Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best at-home roaster

Hi everyone,

Im thinking about giving it a go at roasting some beans at home. Someone suggested a popcorn maker works well, but I have a bit more money in my budget to spend some more to get one...

Is there anything around $150? I went to a specialty coffee house and they had some for about $500 which is a bit out of my budget.

Thanks,

Re: What is the best at-home roaster

Originally posted by 597173467170140 link=1301457505/0#0 date=1301457505
    Hi everyone,

Im thinking about giving it a go at roasting some beans at home. Someone suggested a popcorn maker works well, but I have a bit more money in my budget to spend some more to get one...

Is there anything around $150? I went to a specialty coffee house and they had some for about $500 which is a bit out of my budget.

Thanks,
    On a small budget the only option is DIY

A popper is good but the roast amounts are small

If you like a little manual work while roasting
    The best bang for buck is
    1X heat gun
    1X stainless steel bowl
    1X wooden spoon

KK

Comment

Search for "Corretto" if you prefer a more hands free operation.

Heatgun (digital temperature control makes it easier)

Secondhand breadmaker (that has at least a 20min continuous dough cycle)

Some sort of stand arrangement to hold the heatgun and maybe the breadmaker stirrer would have to be shortened a bit to stop jamming are the only DIY setup skills you need to get started.

Some way to cool the beans quickly will be needed as well

Comment

Originally posted by 667D7462616C150 link=1301457505/2#2 date=1301602354
        Search for "Corretto" if you prefer a more hands free operation.

Heatgun (digital temperature control makes it easier)

Secondhand breadmaker (that has at least a 20min continuous dough cycle)
        Ill second that - hit the garage sales/ebay etc.  Second hand bread makers are a dime a dozen - must be a lot of people who think "fresh bread baked at home is the best thing ever", then a month later think "Who could be bothered!" 

I got my heatgun from Aldi for about $40, and breadmaker from K-Mart for similar amount.  I took the cheap way out because it was my first attempt and I wasnt sure what the results would be like... I can tell you, you will NOT be disappointed!

Comment

If you are after an "out of the box" roaster I think the I Roast II is probably the cheapest option.

Have a chat to Di Bartoli (sponsor), they advertise them for $375.00 + 250g of green beans.

Comment

A popcorn maker is a staring point.

A modest investment and easy to see and smell what is happening.

After 10 to 15 roasts you will have more knowledge and be better able to judge if home roasting is for you.

A Behmor is also a popular home roaster.

How many cups of coffee a week are you hoping to roast the coffee for?

Comment

Wholeheartedly agree with "petanque"... 8-)

Rather than buy a new Popper though, see if you can locate a used one in an Op-Shop or similar to further reduce the expense. Ive seen them in our local shops from $5.00-$10.00 so its worth a look.

They are a great learning tool and even after youve got a handle on whats involved with roasting coffee (and may have graduated to something larger), they come in very handy for situations where you need to roast very small batches for additions to blends.

Definitely think about it anyway....

Mal.

Comment

If youre new to roasting regardless of budget, go for the popcorn maker. If you burn the beans along the way, its no great loss, and thats much better than burning or losing 500-600gms of beans in a coretto.

When you consider a mature tree produces around 500gms of greens a season, thats a lot of land used to produce coffee.

I love my coffee, but i also like to think i am environmentally conscious, and the less waste the better.

I had great fun on the popper.
                Once you get the hang of roasting and youre enjoying it, then the next progression would be the coretto, a Behmor or the FZ-RR700 baby roaster in my opinion Megreg.

Looking forward to more of your coffee journey.

Gary at G

Comment

Hi Meg ,

Im sure if you listed your location a CS member will show you how easy it is to Corretto roast .....
                  It seems a bit daunting at first but really youll luv it.

Comment

Too true hotshod.

I used to think coretto roasting sounds too tricky for me until a fellow CSer at a Beanbay Pick-up day showed us how its done.
                    Then i thought, thats not too difficult at all.
                    Doesnt take too long to learn it thats for sure.
                    And fantastic results.

Id still recommend the popper first, then if youre enjoying it and want to go ahead, the coretto is not too difficult to master as the next step up.

Gary at G

Comment

Hi,
                      I progressed from popcorn maker to Corretto. They are fun to tinker with and give great results. Be careful with your selection of bread maker. The first one I used was given to me but had a plastic stirrer, which I didnt realize till it started to melt.
                      More fun can be had making stands, coolers etc. To me it depends on whether you want to "play" inventing your own solutions and having great coffee or just get the best roast as simply (and more expensively) as possible, and again having great coffee.

Comment

Hi All,
                        If you had the choice to buy any coffee roaster you wanted that was suitable for the home user ( being realistic) what would you get for a novice. Im sorry, and I dont want to offend anyone, but I cant be fagged with contraptions. I would be prepared to go to about $2000 or more possibly. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

Well its hard to beat the Behmor for off the shelf convenience..

Comment

+1 for the Corretto club, I started recently, loving it so far.

Grand total to get started was ~$30 for my bean cooler, Bread Maker came from my mother, already had a heatgun and photographic tripod to mount it on, currently manually logging temperature with a multimeter, building a thermocouple adapter for my PC shortly (just waiting for the last bits), taking this path, A) because I can, B) its cheap, and C) because I already have several multimeters

Comment

Originally posted by 6F6777607276716077050 link=1301457505/16#16 date=1340780028
                              +1 for the Corretto club, I started recently, loving it so far.
                              Hmm. You might have missed this

Originally posted by 4D64726E6A323232050 link=1301457505/11#11 date=1340683812
                              but I cant be fagged with contraptions.
                              and cost doesnt seem to be an issue..

Originally posted by 4D64726E6A323232050 link=1301457505/11#11 date=1340683812
                              I would be prepared to go to about $2000 or more possibly.

Comment

Working...
                              X