Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Bean Club October 09: Costa Rica Cafetalera Herbazu +Ethiopia Kuza

OK Its on again.
    If you are unfamiliar with the format of the Bean Club, check previous threads in the Home Roasting forum topic such as last months - you can still contribute to them.

This month, given the bigger variety of beans available (thanks Andy) and to hopefully increase participation the top two beans will become beans of the month. Proceed to the next post to cast your votes.

Re: CS Bean Club - October 09

OK, you can vote now. As above, the two beans receiving the most votes will become the subjects for this month.

Poll will remain open for 1 week (closes on Oct 19). I will keep results hidden until at least after the Bean Bay on Tuesday 13

Unfortunately there isnt enough room in the poll for all the beans so the Wahgi (already plenty written about it) and the Java Robusta (highly unlikely to rate) were left out. Whether the Robusta will rate lower than the Decaf is moot - I made an executive decision. Click the Logout button above to register any complaints   :P  ;D

Of course, the Nicaraguan Dipilto was last months Bean of the Month and you can still contribute to the thread  here

Comment

Herbazu. Actually got a little, happy with that!

Comment

I went with the Kuza, another interesting Ethiopian to play with methinks.

Comment

OK, poll is visible now. Herbie has raced out of the blocks but now that St. Andy has given the Kuza his blessing, it may be well in the running for a place if it doesnt get across the line first.

Comment

I went with Ethiopian Gambella I am sure others will but this bean can be tricky for beginners.

Comment

Originally posted by 404C5F59544F484C432D0 link=1255328971/5#5 date=1255430007
              I went with Ethiopian Gambella I am sure others will but this bean can be tricky for beginners.
              Welcome back MB.

I was almost going to leave out the Gambella from the poll to make room for the robusta as it is another bean about which plenty has been posted on CS.

Comment

I havent been far away and i was dropping in from time to time.

Got half my order today so I will be roasting some this week.

Comment

I will go with Costa Rica Cafetalera Herbazu Looking forward to trying this one

Comment

I went with Herbie.

It was a tough call as I pretty much knew Andys favourite from the descriptors, but....... I saw a really nicely tricked old style dak dak on the way home yesterday so I guess Herbie wins ;D. Oh yeah, I also get to try a COE bean.

I have 5 kg of each on the way so Steve, happy if they both get picked as I was a non informer last month.

Comment

Herbie is listed on the Costa Rican Specialty Coffee website with a cupping score of 86.96 if anyone is interested!!

http://www.scacr.com/en/golden_crop_results.php

Comment

Originally posted by 7E766E64791D0 link=1255328971/9#9 date=1255512013
                        happy if they both get picked as I was a non informer last month.
                        It certainly looks like Herbie and Kuza are in the running.

Informer? What, you mean snitch or grass? Well it wasnt me - and if it turns out it was me, then I was forced into it. ;D

Oh wait, I see - you mean contributor. Well, for penance, you can post for both beans

Comment

I went for the Kuza simply because I missed out on beanbay on the night and thus missed out on the Herbie which I otherwise would have chosen. So, a bag of Kuza on the way and Im hoping it makes the cut into the beans of the month.

Comment

Well its almost closing time for the poll. It looks almost certainly like the Herbazu and Kuza will form the double.

I didnt get any of the Herbazu - trying to be strong and remind myself that a stash <100kg doesnt sound that excessive but I did end up getting some of the Kuza. I love Ethiopians.

Anyway, if you havent voted - the poll will close this evening. I do hope that those who voted intend to contribute even if the bean you voted for didnt make it. After all, this isnt the CS Poll Voters Club ;D

Comment

CS Bean Club October 09: Costa Rica Cafetalera Herbazu + Ethiopia Kuza

Poll is now closed with (predictably) the Herbie being the #1 and Kuza being the runner up.

Could a mod please change the thread title to the same as this post. Much appreciated.

So, ladeez and gennelmen, start your roasters and let us know how it all went. Please dont feel you have to use cupping terminology to describe your roasts. Generally we would like some idea of what roasting method/ profile you used and how your roasts turned out appearance and taste-wise. Also, how the beans compare to other Costa Ricans or Ethipians you might have tried,

Id love to hear from Luvacap, if he does a roast of one or both of these beans in his new Quest M3.

Comment

Working...
                              X