About to coretto for first time, advice on BM mixing pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to coretto for first time, advice on BM mixing pls

I picked up a Breville BB400 last night, and tried to modes to get the mixing happening. There is a dough mode that "kneads", bit its not a constant its more like a pulse mode, its still fairly fast, but not 100% constant mix.

Will this suffice? Or is there some other setting? Or will this BM need mods?

Thanks!

Re: About to coretto for first time, advice on BM mixing pls

Hi James,

I dont know about the BB400, but Ive got the BB250. In the "Dough" mode it pulses for 3 minutes, then takes off with a constant spin thereafter. Possibly the 400 is the same... Ive done no mods whatever to my 250 (other than removing the lid and drilling a hole for the temp probe). Plus, I use alfoil to cover the majority of the top (to retain as much heat as possible).

(I use the first 3 mins to give the pan a gentle pre-heat whilst measuring out my beans, etc.)

All the best with it, its a great way to roast IMMHO.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 4D666A62744A070 link=1302738003/0#0 date=1302738003
      I picked up a Breville BB400 last night, and tried to modes to get the mixing happening. There is a dough mode that "kneads", bit its not a constant its more like a pulse mode, its still fairly fast, but not 100% constant mix.

Will this suffice? Or is there some other setting? Or will this BM need mods?

Thanks!
      Hi James, I used that cycle on my Corretto with no adverse effects on roast quality, I found 600g an ideal batch amount for heat monitoring and evenness of roast. Good luck with your Corretto
      gman

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys, so helpful!

So perhaps I could run that dough mode and see if it changes from a pulse to a spin after 3min. The booklet and the LCD both indicate that the mode will run for 1hr25m! Kneading only, no cooking, just kneading.

If this is the mode to use, then I will give it a crack hehe.

I am yet to obtain a heat gun or set up a fan and cooling tray/device.

Very keen to get started, have put it off for around a year, no idea why, just been busy I suppose. Since giving up my previous hobby, very keen to get in to this.

Recommendations on a green bean from beanbay to suit mainly milk drinks? Or just get the starter bag?

Thanks again for the help. Will get pics up when I get set up!

James

Comment

Originally posted by 547F737B6D531E0 link=1302738003/3#3 date=1302744513
          Recommendations on a green bean from beanbay to suit mainly milk drinks? Or just get the starter bag?
          Yeah, go the starter bag. See what you like from there. (Make sure you get a data metre - bit hard to control roasts without one.)

Good luck.

Comment

Gday James,
            Ive got a BB290.
            Incorporating mode for first 3 minutes then goes into constant mixing for 25 minutes, which is sufficient time for a roast that goes anywhere from 12 min to 22 min. Any less or more than that, you have problems.
            When you note the constant mixing cycle kicking in, thats the time to put you beans in.

A heatgun that has variable heat settings is useful.
            The best cooling device is a exhaust fan in a bucket set up.
            Plenty of posts regarding the coretto and cooling devices. Just have a look see.

I can recommend Greenmans advice on 600gm loads, the result is a well balanced roast in the optimum time of 15-17 minutes.

Starter pack is a good start for starters ;D
            Try each one of those four individually. Dont do any blends as yet, as you want to gain a knowledge of each type of bean to your liking.
            The roasted beans will fit in Andys Coffeesnobs one way valve bags.

I can also recommend attending a Beanbay Pickup from a nominated host in Perth.
            Apart from enjoying $1.50 a kilo postage, you can pick up friendly advice from other snobs.

Caffeinefreak who hosts the Pickup was instrumental in helping me on the coretto journey with his demos.

You can post pics in the "My first coretto roast-wrning plenty of pics" section of "Roasting, tips and tricks" of this forum.

Gary at G

Comment

So awesome! Off to pick up heat gun and hopefully exhaust fan, today. Great tips guys, thank you! And yeah, Ive been reading through the other threads, loads of awesome info.

I forgot to mention, I have a non-logging DMM with two temp probes on it, but the probes are what seem like plastic coated, probably not suited to these kinds of temps. Probably not much use to me without the right high-temp probes on it. I see Andy has the probes, might investigate further.

