Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resting period post roasting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Resting period post roasting

    Hi All

    Is there a general consensus as to how long you should let your beans rest post roast? Ive read some comments that the beans need 3 days, 2 weeks etc...how do you know? Is it something that is trial and error or is there a general rule for bean type?

    Comments appreciated,

    Cheers
    Michelle

  • #2
    Re: Resting period post roasting

    Hi Michelle, the general thought seems to be to try at various stages post roast and let your palate decide. Different beans and roast levels seem to work better at different stages. DeCafe on the other hand goes stale quickly, you can almost cool and grind with acceptable results.

    Steve.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Resting period post roasting

      Originally posted by 664445442B0 link=1271814464/1#1 date=1271814791
      DeCafe on the other hand goes stale quickly
      An example of bad tradesman blaming their tools. Not directed at you personally, but I hear this over and over and its just not true. When its roasted properly it does not go stale quickly.

      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1192703585/500


      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Resting period post roasting

        Originally posted by 55747F7F7862110 link=1271814464/2#2 date=1271816795
        I hear this over and over and its just not true.When its roasted properly it does not go stale quickly.
        Hi Dennis, no offense taken what-so-ever, certainly dont want or plan to hijack Michelles tread but how do you suggest we roast Decafe Wow? I get great results for about the first week and then after that..............well flat CC (well known bubbly beverage}is what i am reminded of :-[

        Steve

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Resting period post roasting

          Originally posted by 67464D4D4A50230 link=1271814464/2#2 date=1271816795
          and its just not true
          Ive had the same experience, good for a week, then its almost binable.....but drinkable almost straight from the roaster

          So how do you suggest we roast Decaf Dennis?

          Cheers mate
          warren

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Resting period post roasting


            Originally posted by 7F7B5D4444415E4946280 link=1271814464/4#4 date=1271818695
            So how do you suggest we roast Decaf Dennis?
            a) Like I do,
            b) In a commercial roaster,
            c) http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1263004586/9#9

            I generally unload mine at around 217 degrees.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Resting period post roasting

              Originally posted by 55747F7F7862110 link=1271814464/5#5 date=1271819088
              a) Like I do,
              the reason i asked the question....
              Originally posted by 55747F7F7862110 link=1271814464/5#5 date=1271819088
              b) In a commercial roaster,
              dont have one of those, sorry
              Originally posted by 55747F7F7862110 link=1271814464/5#5 date=1271819088
              c) http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1263004586/9#9
              thanks for the link

              I like most people take it into SC, yeah its good straight from the roaster but its glory is lucky to last the week....very lucky, thanks dennis, even if you answer was a little snobby :

              BOT


              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Resting period post roasting

                Thanks for your comments so far ...luckily for me, I dont drink Decaf...



                Cheers
                Michelle

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Resting period post roasting

                  Originally posted by 1A1E382121243B2C234D0 link=1271814464/6#6 date=1271819600
                  even if you answer was a little snobby
                  I just thought I was being funny. :-/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Resting period post roasting

                    I thought you were!

                    Ill take you up on your advice in case I need to roast for my decaf friends...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Resting period post roasting

                      Originally posted by 1C3D3636312B580 link=1271814464/8#8 date=1271820886
                      I just thought I was being funny
                      ;D ;D ;D

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Resting period post roasting

                        Its all about experimentation, try it 2 hours post roast, then every 2 or 3 days until you find the sweet spot, bit fiddly but all part of the journey to snobbery

                        Ive had a few beans that were palatable at 2 hours post roast (Peru and Nicaraguan) but they certainly benefit from resting for a few days

                        I find about 5 days post roast seems to suit the majority of bean types that I roast (monsooned mal being the exception)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Resting period post roasting

                          Originally posted by 5D7C7777706A190 link=1271814464/2#2 date=1271816795
                          Originally posted by 664445442B0 link=1271814464/1#1 date=1271814791
                          DeCafe on the other hand goes stale quickly
                          An example of bad tradesman blaming their tools.
                          Originally posted by 5D7C7777706A190 link=1271814464/5#5 date=1271819088
                          Originally posted by 7F7B5D4444415E4946280 link=1271814464/4#4 date=1271818695
                          So how do you suggest we roast Decaf Dennis?
                          b) In a commercial roaster
                          Mmmmm.....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Resting period post roasting

                            Originally posted by 3734262622342C550 link=1271814464/12#12 date=1271823984
                            Originally posted by 5D7C7777706A190 link=1271814464/2#2 date=1271816795
                            Originally posted by 664445442B0 link=1271814464/1#1 date=1271814791
                            DeCafe on the other hand goes stale quickly
                            An example of bad tradesman blaming their tools.
                            Originally posted by 5D7C7777706A190 link=1271814464/5#5 date=1271819088
                            Originally posted by 7F7B5D4444415E4946280 link=1271814464/4#4 date=1271818695
                            So how do you suggest we roast Decaf Dennis?
                            b) In a commercial roaster
                            Mmmmm.....
                            Mmmmm.....indeed!

                            Back on topic...

                            Hi Michelle, if you were to think of it like a bell curve then there will be a point on that curve where you think that the coffee is starting to taste great. Keep in mind that the coffee will continue to develop either up or down that bell curve. There will be a segment that suits your taste, and with each different coffee you try, that segment may vary. Keep lots of personal notes, and dont be too influenced by popular opinion.

                            Cheers!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Resting period post roasting

                              Originally posted by 68494242455F2C0 link=1271814464/13#13 date=1271829808
                              Back on topic...

                              Hi Michelle, if you were to think of it like a bell curve then there will be a point on that curve where you think that the coffee is starting to taste great.Keep in mind that the coffee will continue to develop either up or down that bell curve.There will be a segment that suits your taste, and with each different coffee you try, that segment may vary.Keep lots of personal notes, and dont be too influenced by popular opinion.

                              Cheers
                              Den, very eloquently put, great explanation.

                              Steve

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X