Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy popper first roast too!

Hi all,

Decided enough reading was enough. Put 80gms of java under the heat of the crazy popper tonight after Andys beans arrived today.

First crack was at 3.30 and second cracks at around 5.50.  I was so excited - like a kid at x-mas. House now smells like a beanery! I reckon I could have gone longer as the beans are a nice colour, but not dark chocolate. Will go even further next time.  

I have decided to become a full snob and never buy brownies again!

Re: Crazy popper first roast too!

Congrats lionfish

Onward and upward!!

Comment

Awesome, i havent bought brown since my first popper roast, about 2 years ago! i frequent quality cafes to keep perspective, lets you know your on track as far as your roasting goes

ps did you hear first and second crack?

Comment

Great stuff!, sounds like you were excited as much as I was. Im going to try again tomorrow at some point!!!

Comment

Thank you for your kind words.

So many questions:

How do I store the beans during degassing? Can I just use a container? Or do I need a valve-thingo?

On my second roast I noticed some tiny black marks (like blisters) on a few beans where small 3mm disks of coffee have come off. I think this is from the second crack? Or was the popper too hot?

Comment

Originally posted by 686D6B6A626D776C040 link=1265972969/4#4 date=1266029370
            So many questions:

How do I store the beans during degassing? Can I just use a container? Or do I need a valve-thingo?
            One way valve coffee bags are the best

http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ViewCategory.aspx/OtherStuff

KK

Comment

the bits off the beans are called tipping if i remember rightly, caused by the fast ramp up thats poppers have, I find it happens if I let my roast go too far into 2nd crack, I find that to avoid it I stop the roast just on the start of 2nd, but I prefer lighter roasts though

someone correct me if im wrong...

it doesnt mean there is anything wrong with your roast though

Comment

Thanks phrostyboi.

Phew! Thought I was doing it wrong.

Ive been playing around with fans and and popping in the wind and have managed to get the timing up to around 10 minutes for second crack - and the result was my best roast yet!

Im loving watching the oils oooze to the surface of the bean each day. It is really interesting to watch the process!

I tasted my first cup yesterday - day 3 - and it was bloody awesome! If it gets better with more rest, I cant wait!

Comment

Originally posted by 5048524F535459424F49200 link=1265972969/6#6 date=1266199362
                  the bits off the beans are called tipping if i remember rightly, caused by the fast ramp up thats poppers have, I find it happens if I let my roast go too far into 2nd crack, I find that to avoid it I stop the roast just on the start of 2nd, but I prefer lighter roasts though

someone correct me if im wrong...

Correction (you asked).

The holes left by the bits that come off are called divots.
                  Tipping is blackened scorch marks usually on the "tips" of the beans caused by too high a heat.

Comment

Originally posted by 7F677D607C7B766D60660F0 link=1265972969/6#6 date=1266199362
                    Well.... It does actually, depending on the number of beans in a batch affected in this way.

(Genuine)Tipping in a popper though, is usually caused as a result of inadequate agitation of the beans at the start of the roast, while the beans are still green... If youre experiencing poor agitation at the start, this can be aided by tilting the Popper over slightly so as to allow more air-flow to occur. It will also extend the overall roast time a little as well and that is an added benefit....

Mal.

Comment

Congratulations TS!

Do pop your CS card next to the beans.

Then use photoshop (i used free gimp) to set "neutral gray" as the background on the CS card. That way the colors are accurate. Like this:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1269513871
                      (see the third post)

Comment

Working...
                      X