Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roasting Guide for USB Data Logger (Non-Official and Experimental)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasting Guide for USB Data Logger (Non-Official and Experimental)

Hey all,

Im sharing the successor to my original roasting spreadsheet guide from 2008, it follows a similar approach to roasting via a default profile – except now it graphs the live data from the CS USB Data Logging DMM.

It contains nowhere near the feature set of the official CS USB Roasting Software, it relies on a “fixed” default profile and simply graphs your live progress along with a few visual aids and stats to help keep that HG in tune with your roast.

This is a pure .NET solution written in C# (so no JRE req.)

To try it out – just follow these steps:
    1. ensure you have ASP.NET Framework installed (3.5 or later)
    2. download and extract the contents of the zip file into a folder
    3. double click the RoastMonWPF.exe file and the program should run
    (It’s portable, so you can pop it on a USB stick)

Keep in mind that this is unofficial and experimental – it might be useful – it might not.  I’ve done limited testing, so it may or may not work for you and your computer...

– in other words, use at your own risk!

However, feedback regarding success/failures is appreciated – have fun!
    Pete

PS - At some stage in the future, I do plan to update this with the facility to manipulate the default profile from within the app - and possibly store multiple profiles.

[hr]

Download:
    http://www.pivottechnology.com/hgbm/RoastMonWPF.zip

Screenshot:

Re: Roasting Guide for USB Data Logger (Non-Official and Experimental)

Nice UI! Cant wait till my DMM arrives will give this a shot

Comment

Originally posted by 7E5559514779340 link=1303348034/1#1 date=1303354099
      Nice UI! Cant wait till my DMM arrives will give this a shot
      Thanks - I wanted the UI "BIG" so I could read it from across the room! Let me know how it runs when ya DMM arrives!

Comment

well Im considering a pole/stand mounted 22" display at the roasting station. It will be nice to focus on getting the temp correct rather than taking notes with a pen every 1 min AND trying to keep the heat right.

Will provide some feedback when I have it all up

Comment

a sneak peak at the new "roasting station" Im putting together, a bit of a crap and dark pic, in my garage. Ill have more on this later, but, for now, check out the new roasting software on the display panel

Comment

Originally posted by 072C20283E004D0 link=1303348034/4#4 date=1303552525
            a sneak peak at the new "roasting station" Im putting together, a bit of a crap and dark pic, in my garage. Ill have more on this later, but, for now, check out the new roasting software on the display panel
            Thats an awesome rig!! Esp love the pole mounted lcd at eye height! Making me re-think my setup now!

Comment

My DMM arrived yesterday so I fired up your software and tested the DMM, works fine, its very easy to read, big graphics/stats, excellent. Do you have plans to enhance it further? with perhaps ability to enter "cracks" and perhaps export or save data, or do comparison roasts, etc.

Havent roasted with the DMM yet, hopefully tomorrow morning

Comment

Originally posted by 28030F07112F620 link=1303348034/6#6 date=1304037976
                My DMM arrived yesterday so I fired up your software and tested the DMM, works fine, its very easy to read, big graphics/stats, excellent.
                Fantastic - looking forward to the outcome of the first roast using your new setup!

Originally posted by 28030F07112F620 link=1303348034/6#6 date=1304037976
                Do you have plans to enhance it further? with perhaps ability to enter "cracks" and perhaps export or save data, or do comparison roasts, etc.
                Been thinking about it - shouldnt be too hard to add those kinds of features. I suspect after the Melbourne Beanology weekend, Ill be trying some new apprroaches to how I roast, and therefore a richer feature set will be in order!

Comment

more than happy to help you with further dev of this app, its great. I tried it today.

First features for me would be the ability to click or press a button to indicate bean load first and 2nd crack and bean pull. If this could be single keys you could press on the keyboard, that would be great (no alt-G, just "G") for example. Quick and easy without spending much time on the keyboard, and ability to use a keymapper in the future to map actual punch buttons to the computer. More on this later

Ability to export data somehow, or a built in screen cap/grabber button that takes a pic of the screen and saves it out somewhere as jpg/png. Either is fine.

Can think of a bunch more things, but Im still a roasting noob!

Anyway, report of my data logger install and 3rd roast using this software is here on my blog:

http://thebeaningoflife.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X