Coffee roaster android app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee roaster android app

This may have been covered already, so I apologise if it has.

I thought I might share a useful home roasting android app named "Coffee Roaster". Its recent updates have made it a very handy tool.

It gives you the ability to record all your green bean stocks, record the temperature at as many points through the roast as you like, take pictures of the roast, take notes, and prompts you for flavour notes etc.

It has an export in xml format, however I have not tried to use this function.

My apologies if this has already been posted, I just thought it might be useful/interesting for others.

John.

Re: Coffee roaster android app

Great app, thanks John.

Just finished my first roasting session using a CS starter pack and popcorn popper, and this app was excellent. Will be very helpful for logging my times, etc, as I try to improve my roasts.

Comment

great find cheers

Comment

If anyone has any other ideas for coffee related android apps - Id be more than willing to knock them up.

Im doing a computer vision course at uni at the moment. Its actually pretty cool stuff and at the moment Im trying to work out an algorithm to analyze the flow rate and mottling in a naked portafilter extraction using the camera on an android phone, still a while off though

Comment

Originally posted by 407463756E446A696962060 link=1295905653/3#3 date=1304505734
          If anyone has any other ideas for coffee related android apps - Id be more than willing to knock them up.

Im doing a computer vision course at uni at the moment. Its actually pretty cool stuff and at the moment Im trying to work out an algorithm to analyze the flow rate and mottling in a naked portafilter extraction using the camera on an android phone, still a while off though
          I have thousands of ideas for Android Apps, one or two of them may even be usefull :.

How about one that you use your phone camera to snap a picture of your roasted beans with the CS card in shot, the app detects the CS card and averages the colour (summing RGB values for each pixel in each colour comparison square on the card) and compares these to a sample area of the roast (also averaged). the app then highlights the card (in green on sample picture) the sampled area (in red on sample picture) and displays the roast level.

Just a thought.

Comment

What a rip-snortingly brilliant idea.

I tried using a cheap USB microscope for similar once but didnt get far (too inconsistent) - putting the card in the picture may be the trick and an android app would be much more convenient.

Comment

definitely feasible! Ill see what I can do

Comment

Originally posted by 1E393D32031E393D2E5C0 link=1295905653/4#4 date=1304556819
                How about one that you use your phone camera to snap a picture of your roasted beans with the CS card in shot, the app detects the CS card and averages the colour (summing RGB values for each pixel in each colour comparison square on the card) and compares these to a sample area of the roast (also averaged). the app then highlights the card (in green on sample picture) the sampled area (in red on sample picture) and displays the roast level.
                I like.

Comment

I use the existing coffee roaster android app. Mostly it is good, but could do with enhancements.
                  One thing that would be nice to add is an ability to photograph the temperature displayed on dmm/pid/roaster and use ocr to import it as a data point during the roast.
                  Some way to get a decent estimate of ambient temp (from the bureau of meteorology website perhaps) would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 666E60686A70706C6068030 link=1295905653/8#8 date=1304571780
                    Some way to get a decent estimate of ambient temp (from the bureau of meteorology website perhaps) would be nice.
                    Try "Au Weather Free" from android market, it uses BOM data and you can select a weather station, or use the closest to you automatically. Its a good App for the price .

Comment

Now this would increase the possibilities a bit...

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/05/why-google-choosing-arduino-matters-and-the-end-of-made-for-ipod-tm.html

Comment

Originally posted by 44545645524E370 link=1295905653/10#10 date=1305270251

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/05/why-google-choosing-arduino-matters-and-the-end-of-made-for-ipod-tm.html
                        Very interesting.

Not just the arduino article, Id never seen make magazine before. Cool stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 78686A796E720B0 link=1295905653/10#10 date=1305270251

Ardiuno based thermocouple which interacts with the coffee roasting app? (or which doubles as a PID?)

Comment

Android coffee roaster app- anyone using it?

Just curious to see if anyone else is using the Coffee Roaster app available from the Android market? I have been on and off for the past 6 months or so and have found it to be a fairly useful tool and easy to use. Your thoughts?

Comment

[QUOTE=644347487964434754260 link=1295905653/4#4 date=1304556819]
                              Originally posted by 407463756E446A696962060 link=1295905653/3#3 date=1304505734

... How about one that you use your phone camera to snap a picture of your roasted beans with the CS card in shot, the app detects the CS card and averages the colour (summing RGB values for each pixel in each colour comparison square on the card) and compares these to a sample area of the roast (also averaged). the app then highlights the card (in green on sample picture) the sampled area (in red on sample picture) and displays the roast level.

Just a thought.
                              Any development on this? This is exactly what I need to figure out when to stop my roasts

Comment

Working...
                              X