Have problem of roasting Brazil Peaberry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have problem of roasting Brazil Peaberry

I bought some Brazil Peaberry from wicked Sunday. Roasted 2 patches. But they are not that good. Does anyone have any idea how to roast this bean?

My roasting profile is: ~10mins to FC and SC came 5mins after. Stopped @ first snip of SC. After FC the temperature increases 2-3 degrees per mins until SC. The colour ~CS10.

Re: Have problem of roasting Brazil Peaberry

You mean the taste is not good? I have only roasted one batch of this quite similar to what you did FC around 11 mins and SC about 16. I let it go into RSC, about 30 sec after first snaps of SC. My roast was also CS10, very even. I only left it for 5 days before drinking and I quite liked it. I tried it as a single origin but I thought it was better in a blend. Ill be roasting some more of this today so I can blend it with some Ethiopian Harrar, Indian Madikery and PNG Wahagi that I roasted yesterday. All the best!

Alistair

Comment

Dont know why the finsihing is very unpleasent even i left it for 7 days. I found the body is very full. I cant get much sweet from this bean, maybe i should roast it lighter. I dont get much chocolate as well. Dont know y

Comment

Id try pulling the roast just at the start of second crack Tony.

Comment

Id also suggest starting the roast very gently - weve found (a different) Brazil peaberry was very prone to tipping which we found allieviated by starting with a gentler heat. Agree with GM on stopping the roast at the first snaps of second crack, too.

Cheers
          Stuart.

Comment

First snaps of first crack?? or do u mean SC

Comment

Oops. Edited original post.

Ta.

Comment

Here is the roasting curve

Comment

Hmm. Looks good.

Looks like you turned up the heat at about 2 mins and again at around 5 mins, if Im reading the slight upward shifts correctly. Perhaps slowing the start down would still help? Try letting it hit 100C at about 5 mins and only turning the heat up after that point. Also, try ramping down the heat about 10C below FC temp (say, 185C) so that the roast goes very gently into first crack and remains gentle after that. Aim for 5mins between FC and SC - though this can be hard with peaberries.

How do the beans look, Tony? Are there burned/blackened/darker brown patches on the ends on the beans? Are there any darker/burned patches on the beans? Do they look evenly roasted through the bean?

Also, it could be that you just dont like this bean! But peaberries are harder to roast, in my opinion, so it could also be a roasting problem.
                  Cheers
                  Stuart.

Comment

It was a very even roast. Dark brown in colour. No tipping at all. I use the same roasting profile for another brazil, but this peaberry appears darker than the other one.

Comment

When I roasted this bean in my Gene I found that i did have to watch the temp was a bit slower ramping at first . the overal aperance was about the CS9+ ,10 and tryed it 2 days after roast and it tasted burnt .
                      5days later tasted a sweeter milder flavour but lacking the depth off chocklety flavours that i would expect .
                      Still need to tweek this roast a bit .
                      overall 1st imprecions are good though.

Comment

i roasted another patch today. I roasted it darker. It smells a bit better than the last patch. Ill leave it for 7days & c how it goes

Comment

OK~~I tried some this morning. It was quite good this time. The body is very full. Low in acid. But I can taste more sweet this time. Its in the front of my tongue. It has a bit of "spicy" after taste which last for quite a while. Still lack of chocolate note.
                          Hmmm~~Interesting findings!!!!

Comment

Slowly roasted to the beginning of SC. Cupped it yesterday as a SO espresso, surprisingly acidic and clean for a Brazilian... then again its a Peaberry so anything can happen. Quite sweet as well but I thought there wasnt enough body in it to hold it as an espresso blend base especially in milk, May work well work with a fully dried processed Brazilian in a 50:50 ratio.

Comment

agreed

I'd take the moderate route to begin, reduce heat and track back to 1st instance ogf second crack, MAX. From my very limited experience, peaberries, whether Tanzanian or Brazilian reportedly roast evenly, but they're small beans, so I go easy with heat and time to start. If I waste a couple hundred grams, experience gained.

Comment

Working...
                              X