Clear All

• First roast...Please help..

I have some great beans (I think) ..500 grams of
    Brazil pulp Natural.
    Ethiopian Guna Limmu.
    Indian Mysore plantation
    peru ceja de selva
    My newbie pack 

first Question! these are all in snap lock bags should they be transfered to something that breathes a bit better?

I also have 2.5 kilos of

Sulawesi Toarco Jaya Triple Picked
    and PNG Kone Ka Estate AA grade

I was thinking I would start of just with a Single Origin (png Kona ke) stop just after second crack has begun..
    Think I will start with 1/2 lb .
    I generaally like the darker expresso style .

Any tips with blending these.  I am also thinking I may need a base!! Any tips on baking times or blends with these would be unreal...Thanking you..
    Oh I have a new/second hand behmoor roaster.

Re: First roast...Please help..

Originally posted by 5975667F4B47797D607C140 link=1298519880/0#0 date=1298519880
    Any tips with blending these.
    I recommend you forget about blending for now and get to learn the taste of each one on its own.

One step at a time grasshopper.

Comment

Have you roasted yet?

Once you launch yourself into roasting you are unlikely to go back to buying browns.

In the Sydney climate your green beans should be ok in plastic for a while. In a tropical climate they might sweat.

Search for all the strings on Behmor roasters. I use a popper and mainly roast the different beans separately and then blend. Others here prefer to blend pre roast.

The last time I did that I was using the tail ends of several bags and while trying to get the slower beans ok, others got over roasted.

I blended this mix with other lighter roasts and it was good.

I have all the beans you list except the first two. They are all good.

Do you have a CoffeeSnobs membership card with the roasting colours?

They are not available at the moment but the picture is at: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1181455276
      Reply #9 where Greg Pullman has added numbers.

I usually roast to CS 7, 8 or 9. It is a personal matter of taste. Andy gives a guide to how he likes each coffee in his description. You roast it how you like it. It’s what you get in the cup that matters.

I usually make one coffee from the fresh roast, then after letting them gas off I put them away in a zip top bag for a few days before blending.

You need never drink stale coffee at home again.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by 5D617C676D6C7B6E666D090 link=1298519880/1#1 date=1298522901
        Originally posted by 5975667F4B47797D607C140 link=1298519880/0#0 date=1298519880
        Any tips with blending these.
        I recommend you forget about blending for now and get to learn the taste of each one on its own.

One step at a time grasshopper.

"Fair enough"

Comment

Originally posted by 042734343F19023328252728460 link=1298519880/2#2 date=1298523879
          Once you launch yourself into roasting you are unlikely to go back to buying browns.

Hope not  So looking forward too it

In the Sydney climate your green beans should be ok in plastic for a while. In a tropical climate they might sweat.

Kool

Search for all the strings on behmoor roasters. I use a popper and mainly roast the different beans separately and then blend. Others here prefer to blend pre roast.

Still doing that…think I will do p2 or p4 and stopp after first crack..still refining..

The last time I did that I was using the tail ends of several bags and while trying to get the slower beans ok, others got over roasted.

I blended this mix with other lighter roasts and it was good.

I have all the beans you list except the first two. They are all good.

Thank you and Kool about the beans

Do you have a CoffeeSnobs membership card with the roasting colours?

They are not available at the moment but the picture is at:
          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1181455276
          Reply #9 where Greg Pullman has added numbers.

Cheers!

I usually roast to CS 7, 8 or 9. It is a personal matter of taste. Andy gives a guide to how he likes each coffee in his description. You roast it how you like it. It’s what you get in the cup that matters.

I usually make one coffee from the fresh roast, then after letting them gas off I put them away in a zip top bad for a few days before blending.

You need never drink stale coffee at home again.

Barry

Thank you for your reply.. Have taken it all on board..

Comment

Originally posted by 45697A63575B65617C60080 link=1298519880/4#4 date=1298525317
            Still doing that…think I will do p2 or p4 and stopp after first crack..still refining..
            It sounds like you have a Behmor. I have never used P2 or P4 for any beans - mostly just P3.

I typically roast 340 g of beans and set the Behmor for 1 pound. Here is my standard routine, which gives me great results:

"NO extension cord, start Behmor with 1# P3 A
            Add two minutes at start of program - total time of 20:00

Rolling first crack with about 4 minutes left (varies widely)

Set timer for 10 seconds - when timer goes off, open door fully
            Set timer for 30 seconds - when timer goes off, close door

Set timer for 1:30 - when timer goes off, press cool to start cycle
            Set timer for :50 - when timer goes off, press stop, open door fully

Remove chaff tray, remove drum, close door and press cool again
            Dump beans into bean cooler, takes about 1 minute to cool fully"

Comment

Originally posted by 6673667B676E140 link=1298519880/5#5 date=1298688775
              Originally posted by 45697A63575B65617C60080 link=1298519880/4#4 date=1298525317
              It sounds like you have a Behmor. I have never used P2 or P4 for any beans - mostly just P3.

I typically roast 340 g of beans and set the Behmor for 1 pound. Here is my standard routine, which gives me great results:

"NO extension cord, start Behmor with 1# P3 A
              Add two minutes at start of program - total time of 20:00

Rolling first crack with about 4 minutes left (varies widely)

Set timer for 10 seconds - when timer goes off, open door fully
              Set timer for 30 seconds - when timer goes off, close door

Set timer for 1:30 - when timer goes off, press cool to start cycle
              Set timer for :50 - when timer goes off, press stop, open door fully

Remove chaff tray, remove drum, close door and press cool again
              Dump beans into bean cooler, takes about 1 minute to cool fully"
              Thank you,
              Just want to verify something do you open door whilst machine is still running straight after first crack.

And presumably dump beans whilst still in cooling cycle ..Must be hot... I imagine you use oven mits ,,

Cheers MArk

Comment

Originally posted by 7F5340596D615F5B465A320 link=1298519880/6#6 date=1298692089
                Thank you,
                Just want to verify something  do you open door whilst machine is still running straight after first crack.

And presumably dump beans whilst still in cooling cycle ..Must be hot... I imagine you use oven mits ,,

Cheers MArk
                You are correct on both points. I use some high temperature gloves that I bought for use with my Weber smoker.

Comment

Originally posted by 6D786D706C651F0 link=1298519880/7#7 date=1298727242
                  Originally posted by 7F5340596D615F5B465A320 link=1298519880/6#6 date=1298692089
                  Thank you,
                  Just want to verify something  do you open door whilst machine is still running straight after first crack.

Cheers MArk
                  You are correct on both points. I use some high temperature gloves that I bought for use with my Weber smoker.
                  Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X