weight Loss - 16.13%
          Attached Files

Comment

• Something I meant to add...

When switching between the two types of profiles I've been using, it is very noticeable after bagging up the beans, that when using the extended Maillard profile, much more gas is produced during the rest stage. The bags literally blow up like balloons, whereas with a more standard profile, much less gas is produced. Anyone have ideas of what might be going on and why?
            Mal.

Comment

• saeco_user
              saeco_user commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Mal, do you have a standard profile to compare with? Looks to be only a very slight Seattle dip in above graph. How much longer would you guess the Maillard profile roasts in the maillard zone than with the standard profile? Also, do you store in CS bags? If so, do you heat seal them? Just wondering why they swell at all.

• Ideas anyone?
            It's a very consistent phenomenon and very repeatable.

Mal.

Comment

Ideas anyone? It's a very consistent phenomenon and very repeatable. Mal.
              Yes that makes sense Mal as it will be more developed. The more developed the faster the CO2 escapes after roasting due to the bean structure being less dense and further broken down.

Comment

• Dimal
                Dimal commented
                Editing a comment
                Even with the same roast endpoint?

• I agree with Leroy's answer. I have had some thinking time on this exact phenomenon , so please indulge me whilst i share.

Mal did you also notice that the resting times or drinkability windows are different. If your second profile develops more Co2 quicker , does that also lead to a different taste in the cup on the same day post roast.?

Comment

• Hmmm, will do my best...

Bags are usually cracked at around the 5-8 day post roast stage.

The standard profile results in a sweet and tasty result in the cup with noticeable acidity present, and with plenty of fruity aromatics present during grinding. Overall, the cup is somewhat brighter over the palate, not a lot of chocolate noticeable except in the finish where it is a clean dark cocoa flavour. Would describe the body as light to medium.

The extended Maillard Phase profile at the same stage of opening has a much more noticeable aromatic presence that is very fruity and very sweet (where the grind setting for espresso is several notches coarser). This is replicated in the cup with probably more soft spiciness, a bit more of a chocolaty finish. The flavour profile remains at this level for quite a few days and tends to more chocolate in the flavour profile as time progresses. The fruitiness and sweetness does not diminish to any real extent right to the last bean and the body is more towards the medium to high range.

Mal.

Comment

• This is what I have gleaned from reading too many coffee books. Carbon dioxide is a byproduct of the Maillard process. The Maillard process starts at the Maillard phase until the end of the roast. The longer the Maillard process, the more carbon dioxide is produced and trapped within the coffee. Assuming that the development phase has not been shortened, that would explain why your roast with a longer Maillard process expels more carbon dioxide during resting.

Comment

• Ah, rightio...

That sounds like a working theory FNQ.
                    Thanks for taking the trouble mate, much appreciated...

Mal.

Comment

• Dimal
                      Dimal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sorry, that should be thank you to "lancruiser"...
                      Thanks mate.

Hmmm, will do my best... Bags are usually cracked at around the 5-8 day post roast stage. The standard profile results in a sweet and tasty result in the cup with noticeable acidity present, and with plenty of fruity aromatics present during grinding. Overall, the cup is somewhat brighter over the palate, not a lot of chocolate noticeable except in the finish where it is a clean dark cocoa flavour. Would describe the body as light to medium. The extended Maillard Phase profile at the same stage of opening has a much more noticeable aromatic presence that is very fruity and very sweet (where the grind setting for espresso is several notches coarser). This is replicated in the cup with probably more soft spiciness, a bit more of a chocolaty finish. The flavour profile remains at this level for quite a few days and tends to more chocolate in the flavour profile as time progresses. The fruitiness and sweetness does not diminish to any real extent right to the last bean and the body is more towards the medium to high range. Mal.
                    That post made me thirsty can’t wait until my morning brew now!

Comment

• Been off the home roasting wagon for the past few months - laziness and fatigue the main excuses. So i finally got around to throwing some Yirgacheffe into the corretto roaster last week - my goodness! The differences of a home roasted (with the appropriate profile) to a run of the mill blend and the local coffee shop. What have I been doing? Really packed with forward berry/fruit flavour - a pleasure as espresso, and with a little milk for the wife!! Back into the regular roasting for me!

Comment

• Batch Details:
                        Ethiopia Guji Wamena Gr.1 - 400g
                        Brazil Pulped Natural - 350g
                        Roasted Weight - 629g
                        Weight Loss - 16.13%
                        Cracked the first bag of this batch today and tried as espresso, long-black, mocha-pot and pour-over...
                        Basically, the resulting brews are very sweet with quite crisp acidity, some soft spiciness and a dark cocoa finish.
                        Can't really pick up any red-berry or other fruity influences at this stage so will see what happens as time progresses. A nice enough brew though, especially with the mocha-pot (of all things) which is very more-ish...

Mal.

Comment

• Today i am trying 40/40/20 blend of Mexican el Triunfo Aribigo/ PNG Wahgi / Indian Elephant Hills roasted to med / med dark (post roast blended and sampled on day 5 of rest). It is a bold espresso promising to keep me alert for hours. I am missing some of the spicy flavours of the Mexican... i think the Mexican and PNG are competing for flavour rather than complementing. It has a chocolatey lingering taste, but overall not a subtle blend.

Comment

Working...
                          X