Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you look for when buying a popcorn maker for roasting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you look for when buying a popcorn maker for roasting?

Im pretty new to the roasting revolution and was wondering if there are any tips for purchasing a popcorn maker for roasting.  Im currently roasting with a wok/lid on a BBQ, however roasting takes anywhere from 25-35 minutes. I believe the style with the vents on the side are best, but are there any other things I should be looking out for? eg: wattage, capacity etc.  PS: Im lovin this new hobby!!

Re: What do you look for when buying a popcorn maker for roasting?

A Breville Crazy Popper. Just modify a soup tin with some tin snips to make a "chimney" so the beans dont fly out as they roast, and youre set. Should cost ~$50 + soup. :P Also set it up outside, as the chaff does like to fly!

Comment

I got mine of ferralbay with free popcorn for under $20 posted seems to be a fair few come up.

Brand of mine is MaitrieD and is looks the same as a couple Andy uses and has had for a long while. Flavour of the finished beans is fairly good too  8-)

pic is not mine but is the same case by the look but is branded Volt

Comment

Ive been using a Tiffany popper which works well but I have no other popper experience to compare it to.

Also using the soup tii chimney as AB describes above ( a necessary addition as the beans will overflow without one and it allows for 100g batch sizes.

Comment

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated!

Comment

I found a popcorn machine that seems ideal, despite the price.

Check out the Cuisinart Popcorn machine. It has an agitator at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by 6F484C436042434648542D0 link=1245147485/5#5 date=1245755512
              Check out the Cuisinart Popcorn machine.
              I just did (googled it). the first link that came up had 2 ratings reviews and both said "Great Idea...Lousy Quality"
              I dont think this would top a standard popper by the sounds of it

Comment

The Cuisinart appliance looks interesting; however, I am concerned that the large plastic covering bowl which is not oven safe may not survive the heat and heat radiation/retention of the beans. There is a three year warranty on the beast so it may be worth a gamble. Provided that when you front customer service with a large pool of smouldering plastic, you can convince them that you were only roasting popcorn... special popcorn.. yes... (insert Jedi mind trick here).

Comment

I am concerned that the large plastic covering bowl which is not oven safe may not survive the heat and heat radiation/retention of the beans.
                  Brett Brett Brett, this is where the handy work is meant to kick in. Have you not seen all the examples on this site?

Disappointing about those reviews. Oh well.

Comment

The 1st popper i used was a crazy popper from Breville. I did a few small batches(small handfulls) before figuring out that it was not only a better product but a lot cleaner to add the chimney and use bigger batches(3/4 - 1 cup + a pinch)

When my Crazy popper finally blew a funny fuse(trust me, it wasnt funny!!!) i went second hand shop hunting. Picked up a Black and Decker and a Tiffany for $13 the pair. They look very alike but unfortunately they both have 200w less power than the Breville wich makes then lack in the fan department

I have since given up on the popper roasting for this reason. I should probably go find another Crazy Popper from a retail store. The main reason i gave up on the popper roasting is that i keep raising the funds for a Hottop roaster but end up spending it elsewhere?!?!?!

I swear though!!!! its the next thing on my list of "if the partner finds out im dead" things to buy. I have a couple of months to figure out how to hide it though as she is in south America!!!

Now...im still trying to figure out how to disguise my new Dalla Corte :-? :-? :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 536A747A40581F0 link=1245147485/9#9 date=1250679475

Now...im still trying to figure out how to disguise my new Dalla Corte  :-? :-? :-?
                      with jewelry

a big fat set of diamond earrings hanging from the Ghandle should do the trick...... ;D

Comment

"Look what I found just collecting dust in <insert obscure junk shop in a far away location that you legitimately had reason to travel to, but she wont> dear!"

8-)

Comment

ive got myself a tempo brand one from kmart, same type that andy used in his roasting demo at celebrate the bean this year

25 bucks and its ticking along nicely so far, if it acts up on me its a good excuse to get into a gene :P

Comment

Moorville Ive had my Black n Decker popper for a while now and is gong strong after 40 roasts. Its important that whatever popper u get u need t let it cool fully between roasts.

Have fun u can get some good roasts from popper- maybe lacking a littlein depth of roast but hey for $20 u cant complain.

next for my Hottop...

Comment

Dear Popper Pals,

I would suggest picking up a backup unit from SH shop Thrift/Op/CCs for back-to-back roasts, comfort/emergency use, pay around $5 when available; its called averaging down.
                              Thats a lot of comfort security per dollar.
                              How much security per $ with a HT?
                              Dont tell me Im cheap, I know it.

Kind Regards
                              Lindsay

Comment

Working...
                              X