Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature Probe for Corretto

Hi there,
    Im preparing to do my first roast using the Corretto method.  After looking at various ways to roast coffee without buying an expensive machine, this one seems to show the most promise.  Also, where I live, the winters can be fairly cold and maybe the Corretto can be used year around?
    I noticed some folks have digital temperature readouts on their setups,  but am wondering how it is done.  Where does the probe lie within the machine?  Is it located in the heating element area of the bread machine or actually into the basket?  Thanks for your help.  
    I think my time zone is about 17 hours behind this one, so I may not be responding in synch.

Jon

Re: Temperature Probe for Corretto

I use a digisense thermocouple I picked up on ebay for about $25. It was a little tricky drilling the holes through the bread machine and the loaf pan. Pick a spot where the probe wont be hit by the turning paddle. I use a little velcro on the outside part of the probe to keep it from getting kicked out through the hole. Also make sure to pull out the probe before you pull the beans.

Comment

I use the USB DMM available here at coffee snobs from the beanbay.
      If you grab the software associated withit then its a very useful tool for keeping track of your roast profiles.

Mal

Comment

There are a vast number of ways you can monitor temperature. Some considerations are the probe type (solid metal shaft vs thermocouple), accuracy (i.e. calibration), drift over time, and response time. Location on where the probe is mounted also is a concern for usable data, and should be considered when looking at probes to purchase.

Most people choose a digital multimeter (which is semi independent from the probe itself) to provide them with instantaneous readings as the response time from when a temperature change occurs to when it actually is shown on the meter is very quick. By comparison an oven thermometer is much slower.

First of all, I would recommend you reflect on what you want to get out of your data. Do you plan to use it to have a little more data on the roasting process? Do you plan to profile your roasts and make real-time adjustments, and then follow up each roasting session analyzing the data along with what happened during the roast. Following that up with tasting sessions is another length.

Depending on what you want, your needs may vary. Of course if you think you might want to upgrade, or in the future might want a certain functionality (such as real-time computer logging)...you may decide to just get the best to start with and not have to worry much about the lower alternatives.

I think bolbs suggestion is good if you think you might want to use the functionality now or at some point in the future. If not, a standard "candy" thermometer might serve you just fine for a while.

Comment

Yes the corretto can be used all year round.
          But in summer its best to roast in the cool of the night.

Originally posted by 0E2B2A1B032D253620440 link=1245296676/0#0 date=1245296676
          I think my time zone is about 17 hours behind this one, so I may not be responding in synch.
          I know WA is a little bit behind but not 17 hours.
          CS is based in VIC.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info. Looks like I will want a thermocouple to get a quick feedback on temp change. Maybe the one on ebay will suit my needs, but the USB DMM is very nice.
            I wonder if anyone uses an analog probe via the drilled hole into the bean bucket. Would it give fast enough response to control the roast? Thanks.

Jon

Comment

Regarding my time zone, I posted at 8:44pm PST (Pacific Standard Time) on June 17 which was 1:44pm CS time on June 18. I think thats about 17 hours difference.

Jon

Comment

TG,

Although Walla Walla sounds like an aboriginal name, if you google walla walla, WA, youll actually find its Washington, United States, not Western Australia.

Yeah, it got me too.

Comment

Now theres a trap for young players (and old ones too).

Comment

Sorry guys, not meant to be a gotcha. Walla Walla is an American Indian name. Walla means water and Walla Walla means many waters. We do have a lot of small creeks and rivers as it sits at the base of the Blue Mountains.
                    Walla Walla is a town of about 30,000 known for its sweet onions and now pushing hard to become a destination wine producing area, like an early version of Napa Valley in California.

Jon

Comment

Gee - you people didnt watch enough Bugs Bunny when you were younger!

Walla Walla, Washington made MANY appearances in the cartoons.

Comment

Originally posted by 527776475F71796A7C180 link=1245296676/5#5 date=1245347878
                        Thanks for all the great info.  Looks like I will want a thermocouple to get a quick feedback on temp change.  Maybe the one on ebay will suit my needs, but the USB DMM is very nice.
                        I wonder if anyone uses an analog probe via the drilled hole into the bean bucket.  Would it give fast enough response to control the roast?  Thanks.

Jon
                        Thermocouple is a flexible wire that has a junction of two dissimilar metals. A probe should be a solid metal rod that youd have to drill all the way through the breadmaker if you wanted it perma mounted.

All of these probes are analog output that are read with a digital device, but maybe by "analog probe" you mean one with just a dial like a candy thermometer? Ive heard that people use them with poppers, so at the worst you can try one out as they are pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by 656277616C7A5C323A3A3A030 link=1245296676/10#10 date=1245387249

That rings a bell but "Walla Walla WA" doesnt sound the same when you read it.

Originally posted by 496C6D5C446A627167030 link=1245296676/9#9 date=1245386622
                          Sorry guys, not meant to be a gotcha.Walla Walla is an American Indian name.Walla means water and Walla Walla means many waters.We do have a lot of small creeks and rivers as it sits at the base of the Blue Mountains.
                          Sorry Jon but the Blue Mountains are a range just to the west of Sydney.
                          Ours are named because the eucalyptus oil in the air gives it a blue tinge.

Some quick research shows that the first overland crossing from the east to the Pacific coast was in 1793.
                          The Columbia river was discovered from the west coast in 1791.

The first unsuccessful white crossing of our Blue Mountains was attempted in 1789 (1 year after the colony was established).
                          Looks like we may have named ours Blue about 3 years before you lot.  

Comment

Originally posted by 5864796268697E6B63680C0 link=1245296676/12#12 date=1245396638
                            fatboy wrote on Yesterday at 10:54pm:

That rings a bell but "Walla Walla WA" doesnt sound the same when you read it.
                            LOL My mum went to high school in Walla Walla Washington! Too funny!

Java "Walla Walla what?" phile
                            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Walla Walla so water water, sure it wasnt named after some bloke with a stutter of hard of hearing?? ;D

Im with you TG, i automatically assumed aus and not the world option even though the internet brings the world to my door.

Comment

Working...
                              X