CoffeeSnobs Bean Club - Aceh Gaja Mt#1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoffeeSnobs Bean Club - Aceh Gaja Mt#1

As mentioned previously, I am going to try and see if we can get a Bean Club started up. A bit like a book club. The idea is to select a bean from this months Bean Bay and anyone who has it to roast/cup/taste/blend/whatever with it and then we discuss that bean.

The bean is selected by a Poll (as attached) and the most popular is chosen. I dont want to make it too prescriptive at this stage and all are welcome to contribute even if you cant roast your own but have some already roasted coffee.

I recommend we steer away from the usual suspects (e.g. The Yirg or Monsooned Mal) as these have already a fair bit written about them.

So here goes. Well keep it going up until the next BeanBay

Re: CoffeeSnobs Bean Club

Went the Aceh

Seems interesting and seemed popular

Comment

yeah, Im going to say the Aceh as well. Its the one I was most interested in and got the most of last night.

Comment

Originally posted by 59504B5259545C310 link=1247619572/2#2 date=1247625954
        Im going to say the Aceh as well
        OK, thats 50% of the votes for Aceh (OK, only 3 votes, if you insist!) 5 votes for the Aceh now; Ill keep the poll going until Friday and make a decision from there.

If the Bean Club is a hit, next time Ill start the poll as soon as the offerings are announced.

Comment

I got a bag each of the Aceh & Sumatran, so picked Aceh because I think it will be the winner but happy to go with the Sumatran if it gets up there also.

Cheers
          Di

Comment

Giving this a bit of a bump. The Aceh is still looking good

Comment

Originally posted by 515B4E5959564244370 link=1247619572/5#5 date=1247650723
              Giving this a bit of a bump. The Aceh is still looking good

How can you tell?

We havent got it yet ;D

Comment

Im psychic. In fact I can read your mind now:

Youre thinking "I really must get a new joke writer," right?

:P ;D

Comment

Ouch!!

Comment

Originally posted by 6F677F75680C0 link=1247619572/8#8 date=1247653439
                    Ouch!!
                    I knew you were going to say that.

:P

Im guessing that once weve done a certain bean itll be removed from the vote in future beanclubs? I went the Monsoon, it seemed to go so fast that Im interested to see what others think of it (I snaffled the last 2.5kg of it! )

Comment

Aceh aceh aceh oi oi oi......A very good idea, I like the idea of tying it into the monthly bean bay.

Originally posted by 63696A61667C71646D66080 link=1247619572/9#9 date=1247699292
                      I went the Monsoon, it seemed to go so fast that Im interested to see what others think of it (I snaffled the last 2.5kg of it! Cheesy)
                      Most of us love this bean, there is plenty written about it so have a hunt around.
                      My personal preference is to aim for FC @ 12-13MIN, 5-6Min to SC and pull it at 10-20 sec after you hear SC.
                      It can be a difficult bean to roast and sometimes it seems to take off between FC & SC so keep an eye on the temp...its safer to ramp it slowly through RFC until you get to know it.
                      It must be rested for at least 10 days and peaks @ 12-15 and continues to drink well.
                      Its a crema monster.....youll freak the first time you pull a shot!

Comment

Well the poll is now closed and I declare the Archie (aka Aceh Gajah Mountain)  the winner.

So, ladies and gentlemen, start your engines. I imagine that a bean that few, if any, have tried before would stir some interest..

No prizes for the neatest correct entry; its just for information sharing purposes.

PS: for those who missed out on the Archie in the last Beanbay I have heard whispers that the Sumatran might be a better bean.

Comment

Originally posted by 747E6B7C7C736761120 link=1247619572/11#11 date=1247985935
                          I have heard whispers that the Sumatran might be a better bean
                          Please explain? :-?

Comment

In Beanbay there was an Aceh and there is a Sumatran bean.

Some felt disappointed that they didnt get a chance at the Aceh, but the Sumatran is still available.

Comment

Well many of you have received your BeanBay beans and, hopefully, some of you have already tried the Aceh bean and might like to report on it.

In the meantime, as this is a region most of us are unaware of coffee-wise, I found this to perhaps build your knowledge:

Gajah Mountain Coffee (some pics from SweetMarias

Item 1: Storm in coffee cup on Aceh names

Item 2: Personally I rate Acehnese Arabica in the top 5 of coffee I roast from Indonesian origins

Item 3: Overseas coffee buyers have blacklisted Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam coffee exporters

Item 4: Strengthening the Coffee Sector in Aceh

Comment

Working...
                              X