Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville Crazy Popper Roast

Hey all,

Andy convinced my yesterday to give roasting a go so I did!! I had a Breville Crazy Popper at home and I thought Id give it a crack without any modifications. Roasted the Ethiopian Limmu, Indian Mysore, Brazil Pulped Natural and the Peru Ceja.

Results are in the photos below - pretty happy with it although I put way too much Brazil in the popper and subsequently lost a fair bit to the floor! Photos are in the order of: Brazil, Limmu, Mysore and then the Peru. Think the Limmu might be a bit dark!?

I feel the start of an addiction....

Looking forward to tasting them in a couple of days!!

Re: Breville Crazy Popper Roast

They look great, I wish I had of given roasting a go in my popper before my OH took it apart for mods, its been sitting there for 2 weeks now LOL

CNC rigs come first at present

Comment

Good looking beans Tango well done. Your hooked now ;D ;D no turning back after you taste those little beauties :P

Cheers Gra..

Comment

Gday Tango....

All of those batches look excellent to me too. Well done! 8-)

Dont forget to come back and let us know how they turned out, in the cup....

Mal.

Comment

So Ive tried the beans today after blending a few together - using my usual technique the resultant flat white was quite bitter?

Im wondering whether I took the beans too far? Is it necessary to always reach second crack??

Comment

Originally posted by 36030C050D620 link=1291776279/4#4 date=1291975213
            using my usual technique the resultant flat white was quite bitter?
            What technique would that be mate....

Originally posted by 36030C050D620 link=1291776279/4#4 date=1291975213
            Im wondering whether I took the beans too far?  Is it necessary to always reach second crack??
            Maybe, maybe not...

It always comes down to taste. If you prefer more body in the brew and a predominance of dark chocolate overtones (roast flavours), then reaching 2nd-Crack and maybe all the way to the start of Rolling 2nd-Crack is the way to go.

On the other hand, if you prefer to taste more of the intrinsic bean flavours - fruitiness, floral notes and some of the brighter spices, then pulling before the onset of 2nd-Crack would be better.

The bitterness you refer to may have more to do with your brewing method and the technique you use rather than anything to do with the beans themselves. Also, given that its only a couple of days post roast, theres probably some degassing still going on and this add some sharp-ish, off notes but more acidic than bitter.

Just keep trying your beans over the ensuing days and Im sure youll find that they will mellow as the days pass and also develop more flavour too. Keep at it mate, its all worth it.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Hey Mal,

I think perhaps I did take the roast a bit too far, Im finding that besides the Limmu, I seem to be getting a consistent bitter aftertaste with not much differentiation between the four coffees. I did another batch and roasted it a bit lighter and I found it more suited to my palate (even on day 2 post roast).

Ive got some Ethiopian Ghimbi on the way - any advice?!

Thanks so much - Ive learnt a lot from reading your posts!!

Comment

Originally posted by 65505F565E310 link=1291776279/6#6 date=1292246171
                Ive got some Ethiopian Ghimbi on the way - any advice?!
                Me too - One of my top five of all time.... 8-)

How you roast them comes down to which brewing method you prefer to use.

With my Corretto setup and aiming for Espresso use, I used two different ramps heading into 1st-Crack - The first ramp from ambient temperature to 125C was quite slow at about 10C/Minute then pushed up to about 18C/Minute until roughly 190-195C at which time it was wound back before reaching Rolling 1st-Crack to only about 4-5C/Minute until the first few snaps of 2nd-Crack are heard, then immediately dump and cool down quickly.

I dont quite know how Im going to translate this profile into something that works with the Behmor but it will be fun finding out....

With your Popper, it would probably be best to adjust your batch sizes so that you dont hit 1st-Crack too quickly and thereafter run straight into 2nd-Crack. Aim for at least for 3-4 minutes (if possible) between the end of Rolling 1st-Crack and the first few snaps of 2nd. The main thing though, is to make sure the temperature gradient never goes backwards and so long as you can consistently get to 2nd-Crack, then this unwanted scenario should never occur.

Anyway mate, see how you go and we can compare notes afterwards 8-)..... All the best,

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 1B36323E335F0 link=1291776279/7#7 date=1292248603
                  With my Corretto setup and aiming for Espresso use, I used two different ramps heading into 1st-Crack - The first ramp from ambient temperature to 125C was quite slow at about 10C/Minute then pushed up to about 18C/Minute until roughly 190-195C at which time it was wound back before reaching Rolling 1st-Crack to only about 4-5C/Minute until the first few snaps of 2nd-Crack are heard, then immediately dump and cool down quickly.
                  some of this bean should be arriving this week so will give this a go. Thanks Mal

Comment

Hey Mal,

Ive been getting 1st crack consistently around the 2:50 to 3:00 mark with rolling first crack ending probably around the 4:00 mark and Im pulling them at around 5:30 to 6:00. This is the case for the Peru, Brazil and the Mysore but for the Limmu, Im finding first crack is a lot quicker and that Im pulling them at around 4:00 due to the amount of smoke and the aroma. Is the Limmu normally quite an uneven roast?!

Been getting some good feedback, however, the Brazil is proving to be my least favourite. I thought I might have roasted it too dark the first time so I roasted it a bit lighter but I still find the taste rather bland and almost a bit like what youd expect from supermarket beans?! I know it must be my roasting but its quite possible that its just not the bean for me!?

Loving the Peru and Mysore!!!

Ordered some Ghimbi that Im going to get picked up soon, as well as some Costa Rican!!

Comment

This may sound like a silly question, but what exactly is second crack? My popper is much too hot at present and needs to be modded, but I think I may have got a two crack roast.

I got an initial pop, pop from the odd bean then 20 seconds later consistent cracking from the pot for about 20-25 seconds, then silence for 30-45 seconds and then more popping just as I pulled it when the first hit of smoke was detected by my nose, and the faintest of smoke clouds came off the beans as I was cooling them in front of the fan for 5 seconds or so (along with some residual pops). Did I get to second crack, or just a dodgy roast?

Comment

1st-Crack sounds like Popcorn Popping and 2nd-Crack sounds like Rice Bubbles just after you pour the milk on to them. Once youve heard them both, theres no mistaking one for the other.

Best way to find out for yourself is to sacrifice a batch or two while taking note of the various milestones and their warning flags.... Heres a link to a page that describes whats going on in good detail - http://www.coffeeresearch.org/espresso/roasting.htm

Mal.

Comment

My first experimenting this year was with a Crazy Popper, and I am amazed at how good it roasts. 80g of beans gives !st crack at usually 3.00 minutes, then I turn it off no longer than 6.00 mins, tipping them straight into 2 metal colanders back and forth until cold. (This was decaf). I couldnt wait any longer than 24 hours to try the last one, and it was perfect!! I have now purchased a Behmor 2 weeks ago but havent been brave enough to use it yet, Im still reading tips from people here to give myself a place to start. I hope it is as good as a $49.00 popcorn machine!!! :-/

Comment

I reckon youll get some impressive differences in flavour development with your Behmor vs a 6min roast in a popper...
                            (I know I get differences with my Corretto vs a popper.)

Comment

I hope so, Im still trying to get my head around the instruction book!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X