Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Closed" Coretto advice needed.

Hello forum readers,

I created this topic to seek advice regarding roasting with the "closed" coretto system.

My first roast went well.
    Heatgun on 500deg at medium speed until first crack. Turned heat down to 420 at medium fan speed and maintained til second crack before dumping beans to cool with some chaff retained.
    Result was a better tasting cup compared to a "open" system, but not a great deal better.

The urge to improve was surging in my veins.

Fast forward to the second roast. This time following roast sample guidelines as well as other snobs advice, i followed the same procedure as the first roast up until just before first crack, whereupon i cranked fan to full speed and reduced heat to 400 deg as an intelligent guess. The roast then proceeded to run away from me, as the first crack finished, it proceeded to start second crack and the roast monitor was still showing 9 degrees per minute. Not happy....
    I tasted the result a few days later. It just did not have the same sweetness and character as the first roast.

I do understand that the combined effect of the lag from the heat gun taking time to adjust down the temperature combined with the heat retaining properties of a covered system, the increased fan speed and exothermic bean effects all contributed to producing the greenhouse effect.

I intend to try and rectify this and follow the same path as the roast guidelines but will be turning the heatgun further down in an effort to achieve the desired 2-3 degrees rise per minute after first crack in order to separate first and second by approx. 4-5 minutes to ensure optimum roast development.

Im still on a learning curve with this one.
    So i would appreciate any help or advice from those with covered corettos to help me nail a god roast. 
    Does anyone have any experience to pass on to me?

Again, the suggestions was as follows, low to medium airflow from start til 8-9 minutes, then increase airflow to maximum and turn down heat.
    Thing is, how much heat to reduce?

Hopefully i can pass pass on my findings to others after i nail this thing.  8-)

Gary at G

Re: "Closed" Coretto advice needed.

I ran my fan on speed two until around 120C mark with heat set on 5 (range of 1-9), then fan on 3 and ramped heat to 6-7, if I was expecting 1C at 12mins I would ease back the heat gradually at around the 11min mark and coast into first crack and rolling first with the ramp easing back to 3-4C per minute until I reached the desired roast level, its just a matter of becoming familiar with your new closed in corretto, before long it will become second nature--enjoyy
    see you on Saturday

Comment

Gday Gary....

CSer "denki" has been producing some very impressive results with his setup of late but Im not sure if he covers the bread-pan on his Corretto... The Roast Monitor results look really good though.... 8-)

Im going to fire-up my Corretto again this week sometime, for some relo roasts, so Ill be sure to capture the charted results for you as a means of comparison...

Cheers mate,
      Mal.

Comment

I appreciate you passing on your experience to me Greenman. Ill follow your tips and do a roast tommorow. Will try and post the result of the roast chart as well. Will catch up this Saturday.

Howdy Mal,
        Is there a link you send me regarding Denkis results?
        As soon as i finish off decorating the clay cover, ill post pics and start on the fibreboard version you offered as a solution. Looking forward to it.
        Enjoy the reli roast and i look forward to your results.

Gary at G

Comment

Gary...

"denki" has posted up several roast details in the "Whats in my Roaster This Week?" thread over the past couple of months. If you just scroll through them starting towards the end of the current page and then work your way backwards...

Hes been a pretty busy bloke so theres plenty to check out.... ;D

Mal.

Comment

Update on todays roast,

480deg cel on the Bosch 630 heatgun at medium speed to roast 600gms of greens.

Race face focusing at 11 minute mark when smells coming out of the hole reminds me first crack looming.
            Turned heatgun down to350deg and fan on at full speed.
            First crack at 12.5 min mark. Rate climb slowed but still at 6deg per minute.
            Turned gun down further to 310 deg for a 5 minute gap to 2nd crack. C9.
            Ambient temperature was 18 deg celcius.

Previous settings for "open" system, ie coretto without cover, was 500deg, then turned down to 440 deg upon first crack.

The differences in settings between the two formats was an eye opener and it took this old fella some adapting.

