Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasting Course

Hey
    Im new and was wondering if anyone can recommend a really good course to teach me the basics and progress to advanced methods of roasting cofffee to perfection.

Anyone?

Re: Roasting Course

Coffee Roasters Australia do a 2.5 hour basic course. There are a few others around too but I have yet to find a regularly run intensive course like some in the USA where a few run for 4-5 days for around $1000. There was something of that nature offered by the William Angliss Insitute in March but I have yet to see another one.

Comment

Hi all

Yes the US folks, such as the Roasters Guild, run roast retreats where they get together for a a few days of talks, lectures and practical sessions.

There are probably a dozen Melbourne and Sydney CoffeeSnobs that have purchased 2 to 5 kg commercial roasters just for home roasting. Our aims though are a little different from commercial roasters roasting for cafes and we could probably all greatly benefit from a get together with some experienced roasters for some real hands on experience on machines similar to what we have at home. Flights between Sydney and Melbourne are not too pricy. A two or three day course would be really good. Maybe we can work out something for 2011?

Maybe someone who has a 2 or 5 kg roaster at home, in a big garage, that has a motel nearby for accommodation?  Somewhere where the neighbors wont mind lots and lots of roasting.

PS.  As we are not commercial roasters most of us would not be able to afford commercial prices. I was thinking along the lines of an experienced home roaster who uses 2kg and up machines that could do this for his/her fellow CSers. I realise that a commercial roaster cant provide two days of training for nix. And by nix I mean like $75 each to cover some green beans, lunches, coffee, tea, bikkies.

(I did Dennis short roast course when he first offered it, he put a lot of effort an work into it and it was very good but I think several people in a group would need two days.)

Mike

Comment

Sounds great and I would be keen to join such an event...or you can all join me in Phuket

Comment

I know a local who has done roast training at Talk Coffee. If you are looking for a more intensive course then Peter Wolff in Queensland runs a multi day one too.

Comment

Originally posted by 5057535C545E4B5B5C55320 link=1291715300/4#4 date=1291758993
            I know a local who has done roast training at Talk Coffee. If you are looking for a more intensive course then Peter Wolff in Queensland runs a multi day one too.
            Yes- we run a 1/2 day session for purchasers of roasters, but thats as much as we can currently offer.

For those wanting a longer course, Petes course sounds pretty schmick.

Comment

Yeah, I looked at Peters course and it seems to be the best on offer in Australia. Ive done the Barista master class at William Angliss but couldnt see any such course to get into roasting.
              I found a really good one in the US called Boot Coffee consulting and training that seem to do really good 3-4 day courses but yes it would cost some seriouse coin to get over, not to mention the $1300 fee for doing the course. :-/
              I live in Albury so where ever I go its going to take some getting to but Im happy to travel as i just want someone to teach me the right way from word go.

Comment

I sent Peter an email yesterday asking for price and schedule but no response yet...I will give them a call tomorrow. In March William Angliss did a 5 day course for $2000 run by Tracey Allen from USA. Nothing on their site indicates another one in 2011.

Comment

Decent roasting course? Im up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 44414E4E5948200 link=1291715300/7#7 date=1291904816
                    I sent Peter an email yesterday asking for price and schedule but
                    Please post outcome as I am sure others will be interested

Comment

I spoke to Peter and he said he does courses every few months. One is on now and the next not till Feb 2011 and is already booked out! The following one maybe in April. The course goes for three days and costs $1300. He also does a 5 day course.

Comment

How do I contact Peter to find out more info about what he offers? It sounds interesting, where do the courses run? By the response on this topic so far I think he may be in demand.

Comment

He is in the Brisbane area. Do a search for the website for Wolff Coffee Roasters, details are there.

Comment

If any of you are on facebook there is plenty of pics of his courses in action as well.

Comment

Coffee Academy will be running Roaster-Retailer Workshops in May 2011 with Tracy Allen from Brewed Behavior.
                              Workshops include Q-Cupping preparatory Q-Cupping Coffee Roasting and Roaster-Retailer Business Management

Courses in Melbourne and Sydney. For more details contact coffeeacademyenquiries@angliss.edu.au 03 9606 2401

Comment

Working...
                              X