Uneven Roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven Roast?

I have been using a popper and having a batch size of 100g.

It seems in every roast there are 1-3 beans that are pale.

Do people have suggestions why?

Is there a way to get the roast more consistent?

Re: Uneven Roast?

Originally posted by 78737243727D756E721C0 link=1297531108/0#0 date=1297531108
    I have been using a popper and having a batch size of 100g.

Do people have suggestions why?

Is there a way to get the roast more consistent?
    Firstly
    What beans are you you roasting

Sometimes the beans are picked and mixed a little green off the trees and they dont roast the same way as ripe picked beans

KK

Comment

I have noticed this with all the batches I have done.

I have roasted beans from Honduras, Costa Rica, and Limu.

I have been using modestly priced beans ($10-$12 per Kg) that may have not been processed as carefully as more expensive beans

Comment

Originally posted by 5358596859565E4559370 link=1297531108/2#2 date=1297549371
        I have noticed this with all the batches I have done.

I have roasted beans from Honduras, Costa Rica, and Limu.

I have been using modestly priced beans ($10-$12 per Kg) that may have not been processed as carefully as more expensive beans

Sometimes bad grading can have a similar outcome

So give the easy way a go first
        Just pick out the odd few bad beans. The ones that look deformed prior to roasting
        and give that a go

KK

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts.

Pragmatically one pale bean in the coffee to make up a cup is not keeping me up at night.

The coffee still tastes considerably better that what I have had locally (fresh is best).

It was just a curiosity question and an opportunity to potentially evaluate my roasting technique.

Comment

Sometimes grading, sometimes a few random defects and sometimes it can just be the variety.

I did my first Ethiopian Ghimbi last week and found there were quite a few paler bean in the result. Weve been drinking it for the last few days and it is just lovely.

So, I guess it all comes down to taste. You could always do a test with a cup made including the pale bean(s) and without and see if you can discern a difference.

Unless the pale beans are approaching 20% or more of the roast, or you really start to notice grassy tones in the coffee, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Brett.

Comment

Under-ripes are usually the cause. The best coffees in terms of picking have less under-ripes as the pickers are more selective and only pick perfectly ripe cherry.

The good thing about roasting in small batches is it doesnt take long to pick out any under ripes before/after roasting.

Comment

Originally posted by 656E6F5E6F6068736F010 link=1297531108/0#0 date=1297531108
                You are referring to what are typically called "quakers"/

Originally posted by 4A6E676764645E4A6E726C6E010 link=1297531108/3#3 date=1297553710
                The ones that look deformed prior to roasting
                Not necessarily from deformed beans - an odd shaped bean can be caused from damage in the processing or blending from different farms and varietals.

Quakers, as noted above are the unripened cherries sometimes more apparent when picked on the shoulders of the season and can be found in your greens by having a slightly difference shade - almost yellow/white look, or few shades of green lighter than the majority. Quakers can also be slightly heavier (albeit micrograms when you are talking individual bean and perhaps impossible to distinguish this way) in commercial operations they have a tendency to want to sink to the bottom of de-stoners that are setup correctly as they retain heavier mass through the roasting process.

Comment

Not stirring beans enough at start of roast in a popper will also cause uneven colour.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncN5nFXotC4&feature=player_profilepage[/media]

Comment

Working...
                  X