This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I roasted on Saturday as well
    400g of Ethiopian Limu, I had intended on dumping it a bit short of 2nd crack to see what a lighter roast was like
    Then despite me asking Mrs sp0rk for half an hour uninterrupted so I could concentrate, she decided to come bug me constantly and unfortunately I didn't end up dumping until rolling 2nd crack had just started
    I noticed a little oilyness, but fingers crossed it's not too bad

Comment

• Dimal
      Dimal commented
      Editing a comment
      she decided to come bug me constantly
      Gotta pay attention to the boss....

• I roasted 400g of Nicaragua Datanli el Diablo Natural process two days ago. 10 minute roast to vigorous first crack and then into the cooler. The aroma coming off the beans was full of fruit and smelt amazing. Today I did a brew with my Clever Dripper and mesh cone, 35g beans, 300g water at 88C steep for 2 minutes. After letting it cool down a little I could smell the fruit and berry aroma emanating for the cup, took a sip and had an explosion of fruit and berries, smooth, clean and super tasty--WOW!!!!!

Comment

• Dimal
      Dimal commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a wonderful bean alright 'gm'.
      Used up the last of our batch just today and still terrific in the cup.

• Completed the Christmas 'Cold Brew' blend today...

Also went with the gorgeous "Nicaragua Datanli el Diablo", blended with Brazil Pulped Natural to stretch out the enjoyment of this terrific bean.
    Went with a lighter roast today as this blend will be consumed primarily as Cold Brew with the odd Brazen and AeroPress brews on cooler days.
    Stopped and immediately cooled at ~216C this time, using a fairly gentle profile. Don't worry about noise at the start of the profile, that was me bumping the data stream button...

As always, wonderful aromas coming off the cooler, promising another mouth-watering series of brews over Chrissy.
    Copy of batch blend details below, with roast profile and post-roast photos attached.

Mal.

Batch Details:
    Nicaragua Datanli el Diablo - 450g
    Brazil Pulped Natural - 300g
    Roasted Weight - 644g
    Weight Loss - 14.13%
    Attached Files

Comment

• greenman
      greenman commented
      Editing a comment
      Did a cold brew of the Diablo this week, totally delicious, I also added 7g of the light roasted Diablo to my TRG espresso blend and did some long blacks, wow they were amazing!!!

• First roast of a new coffee for me last night. This is PNG Iwaki AX roasted for espresso. Seems to be a fairly dense coffee, but it roasted ok so hopefully the results are good.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Batch Details:
      Nicaragua Datanli el Diablo - 450g
      Brazil Pulped Natural - 300g
      Roasted Weight - 644g
      Weight Loss - 14.13%
      Having a really hard time waiting to crack a bag open of this wonderful coffee.
      The aromas coming out of the 1-Way Valve are to die for, with an overriding predominance of very sweet pineapple, would you believe...

Mal.

Comment

• Dimal
        Dimal commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, managed to wait it out and crack a bag open for some cold-brew last night.
        Tried some this morning, and wow. This bean is an absolute kicker with so much fruitiness going on, it's hard to know where to start. 'gm' had it described correctly above, this is best described as a Fruit Bomb in all the ways that you can imagine. And, this is blended with some Brazil to eek out some extra brews out of a bag of green, so not a 100% single origin.

Fantastic coffee...

Mal.

• dimmy
        dimmy commented
        Editing a comment
        Dimal, have you tried this in a milk based drink?

• Dimal
        Dimal commented
        Editing a comment
        Not as yet dimmy, it is just so enjoyable 'as is'...

• A pre-roast blend of Peru Chirinos and PNG Iwaki AX for espresso duties this week:
      Attached Files

Comment

• Roasted up another Ethiopian blend over the weekend...

This time, Gambella Sundried blended with Sumatra Mandheling Triple Sort. The last batch of this one was a real beaut.
        A gentle profile was used once again and taken to ~216C then dumped and immediately cooled. The end results both looked and smelled great so going to have to use restraint once again before cracking a bag open.

Blend details below with Roast Profile and Post-Roast photos attached...

Mal.

Batch Details:
        Ethiopia Gambella Sundried - 450g
        Sumatra Mandheling Triple Sort - 300g
        Roasted Weight - 639g
        Weight Loss - 14.8%
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimal View Post
          Roasted up another Ethiopian blend over the weekend...

This time, Gambella Sundried blended with Sumatra Mandheling Triple Sort. The last batch of this one was a real beaut.
          A gentle profile was used once again and taken to ~216C then dumped and immediately cooled. The end results both looked and smelled great so going to have to use restraint once again before cracking a bag open.

Blend details below with Roast Profile and Post-Roast photos attached...

Mal.

Batch Details:
          Roasted Weight - 639g
          Weight Loss - 14.8%
          What’s the flavour profile mate?

Comment

• Dimal
            Dimal commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll let you know once we've tried it...

• Batch Details:
          Roasted Weight - 639g
          Weight Loss - 14.8%
          Well, this is another real ripper of a coffee blend, thanks mainly to the Gambella.
          Tried as a Cold Brew, Pour-over and Espresso. Haven't tried in the AeroPress as yet.

Has an overall very sweet rich, dried fruit flavour which to me tastes mainly of Muscatels with a bit of a Currant piquancy just after swallowing, huge body that you nearly have to chew through, some lovely soft spiciness that is reminiscent of cardamom and a touch of cinnamon, and some quite noticeable earthiness and umami courtesy of the Mandheling that is then overtaken by a lovely, lingering sweet dark chocolate finish.

Highly recommend this combo...

Mal.

Comment

• Not sure if I've just lucked onto a good home roast or the latest Gambella is a really tasty bean. Have also roasted the latest Sidamo Ardi and perhaps the opposite situation seems to be the case. Time will tell perhaps.
            Gambella as a single flat white with my latest roast is even more enjoyable than recent Shakisso Coffees. I think that is a pretty big wrap on my part.

Have just copied your blend but roasted individually.

Comment

• Dimal
              Dimal commented
              Editing a comment
              Have just copied your blend but roasted individually.
              You'll have to come back and let us know how this blend works for you...

• Sure, I'll be back in about 7 days.

Comment

• Today, I finally dug out the KKTO, at the threat of some fine weather.

Roasted so far 2.5kg of Brazil Yellow Bourbon to CS7-8, and 2.5kg of Ethiopia Yirgacheffe to CS10-11, as per the attached image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210116_015656699.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	590.6 KB
ID:	854307

Comment

Working...
              X