X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the prize?

Comment

I have found that most beans have a sweet rested spot so to speak and as i don't roast too many varieties at this stage the beans I do roast are generally ready to grind and drink after 3/5 days. Though most are nicer around day 5. IMHO.

Comment

One of life's great pleasures tasting your roasts as they develop over a period of time, subtle little changes and nuances--priceless!!!

Comment

I am doing stove top roasting in a smallish (200 mm) frying pan. I use an induction cooker that offers temperature adjustment. Starting out on what the cooker shows as 120°C, vigorously stirring with a bamboo "spade', 1C comes up after 3 min or so and by 13 min a number of the beans are black and shiny, most are apparently out of 1C and a lot of smoke is emitted, so I go outside and pour the beans between two receptacles in the breeze. By about 15 min all is done and the beans are just sort of warm to the touch - slightly above 40°, I think.

The result does not taste bad at all (roasting was done on the 18th), but the crema is quite unimpressive. I had a blend of Brazilian and Rwanda from a roaster in another town in the grinder but with my roast I had to tighten the grind a bit. Brazilian beans. Is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by LouisF View Post
            I am doing stove top roasting in a smallish (200 mm) frying pan. I use an induction cooker that offers temperature adjustment. Starting out on what the cooker shows as 120°C,
            If it is a cheapish bench-top single induction plate you might be better off with a gas flame. Those induction plates settings below 1000w still put 1000w into the pan but cycle the heat on and off at different rates depending on the setting you choose, In my experience this leads to more scorching then you would expect. The coil is small so only a small spot in the middle of the pan gets hot and I have tried stainless and cast iron pans. If you have a camp stove or a BBQ with a hotplate on the side that would be ideal In my opinion(also outside so no smoke problems). But maybe you have a fancy induction cook-top that is actually good.

You sound like your not recording temperature have you tried weighing the beans before and after to measure % of weight to lost give you a way to measure how consistent you roasts are from each other?

Comment

Guide to Roasting...

I've been trying to learn more about roasting, have found the following videos informative:

there are a few more in this series.
              https://youtu.be/VR-25jkrx-o

quite good need to get to the 2nd half to talk about roasting - brother of the guy who makes the roasters of the same name
              https://youtu.be/1_puhTRiOgk

There is a series of these, some more useful than others, in any case these guys have given a lot of their time to put these out there for anyone to view. Thumbsup
              https://youtu.be/mnWNIIpJVQQ

Greenman sent me this one to watch, is good https://youtu.be/HoIoLxKIJ_8

Figured worth posting them in case anyone finds helpful.
              Last edited by Janus; 1st August 2017, 12:49 AM.

Comment

hello all coffee roaster expert, did you ever hear why did the roast bean taste smokey?

Comment

Originally posted by cygnus View Post
                  hello all coffee roaster expert, did you ever hear why did the roast bean taste smokey?
                  ?? Is the question a genuine one (with poor grammar) or a one-liner to which we should be eagerly anticipating for the answer?

Comment

Seems like the answer is blowing in the wind

Comment

I think it's gone up in smoke.

Java "Hey man, do you smell something burning?" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cygnus View Post
                        To get to the other side?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                          To get to the other side?
                          Are you sure it wasn't to get to the other sky?

Java "Blowing hot air" phile

Comment

Yeah I feel a punch line to a joke coming on...

Please tell us!!!

Comment

Some time has lapsed since my journey into home roasting and want to share my success.

I found 50% Brazil pulped naturals, 25% each Sulawesi blue triple sort and Ethiopian gambella sundried plus 10% India robusta magundi sundried has satisfied our coffee addiction really well. Unfortunately I lost my sense of smell a few years ago so I can’t appreciate the aroma any more.

I started out roasting each separately to find the optimal profile on my behmor and found the Sulawesi and gambella profiles very similar so now I pre-blend these two before roasting.

brazil: 250g @400, P3, B
                              125g ea Sulawesi + Ethiopian (250g) @400, P4, B
                              Robusta 150g @200, P1

Using the higher weight setting gives me the darker roast I like without having to extend the roast times.
                              What other combination could I try?

Comment

Lots of blends listed/discussed here: https://coffeesnobs.com.au/blending-room/

Java "Decisions, decisions, decisions..." phile

Comment

Working...
                                X