Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not all Behmors are alike?

Hey all,

So I recently bought a Behmor 1600, (like every good CS-er should!), and it has been roasting completely differently to how my mates is roasting.

With his machine, roasting 333gm at a time on P2 B, would generally get to first crack around the 10-12 minute mark, sometimes earlier, leave the door ajar after that and would avoid getting to second crack, stopping about 4 minutes after first. Sometimes would take it to 2nd crack, which would be about 30 seconds after, but the beans would always be a pretty good colour, and turn out great.

With my machine... completely different.

My first roast I had 400gm on P2 C, got to first crack at 7:30, put door ajar... and never got to 2nd crack. The first batch was really light. Thats 21:30 of roasting, not to reach 2nd crack. Following roasts of same settings / quantities, I didnt put door ajar, got to 2nd crack around 13:10 and would have to let it run about 40 seconds in to 2nd crack to get a decent colour, or else itd be really light and not nearly done enough. That was with the Peru Ceja de Selva Estate beans.

Today, did 333gm of Indian Balmaadi, P2 B, got to first crack in 5:11 (!!! super quick, no?), 1st crack finished around 7:30 so I put door ajar for a bit because 1st crack came so fast, thought I should try slow it down a bit, beans stayed super light for ages, at 14:00 closed the door again, 2nd crack came at 18:15 and I let that run for 80 seconds to get darker. Probably should have stopped it 60 seconds in, but regardless... why am I needing to let it get to 2nd crack, let alone for a minute with my machine, when with his if you let it run into 2nd crack, itll burn?

He keeps his machine in good condition, its not broken or anything, its like when I put my door ajar, nothing happens in the mean time, the beans barely change colour in the slightest. Also, why am I getting to 1st crack so much faster than his machine, when both machines are running @ 100% anyway, with similar quantities, and sometimes even the same bean?

Its not that my beans are coming out tasting bad or anything, still taste great (so long as I let them go into 2nd long enough), its just... confusing.

Any insight would be great! Both of us are scratching our heads a bit at this one. Think Id like to try a side by side roast with him in the coming weeks...

~M

Re: Not all Behmors are alike?

You working tonight? Lets do this side by side roast. The house will smell wonderful.

Comment

Im working until 9:15, could do a late night roast?

Comment

Is there a difference: if one is set to 240v and the other set to 230v?

Comment

Are talking a side-by-side comparison? Same power outlet / lead?

One of the common variables with Behmors is the input power. I found my roasting changed dramatically when moving house last year.

Comment

Originally posted by 436266695845626669070 link=1305864653/4#4 date=1305873932
            Are talking a side-by-side comparison? Same power outlet / lead?

One of the common variables with Behmors is the input power.
            Id agree with that....

If youre going to be doing a side by side roast, you should ensure that the power points being used are supplied from independent circuits, to ensure voltage stability of each roaster. Also, check each roasters setup prior to starting to ensure the voltage settings are identical.

This will ensure youre comparing apples with apples, at least.....

Mal.

Comment

Both are set to 240v.

But good idea in regards to having them on independent circuits, would never have thought of that.

Will hopefully find time in the coming week to do a side by side roast.

Also, what sort of time should I be aiming for in regards to 1st crack? Will choose a different profile, possibly one that starts around the 70% mark to draw out the first portion of the roast next time.

Comment

Id be sticking with smallish batch sizes to start with, say 150-200g. The main thing would be that both of you use exactly the same mass of beans per batch, same profile, same everything and then compare the results.

Because you are trying to create identical outcomes, it would be best not to predetermine when the various milestones of the roast occur. Better to accurately record these as the roast progresses and then compare notes afterwards. I would be trying to take the batches into the first few lazy snaps of 2nd-Crack though and then cup the end results after the beans have cooled right down. Doesnt matter that they will be very fresh, perhaps try your hands at some simple cupping using a basic pour-over drip brewer or similar. The beans will probably be too fresh to try as espresso...

Each of you should cup your own batches and then each others and afterwards compare notes again. You will be able to taste anything thats different between the two if the Roasters are performing differently.

Thats some food for though anyway. You can be as thorough or as simplistic as you like, this way, so long as you both agree on the terms of reference beforehand. Anyway, have fun with it because thats the name of the game....

Cheers,
                Mal.

Comment

Ive alluded to this "problem" (I dont think its a problem, more just something that people should be aware of) before. I genuinely believe they are all different, and even if they arent, people should be developing their own techniques, and thus understanding.

My behmor is set to 240v, the voltage at the wall is ~238V (checked with two meters), and if I put a 300g roast on 1P P4 C with the door closed for the whole time, I wont even hit 1st crack.

Comment

It may not need to be said but just in case, to insure youre comparing apples to apples roast the same bean from the same bag in both roasters.

Java "Fun with roasting!" phile
                    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Some variation is inevitable does the door seal properly on both?

If you seem slow to reach second crack it seems reasonable not to open the door.

Comment

Working...
                      X