Post Beanology trial roasts..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Beanology trial roasts..

Two of the talks at Beanology that I found really informative and personally useful were the ones by Joseph and Mark - coffee chemistry and roasting.

I did a couple of trial roasts of the KJM blend on return with some tweaks to investigate how playing around with the 150C to 160C times change the roast.

This isnt particularly easy with the Gene, and Ill certainly return to this when I finish the new (more controllable) roaster. But the results are very interesting.

The reference roast was my normal profile - which for the Gene is basically flat out with FC happening at between 10 and 10.5 minutes. The other profile has a bit of a pause (the slope of the ramp reduced) from 150C to 160C. The extra time between these two points would have been about 30seconds, but it is not really possible to be definitive. FC for this batch came on at 11:12.

The taste difference? Well, huge. Both batches are (as far as I can tell) the same roast depth, but the slowed batch has a bit more mouthfeel, a heck of a lot less acidity (with all due respect to Joseph) and a much more muted flavour profile.

As an espresso, the slowed roast seems to be preferred by a couple of my informal "tasters". In a latté it is (IMHO) just plain dull and boring.

So a marginal increase in the Maillard reaction zone for this roast mix has a pretty spectacular effect. When I am able to do a beefier roast, Ill play with reducing the Maillard time.

But interesting anyway. Full kudos to Mark for his pretty full on talk about this stuff.

/Kevin

Re: Post Beanology trial roasts..

Hi Kevin
    I have also been paying attention to the temperature rise from 150 to 180 since Beanology.
    For my initial trials I have used the Behmor and compared three profiles P2 P3 & P4.
    For non Behmor users these are pre programmed profiles (Px) that adjust how the heat is applied during the roasting cycle.
    I am finding that the P4 profile is giving me the slowest ramp over this temperature range.
    I have attached a couple of graphs for comparison.
    The first one is a comparison of two P4 profiles they were done on different days and both with 320g of beans.
    The profiles are close enough to identical up to 8.5 minutes. The lower temp profile is interesting because it seemed to stall at a couple of points and the only explanation seems to be that the ambient temp was only 9 Deg C, the roaster seemed to struggle with this.
    The other graph is 1 P4 overlaid with a 1/2 P2 so there is a difference in the weight of beans 1lb vs 1/2lb but it illustrates the different temperature ramps over that critical temperature range.

Comment

OK - but how do the different profiles taste?

"Its all in the cup"

/Kevin

Comment

At this stage I have been trying to establish the profile over the specific temp range. I am aiming to slow the ramp up at this point in the roast without stalling.
        For a true assesment I need to roast the same weight & same beans on the two profiles for a direct comparison.
        I also want to experiment with the coretto as I have more control over the temperature adjustment.
        More experimentation is required.
        I will update with some cupping feedback further down the track.

Comment

Hmmm....

Seems a little familiar to some of the propositions put forward by Willem Boot. Along these lines....
          http://www.bootcoffee.com/roastprofiling.html

Given that Im never likely to be able to attend fantastic events such as Beanology, information like this from Boot has been quite helpful.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Small update.

Im lucky to have such a wide selection of colleagues at the University : One of which is a fully trained and paid-up winemaker. His palate is pretty hard to fox!

We did an A/B test of the two roasts this morning in the Tea room.

I can report that the slightly extended maillard times resulted in a cup that was both slightly heavier bodied and somewhat more "integrated". Nick refused to say bland, but that was his second choice description. The smoothness of the cup was also appreciated. The overall: if you could have the taste of the normal blend with the mouthfeel and smoothness of the slowed roast, you could sell it by the kilo....

/Kevin

Comment

That should be achievable Kevin...

Roast half the beans with your standard profile and the other half with the extended mid-section... Its quite a common thing to do and realises some excellent results in the cup 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 6845414D402C0 link=1307254012/6#6 date=1307363754
                Roast half the beans with your standard profile and the other half with the extended mid-section... Its quite a common thing to do and realises some excellent results in the cup
                Slightly too late there Mal, we did a 50/50 and 75/25 mix on the spot! : Great minds think alike (Sadly though, fools never differ either, and Im never sure which bag has my name on it....)

But anyway: yet another update! Today is day#9 of the roasts and Im rather curious to report that the mouthfeel differences remain, but the hitherto slightly blander roast is catching up with the normative roast! I suspect a heck of a lot more experimentation is actually needed on this... Tomorrow Ill try to suck Hazbean into doing an A/B now he is back in the country..

Cheers
                /Kevin

Comment

I tried to change the ramp between 150 & 180 using a corretto. I did not quite achieve the outcome I wanted but it may still be an interesting comparison.
                  I could not get the BM to start today, kept getting "err" message, finally worked out the ambient was too low at 8 Deg. It appears it senses the temp at which the yeast will fail to make the bread rise. I had to heat it up with the HG to get it started !!

Comment

OK - last update on the trial with those two roasts. (Bit late, I know, but Ive had other things to do... )

Day #12 - the slower roast was preferred by both tasters! The mouthfeel remained substantially better than the normative profile, and the taste had picked up. The "taste" compared to the standard was somewhat less chocolatey and more of the toasty caramels. The sweetness was very marginally lower than the standard, and (strangely) the acidity levels seemed to be about the same as they started at, whereas the standard profiles acidity seemed to have drooped. So the standard profile was very smooth and "chocolatey" (which Mrs. KJM would very much approve of : ) and the slower profile was more "coffee" like (for want of a better description).

I wish I had Josephs tasting skills and his taste/aroma wheel!

Cheers
                    /Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 18191E530 link=1307254012/9#9 date=1308219480
                      I wish I had Josephs tasting skills and his taste/aroma wheel!
                      Cant help you with the taste buds but here is a copy of the aroma/taste wheel that Joseph used

Cheers,

Bruce

Comment

Hey - many thanks for that Bruce. I really love the descriptions! Not quite as big as the "wine" flavour wheel, with its wet dog entry though!

Cheers
                        /Kevin

Comment

Working...
                        X