The "closed" system i feel may be quite a challenge for some contemplating this as it requires a bit of gut instinct and careful observation as well as a roast monitor strongly recommended.

Will cup this in a week and reveal the results. I still have the previous roast that ran away from me a few days ago, so i got something to compare with.
            Hopefully if the results are better, ill stick to the "closed" system and give others who want to give this a try some confidence.

Gary at G

Comment

Originally posted by 716B666775637B7171020 link=1308489387/5#5 date=1308634455
              smells coming out of the hole
              hehe

this is the setup i use, smokeydeck did all the hard work, then taught me how to use it, what a legend!

it is covered with a metal tin, which has a hole for the heat to enter, and a side rectangular hole for chaff to escape.

Comment

i also have another corretto setup where it is all enclosed and the chaff is captured. this one unfortunatey needs some work as the retained heat causes issues with the modified heat gun

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1302236950

Comment

Hi Gary,

I have used a removable cover for the last half dozen roasts with success. I have the same Bosch heat gun and start the roast at 500c on full speed with the cover on. The last roast (see graph) 1C was at 11 min 30sec. At this stage, I take the cover off and turn the gun down to 420C. This allows me to coast to 2C 5 minutes later (2C @ 16 min 40 sec). I dont know if yours is removable or not but I could envisage the roast running away from me if I left the cover on...

Food for thought.

Comment

Gday Greybeard, and thanks for posting.

That graph looks very good.

I would like to know how it tasted for you.
                    I have the removable cover, and i must say its interesting to learn that you remove the cover at 1C.

Will do my next roast using your technique and then taste the results.

I did my previous roasts with cover on completely the whole time.
                    Medium speed til 1C then full speed from there with heat turned down, and im still learning how much to turn down, thats the trick.

All kinds of variables involved, and its kinda fun and painful finding out.

Gary at G

Comment

I blended the Ceja de Selva with some Yeni Navan roasted a bit darker and it is a cracker of a blend. I have still got some of the Peruvian left so I might try it by itself next roast.

I found when I removed the cover and reduced the heat, the temp was increasing at about 2-3C per minute until the usual stall after 1C ended. Then it coasted at about 4-5C per minute to second. But I suppose that not all correttos are created equal and you need to find that sweet spot in your technique. I lucked onto mine and have not had a bad roast since I put the "Stealth Roaster" together.

Cheers,

Greybeard

Comment

Garry there is another option it will require a screwdriver

On most bread makers the lid is lined with a steel dome with a cut-out for the viewing glass
                        This dome is held in place with 4 screws

If you unscrew this you will have a lid that has a hole cut out for the heat gun

If your model is solid its not hard to make a hole to suit the heat gun

So I hope my research into this subject will help you and others in there future plans of a closed Correto

KK

Comment

Sorry KK,

Lid has been discarded since coverting to coretto.

Thats a great option for those who would like to convert theirs.
                          Theres a few on Youtube with heatguns through sightglass.

Gary at G

Comment

Originally posted by 4D575A5B495F474D4D3E0 link=1308489387/12#12 date=1309690293
                            Sorry KK,

Lid has been discarded since converting to coretto.

Thats a great option for those who would like to convert theirs. 
                            Theres a few on Youtube with heatguns through sightglass.

Gary at G
                            Never mind Gary you have a good replacement in the iCover

My theory is that if the steel part used separately then the you have the exhaust slots ready made

I dont think it would work as efficiently with the whole plastic lid (but I could be proven wrong)

Anyway the idea is free to use for the next one

KK

Comment

Yes i do KK.

I am kicking myself somewhat though for discarding the lid.

So far the most effective roast i have done is greybeards suggestion of full fan all the way and removing the lid at first crack.
                              Thanks.

Is an interesting exercise re-adjusting the grinder setting for the different bean chemistry after being used to the "open" system.

I will however, re-attempt the original program once i get access to cheap beans in the future, and compare tasting notes.

Gary at G

Comment

Working...
                              X