Roasting stinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasting stinks

So after nearly 18 months in my apartment, and with much interest and discussion with neighbours, I have received my first roasting complaint.
    To give a quick background, this woman lives on her own (middle aged) with 12 cats, is susceptible to late night infomercials (from what I can see in her apartment) and is one the most sadistic people I have ever met.

When I was roasting this evening, and mind you, this was two batches of Sidamo Guji that smelt so damn good I tried to bask in the fumes, she comes up and starts yelling at me and telling me that these horrible fumes are filling up her apartment (she is on the 3rd floor at the front, and I was roasting out the back) and that it is a disgrace that I am so disrespectful and how dare I involve myself in a commercial venture that has fumigated her whole apartment and is even seeping in through gaps in the window.
    Now as much as I have feelings of dislike for this woman, I do respect what she is saying and how it effects other people in the building.

So, how can I reduce the smell? I am currently roasting with a coretto with a fan blowing over the pan and HG. I highly doubt I am going to be able to reduce the smell and Im not all that interested in a Behmor or Gene, nor can I really afford a Hottop, I like the look of the Quest but Im not sure any of these options are going to reduce the smell.

Is my dream over?
    Ben

Re: Roasting stinks

1. Become a cat lover.

2. You should have her over for a coffee. Thatll shut her up, unless she hates coffee as much as life itself.

3. Is she single? Hook her up with an uncle or something.

Comment

Are pets allowed?

Comment

Yes I think the best option is to change to another roaster

KK

Comment

I guess a clever CSer out there needs to design a homemade afterburner

Tough one bj. Anywhere else you can roast? How about a large fan to blow the smoke in the opposite direction to her place?

Comment

Tell her its better than having a meth lab downstairs.

Comment

Do they sell super size cans of Lynx...

Err maybe not a great idea... All the other women will be knocking at ya door as well ;D

Comment

Just tell her to get stuffed. Or put some lamb chops on a BBQ next to the roaster.

Comment

Originally posted by 333C263D3C3B32393C2F342731646C6267550 link=1270817082/7#7 date=1270819142
                  tell her to get stuffed
                  Is that you Darryl Kerrigan?

Comment

Originally posted by 7B45424973434A73584449736E494D422C0 link=1270817082/1#1 date=1270817569
                    1. Become a cat lover.

2. You should have her over for a coffee.  Thatll shut her up, unless she hates coffee as much as life itself.

3. Is she single?  Hook her up with an uncle or something.
                    Originally posted by 46474D5E40455F2C0 link=1270817082/4#4 date=1270818325
                    homemade afterburner
                    Originally posted by 7B45424973434A73584449736E494D422C0 link=1270817082/5#5 date=1270818538
                    Tell her its better than having a meth lab downstairs.
                    Originally posted by 6D424B495E614D424D4B49414942582C0 link=1270817082/6#6 date=1270818572
                    Do they sell super size cans of Lynx...  
                    Originally posted by 4A455F4445424B4045564D5E481D151B1E2C0 link=1270817082/7#7 date=1270819142
                    Just tell her to get stuffed.
                    ;D ;D ;D Quoted for awesomeness.

Im using a pretty decent fan and I dont really like cats, so Im still stumped....

Comment

Buy a Behmor, very little smell!

Comment

Surely, 12 cats!! Doesnt that challenge something, apartment by-laws? Start complaining about the cats?

Comment

I would ask her on what basis she has for deciding that you are trying to run a commercial venture!!
                          Perhaps set up an other fan and a more potent disgusting smell and blow that in her direction while you are roasting.
                          use things such as rotting eggs, prawn heads etc. ;D

Comment

just ignore her to you get a notice to remedy / stop from the landlord / agent or bodycorp.....

then call the local council ranger about the cats over and over again.

other than that and the fan try to roast on a day with a breeze to help.

You can also bring that Sidamo to my house and roast as much as you like if i can sample it

Comment

There are lots of *awesome* options here.

Let me add to them a bit if I may:

Apologise profusely for bothering her--but not for roasting. (The roasting is clearly legal, and as has been mentioned above, is no worse than a BBQ.)

Ask her to help find a solution to bothering her--a time, a day, a breeze direction, a better venue, cautions to close her windows, etc. (This gets her involved in the solution and has as a given that you are going to continue roasting. "How can I avoid my roasting bothering you? What can you suggest?")

If you have a kitchen exhaust fan you can try roasting indoors. This is what I do with the Gene--but let me tell you there is plenty of smell wafting from the exhaust vent outside!

Good luck--difficult neighbours can be a real pain.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X