X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westy5
    commented on 's reply
    I replicated this one after seeing your post. I’m only new to this caper but hands down the best coffee I’ve ever had!!!!
    The Shakisso by itself was an interesting bean and and had a nice cherry or berry flavour. The Brazil Pulped Natural I think helped give it more backbone but didn’t overpower the fruitiness of the Ethiopian.
    This will be a regular in my house for sure.

• Dimal
    replied
    Time for another Shakisso hit...

No, I'm not addicted to it, just have to have more and more.
    Same blend as before, changed proportions just a little though.
    60% of the Shakisso this time, the rest is Brazil Pulped Natural...

Profile was pushed just a little more too but completed at the same finish point of ~220C.
    Just to heighten the fruitiness a little more but still should be plenty of dark chocolate to go around.
    As always, loved the wonderful aroma coming off the cooler when dumped and cooled; drooling just thinking about it...

Blend details with roast profile and post-roast photos below as per normal.

Mal.

Batch Details:
    Ethiopia Shakisso Estate - 450g
    Brazil Pulped Natural - 300g
    Roasted Weight - 628g
    Weight Loss - 16.27%

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805-Eth.ShakissoEstate_BrazilPulpedNaturals.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	837386 Click image for larger version

Name:	Eth.ShakissoEstate_BrazilPulpedNaturals_No-Flash.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	837387 Click image for larger version

Name:	Eth.ShakissoEstate_BrazilPulpedNaturals_W-Flash.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	837388
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• LeroyC
    replied
    I think this might be the first time I’ve roasted a Mexican coffee at home. This is a washed FTO coffee from the GRAPOS co-op in Chiapas. It looks to have roasted quite nicely so I’m looking forward to trying it.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    Well, the Ismaili blend from the last roast batch is nearly gone so had to get busy with another roast...

Sticking with another Ethiopian based blend, which are pretty much the staple around here.
    Blended with some very sweet and fruity Guatemala Jacaltenango beans and the PNG Goroka which contribute a very smooth and velvety mouthfeel.
    Took to the cusp of 2nd-Crack with a slightly faster than usual profile and then immediately dumped into the cooler.
    Wonderful aromas coming from the cooler again bodes well for a very nice cuppa ahead.

Copy of batch details and post-roast photos below...

Batch Details:
    Ethiopia Gambella Naturals - 350g
    PNG Goroka 'A' - 250g
    Guatemala Jacaltenango SHB - 150g
    Roasted Weight - 644g
    Weight Loss - 14.13%

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200720-Eth.GambellaNtrls_PNG-Goroka'A'_Guat.JacaltenangoSHB.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	835534 Click image for larger version

Name:	Eth.GambellaNtrls_PNG-Goroka'A'_Guat.JacaltenangoSHB_No-Flash.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	835535 Click image for larger version

Name:	Eth.GambellaNtrls_PNG-Goroka'A'_Guat.JacaltenangoSHB_W-Flash.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	835536

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    commented on 's reply
    This one for manual brewing Leroy?

• Dimal
    commented on 's reply
    Would have to be my favourite combo and worth the wait between access to new crops of the Yemen. Will really savour this one...

• LeroyC
    replied
    Another attempt at the Colombia La Cabaña honey process-
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• greenman
    replied
    Delicious sounding combo Mal, I have been imagining the flavours with a big smile on my face!

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    We're kind of hoeing through the Shakisso Estate blend so time for another roast...

Had enough Yemen left to combine with the Triple Sort Mandheling so decided to go with that.
    Used a similar length roast profile to the last batch, stopped just on 220C then dumped and immediately cooled. Our youngest son came home for lunch just as I was finishing up and he reckons the whole street smelled of freshly roasted coffee as soon as he opened the car door. Didn't think it dissipated quite that far but there you go...

Copies of the Roast Profile and Post-Roast photos attached...

Mal.

Batch Details:
    Yemen Ismaili - 500g
    Sumatra Mandheling Triple Sort - 250g
    Roasted Weight - 634g
    Weight Loss - 15.47%
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dimal; 3 July 2020, 12:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    Batch Details:
    Ethiopia Shakisso Estate - 400g
    Brazil Pulped Natural - 350g
    Roasted Weight - 626g
    Weight Loss - 16.53%
    This has turned out to be an even lovelier result in the cup than the first batch, and that was a beauty...
    As a result of using a different profile, the fruitiness is even more pronounced (loads of dark berries), super sweet and mucho dark cocoa. Just delicious.
    When grinding, the wonderful dark berry aroma wafts through the whole house giving the impression that someone is baking a blueberry/boysenberry pie. The Brazil provides a great background to the flamboyant Shakisso Estate which suits us perfectly.

This a real good'n and highly recommended.

Mal.

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, will do in a few days time... :-)
    But I would go ahead with a batch now, as the Shakisso Estate is a wonderful bean and the Brazil is mainly used by me to extend the life of the Shakisso I have on hand. ;-)
    Last edited by Dimal; 19 June 2020, 01:08 PM.

• wirecutter23
    commented on 's reply
    I was thinking of doing something very similar - please share how it tastes!

• Dimal
    replied
    Need some more Shakisso Estate...
    Roasted up a batch today blended with Brazil origins this time instead of the previous India El.Hills; just as a comparison.

Put a bit more heat into the batch at the start this time and allowed the profile to slowly taper off. Needed a bit of help near the end though as it wasn't slowing down fast enough. Took the batch just to the edge of 2nd-Crack without actually hitting it and then immediately dumped and cooled. As before, absolutely wonderful aromas coming from the cooler.

Copy of roast profile and post-roast photos attached as per usual.

Mal.

Batch Details:
    Ethiopia Shakisso Estate - 400g
    Brazil Pulped Natural - 350g
    Roasted Weight - 626g
    Weight Loss - 16.53%
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• simonsk8r
    replied
    Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
    Simon, how did you get ‘end of FC’ and weight loss on the screen?
    It was something I started doing a little while ago and found it is easier in 'workflow'. During roasting I just quickly scrawl down with pen and paper most the details, as I found it too rushed to try and type everything while it's all happening. I wanted to focus! And especially as sometimes temp numbers that appear on the graph can obscure the text you put in. ANYWAY, after I've finished the roast I save the jpeg, right-click on the pic file and just go edit :P. You can write whatever details you want on there, find it helpful to have all that on there. And I leave about 30mins total between each roast so that gives me enough time to cool the beans, weigh, bag, clean away chaff from everything, get next beans ready and write all those details in.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
    Has been awhile since I posted a roast as wasn't sure if I should. Anyway, I'm here, I hope you're all doing well in these times... and hoping you can all find solace in the great world that is coffee. I did a roast awhile ago, then bought some already roasted beans just to treat myself which I'm still getting through, now just finished a roast today. Did 2 batches of a Colombian and 1 Uganda. Really loved this Colombian and may order more just because, tried to get it the same roast as last time but it went only just a tad darker. I tried going to 50% at RFC instead of FC, as last time it stalled a bit around the end of FC, so that slight extra portion under higher heat may be why it turned out darker at this stage. The Uganda I tried a 400g batch, just to see how it would hold up. Turned out well but it was a slow crawl, even at full heat for alot of it! Was a 17 minute roast! The graph looks quite funny haha but am very keen to see how they all taste. Really need to take all my photos under the SAME light source :P
    Simon, how did you get ‘end of FC’ and weight loss on the screen?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X