Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thrifty Easy Bean Cooler and Corretto Unloader.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrifty Easy Bean Cooler and Corretto Unloader.

Hi CSrs,

I am not aware of, nor have I made any attempt to search to see if similar equipment has been described, so my apologies if this is old hat.
    After a backbreaking weekend commissioning the new Corretto Mk2 etc. and over roasting a little more than I am comfortable with, I decided that the ending of the roast and the switch to cooling the beans could be easier and more effortlessly managed.
    Here is the fruit of my thought plus a little effort to throw together a prototype using available materials, just to confirm that the concept was a goer.
    A trip to Bunnings and/or Hot Bargains would enable a more professional management of the hose to pail connections and a more robust piece of equipment to be constructed without blowing the bank.
    For the prototype I drilled and cut the holes in the pails and lids with my pocket knife (a hole saw would have been better?)
    Materials used for the prototype:
    A length of food grade PVC tubing, for use as a bean pickup tube (a piece of metal tube could also contribute here)
    A recycled Milo tin, with top and bottom removed, to act as the bean collector and cooler
    A piece of second hand metal flywire mesh removed from a job to be completed before summer takes root
    A piece of wire or cable ties to hold the flywire to the Milo tin to make the sieve used as the hot bean collector and cooler
    5L. and 20L. plastic pails with lids
    Some hole cutting gear and the use of a vacuum cleaner
    The photos below I believe fully illustrate the device and save a lot of words, but if there is anything unclear please ask.
    The prototype will see baptism of fire probably next week end, testing to date has convinced me that it’s a goer.
    Even at very low vacuum settings it quickly and effortlessly lifts green beans from a bowl.
    I have for some time used the vacuum cleaner to cool the fresh roasted beans and know that is effective.
    Hope this contributes to our collective convenience.

Kind Regards
    Lindsay

Re: Thrifty Easy Bean Cooler and Corretto Unloader.

Sounds like a good idea and has the possible added advantage of de-stoning the roast.

Question: Would the heat from the corretto melt the plastic tubing or hot beans melt plastic off the inner surface of the tubing as they make their way to the cooler?

Comment

Very nice work Lindsay, I really like the idea of a bean unloader for hot and dangerous home roasting contraptions.

Originally posted by 6A607562626D797F0C0 link=1254874010/1#1 date=1254874730
      has the possible added advantage of de-stoning the roast
      All it will need to make it a destoner is to add a tap (or similar) to the bucket so that you can vent some air to "tune" the suction pressure.

That way you can set it to only just lift the beans the height of the tube, leaving anything more dense in the pan.

Comment

Lindsay,
        I love your idea, it could even be permenantly mounted in the bottom of your roaster with the right materials and a door similar to a hopper, and simply drop them out at the end, ive been playing around with some ideas for a KKTO sort of modified, with a proper bean cooling tray with tuning blades and stuff, ive been trying to work out how to dump from the KKTO into the cooler at the end of the roast.........this could be the answer! thanks lindsay!

Comment

I could possibly convert my existing setup to this by adding the lid back to the bucket.

I like.

I once dropped a 500g roast when transfering the beans by removing the pan from the corretto and carrying it to the cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by 437F6279737265707873170 link=1254874010/4#4 date=1254876890
            I once dropped a 500g roast when transfering the beans by removing the pan from the corretto and carrying it to the cooler.
            lol, you must of been so disappointed in yourself that you would of had to laugh.......that sux!

Comment

Originally posted by 1C203D262C2D3A2F272C480 link=1254874010/4#4 date=1254876890
              I could possibly convert my existing setup to this by adding the lid back to the bucket.

I like.

I knocked over a bag a greens and spent some time digging them from teh cracks in teh veranda..

So TG... As part of QC; did you just bin or did you do a risk assessment and collect what you could ?

Could you also provide the RCA and what actions you have implemented to resolve teh RC ;D

Comment

(back on topic gents)

The other advantage of sucking the beans from your roasting device is that the residual heat in the roaster remains so you can do a back-to-back roast easier and faster.

Comment

Originally posted by 745B514C350 link=1254874010/7#7 date=1254878322
                  (back on topic gents)

The other advantage of sucking the beans from your roasting device is that the residual heat in the roaster remains so you can do a back-to-back roast easier and faster.
                  OK..

Am thinking as to a mod to my Cooler and KKTO as it would make things easer and safer...

As to thermal mass and back to back batches... Not a Problem for teh KKTO ;D

Comment

Im thinking along the lines of pull or suck, and push or blow into cooler? i wonder.....anyone have any thoughts on whether a vac has teh power to blow the beans from a collection bin into a cooler?, so unlike the OPs mine would simply transfer from roaster to cooler..... 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 7A7E584141445B4C432D0 link=1254874010/9#9 date=1254879017
                      Im thinking along the lines of pull or suck, and push or blow into cooler? i wonder.....anyone have any thoughts on whether a vac has teh power to blow the beans from a collection bin into a cooler?, so unlike the OPs mine would simply transfer from roaster to cooler..... 8-)
                      ALWAYS SUCK.... As others have seen and tried... It helps with de stoning and once ya get teh flow right; it works well.

Comment

I think blowing will push the rocks in first...
                        Sucking will allow destoning too.

Comment

Hi Guys

Funny you should mention blowing WS, AM and Andy.
                          Had some very serious commercial interest out of CS Afghanistan.
                          Although not as convenient to use as the Aus Model the Afghan model has training applications.
                          Already 2 containers on order.
                          On this model the blowing side of the vacuum cleaner is used, although an optional extra is available for the vacuum side of the vacuum cleaner which utilizes the latest flame thrower technology to roast the beans in mid air and for other Heavy Duty applications.

Lindsay

Comment

I have a couple of kids that would love to chase their ol man around the snobbery with one of those.

;D

Comment

Well once there were pea-shooters. No reason why you cant have bean-shooters.

Comment

Working...
                              X