Back soon with more

Comment

didnt get a chance to get supplies today, perhaps tomorrow.

On another note, I removed the BM lid, it just pulled off. I also took the teflon-ish coating off the paddle, and set up a bench ready for some action.

I was tinkering with the BB400 settings and found that you can program your own settings in to it, I discovered that knead 1 is the pulse mix thing, and knead2 is the constant mix. So I set knead1 to 0, and knead2 to 25min. When I hit start, sure enough, constant spin! Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 1B2E393B160B5C0 link=1302738003/1#1 date=1302739447
                  I dont know about the BB400, but Ive got the BB250. In the "Dough" mode it pulses for 3 minutes, then takes off with a constant spin thereafter. Possibly the 400 is the same... Ive done no mods whatever to my 250 (other than removing the lid and drilling a hole for the temp probe). Plus, I use alfoil to cover the majority of the top (to retain as much heat as possible).

This is exactly how i roast in the BB250 and i agree, it works beautifully! Wouldnt corretto any other way now.

Comment

Originally posted by 765D51594F713C0 link=1302738003/7#7 date=1302785247
                    I was tinkering with the BB400 settings and found that you can program your own settings in to it, I discovered that knead 1 is the pulse mix thing, and knead2 is the constant mix. So I set knead1 to 0, and knead2 to 25min. When I hit start, sure enough, constant spin! Nice.
                    Nice indeed!

Comment

update, I built my bean cooling device today. Slowly preparing everything before I start my first roast.

I got my hands on some greens from El Salvador, and Bolivia, more on that later.

Ive set up a web site, dedicated to my new hobby!

http://thebeaningoflife.com/

hope you like the name of my roastery

Comment

Just did my first roast. It seemed to take forever compared to what others are getting, time wise. I know I should ignore other peoples times, but it goes something like this:

El Salvador Majeda 13:22pm
                        First Crack 17min
                        Second Crack 23min
                        Temp at 2nd Crack 192c
                        Ambient temp 32c

Temps were taken with an IR temp gun (on the roast), and a DMM for the ambient air temp (because it doesnt have stainless probe)

I think I might have completely missed 2nd crack, is it usually difficult to hear? 1C was very distinctive.

I had the heat gun only on about half-temp, 8-min in and very little colour change, I uped it more, to almost full. At around 12 min I put a bit of a cover over the roast (a big floor tile) because it was windy outside. Lol, consistency will be fail! After 1C I took the tile off, and turned the heat gun down a little

I think next time I will leave the heat gun up high, and have the tile over the roast from the word go. (or do a tin/foil set up).

The roast looks okay, compared to some other fairly fresh beans I have at home, looks good, pics are in the link below

http://thebeaningoflife.com/first-roast

Comment

forgot to mention, pre roast weight 500gm, post roast 410gm.

Comment

Well done James,

Next time, start with 490-500deg celcius on the gun.
                            First crack should arrive anywhere between 10 minutes to 14 minutes.
                            If your gun doesnt have adjustments, find a stand, like a camera tripod ( u can find them in the Quokka paper), a soft drink cap stand or a drill stand and fix your gun to it.

When start of first crack happens, lower the heat by about 50 deg on the gun setting, or increase the height of the gun if you using a stand. Between first and second you are aiming for a 3 second approx rise a minute on the DMM.
                            Have a fan running so that the chaff blows away from the gun, not into it. Low speed. Chaff blocking the inlet can cause problems.

Note down the time it takes from start to first crack. If it falls below or over the times mentioned, then you can make adjustments to the heat input over time.

This period of roasting is quite a steep learning curve for anyone starting out on a coretto.

It;s like cooking. Always good if you can taste the results between your first roast and your second and so forth until you find the right one for u.

Gary at G

Comment

Hi JamesM
                              Prepare to become totally addicted ;D With my first coretto roast (approx 8 months ago) I erred on the side of caution with heat input and consequently dragged the time out quite a bit ....... still thought the roast was great lol. Best of luck on your journey of discovery. You can get plenty of help and advice if you need it from fellow CSs.

Comment

Working...
                              X