Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Behmor roasting journey

Hi All,
    I have a dozen roasts under my belt now with my Behmor and have just received my order from Sundays sale so have some questions…

So far I have been using P2 and P4 and am happy with the results - YMMV as you guys have more experience than me but hey, you gotta start somewhere right?
    I like a dark roast so have been stopping the roasts about 5 seconds into 2C for my Peru Ceja de Selva estate, Colombian Supremo and Ethiopian Limmu (these are in the order of my liking to date).

If you were me, what would you choose to roast next and would you use the same P2 profile and weight Ive been using or would you keep experimenting? Have you roasted any of these in the Behmor and can offer any tips?
    Here’s what I got: Java Ijen Sundried, Yemen Al-Hajj Boaan, Costa Rica Cafétalera Herbazu and Java Kalistat.

Thanks in advance,
    Marc

Re: My Behmor roasting journey

Originally posted by 1A2224343B3224570 link=1300240063/0#0 date=1300240063
    If you were me, what would you choose to roast next and would you use the same P2 profile and weight Ive been using or would you keep experimenting?
    What weight and weight setting have you been using with the P2 profile, mate?

Comment

For 315g Ive been using 1P P2 C as recommended to me on here. Ive been hitting cool around 5 seconds after first signs of 2C and opening the door after about 30 seconds.

Comment

thats a similar weight to me, im doing 350g on 1lb
        at the end of first crack I open the door for 30 sec to lengthen the gap between first and seond

Ive roasted a costa rica terazzu with behmor on 1 / P2 / C with nice results, not exactly your costa rican bean but may be similar

I find P2 a good starting point, since the power drop makes it less likely for first and second to roll into each other

Comment

Originally posted by 0D3533232C2533400 link=1300240063/2#2 date=1300249322
          Ive been hitting cool around 5 seconds after first signs of 2C
          Playing around with it will really give you a better idea of what your tastebuds prefer.

I think the one thing that you can try is opening the door between 1C and 2C to experiment with lengthening the times between cracks.

The other thing I think you should try is to roast a tad darker. Maybe 10-20 seconds into second crack. You might like it, you might hate it, but you have to take it over/under your comfort zone, just to see if maybe its better that way. Also do the same thing stopping slightly before 2C even starts, just to see what your tastebuds like.

Comment

Thanks guys, with opening the door between cracks should I open it just a bit or all the way or in between?

I did two batches tonight, one of the Yemen and one of the Costa. I used the above settings and they both hit first crack around 10:30 remaining and the second crack at around 6:30 and 6:50 consecutively. I let the Yemen go 30 seconds into second and let the Costa go 15. The Yemen had an uneven roast with maybe 5-10% of the beans being quite a bit lighter. Ill try these batches and then try opening the door on the next batches and compare the dif.

Heres another question. I use the Vacuvin Coffee savers to store after roasting. So far I have been cooling the beans then putting them their containers and pumping out the air. For two days after I would release the seal and air the beans for 10 minutes before resealing. Is this OK?

Thanks for the tips, I realize every one has different taste but Id hate to ruin some decent beans by doing something stupid hence the Qs...

Comment

Originally posted by 6F5751414E4751220 link=1300240063/5#5 date=1300273302
              should I open it just a bit or all the way or in between?
              Just a bit. Just enough to keep the temperature from ramping up.

If youre roasting on the "P2" Profile, remember that the idea of that profile is to stop heating around the time of first crack, to extend the time between first and second crack. For P2C (21:30) the temperature drop is around 8:54 remaining, and for P2B (20:00) it is around 8:00 remaining. If youre hitting first crack significantly earlier than that, try going from C>B or B>A, or increase the bean mass slightly.

If you want to control the temperature with door opening, maybe try the P1 setting so that the power doesnt drop, then you can control the timing exactly without having to worry about that forced temp drop.

Comment

Awesome, thats the critique I wanted. Ill try B and then A if necessary. I like the 315g batch size as I get 8 batches to a bag from BeanBay so I dont really want to change the weight.

Thanks again mate, Ill keep going and update soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 6C5452424D4452210 link=1300240063/7#7 date=1300274303
                  I like the 315g batch size as I get 8 batches to a bag from BeanBay so I dont really want to change the weight.
                  Fair enough. Its also a good weight to get 250g brown out of it, so I see where youre coming from. Just remember, if you start doing blends as opposed to single origins, you wont get your perfect 8 from a bag anymore...

Comment

Hi all,
                    this is my 1st post, so firstly Id like to wish you all happy roast and many excellence batches.
                    Its quite strange to go here finding many superadvices from coffee world being less than 3hours by car near to Trieste and Illy empire.

However, Im proud owner of Behmor, too.
                    While, ive found pretty good solution for SHB with P2-C entering in drop heat interval, Id need an advice for soft beans.

P2 I find too agressive for soft beans while at P3,P4,P5 heat is rising between two cracks instead of slowing down to finish the roast.
                    Ive tried with P3,but after 1C is done control of roast seems impossible as beans are at doors of 2C in just 10-15".
                    With P5 would be ideal to skip last stage at 100% heat, but than remains only 17 divided in first two stages. Too less time, or batches should be no more than 150gr, I guess...

Any kind advice?

Comment

Welcome "el carnicero".... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

What Ive found works well, is to crack the door open (I use the handle of the brush that comes with the Behmor) once Rolling 1st-Crack is well under way. This slows the temperature rise enough that 2nd-Crack onset can be delayed depending on when you crack the door open.

Once you get a handle on timing during Rolling 1st_crack, as to when to crack open the door, its possible to delay the onset of 2nd-Crack by as much 6 minutes with a batch size of 350g. Its a very simple measure to employ but allows one to enjoy far greater control over the closing stages of the roast - When its really important....

Give it a try and see how you go as some experimenting might be required in order to fine tune things a bit. Of course, this method might not suit people who want/need to roast indoors as the resulting smoke intrusion may cause problems with Smoke Detectors or persistent odours... :-/

All the best,
                      Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 7F52565A573B0 link=1300240063/10#10 date=1301321083
                        as to when to crack open the door, its possible to delay the onset of 2nd-Crack by as much 6 minutes
                        Do you need to add time in order to achieve a delay of 6 minutes or are you getting to this point with a standard Behmor setting ? I find if you have to add time to achieve 2C even with the door cracked open it pushes you into darker roasts.

Comment

Tried P3 last night Mal, hit FC with about 4 minutes left on the roast, didnt make it to SC at all, but the beans still look and taste pretty good

I bet its a touch cooler here down in vic on the coast so I might try a 300g batch size, how much difference would 50g make to the times of FC, SC and so on?

Comment

Originally posted by 506F767F6945481A0 link=1300240063/11#11 date=1301353060
                            Do you need to add time in order to achieve a delay of 6 minutes or are you getting to this point with a standard Behmor setting ? I find if you have to add time to achieve 2C even with the door cracked open it pushes you into darker roasts.
                            I was using the C time setting originally and then adding an extra 2 minutes. Now though, I use D and dont worry about adding any extra time. Works out quite well here where we are...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 766E746975727F64696F060 link=1300240063/12#12 date=1301357617
                              Tried P3 last night Mal, hit FC with about 4 minutes left on the roast, didnt make it to SC at all, but the beans still look and taste pretty good

I bet its a touch cooler here down in vic on the coast so I might try a 300g batch size, how much difference would 50g make to the times of FC, SC and so on?
                              50g less should speed up the process slightly and may be just right for your location phrosty... Worth trying out anyway...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X