Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a good safe bean to learn roasting on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a good safe bean to learn roasting on?

Howdy folks,

Ive been brewing for years and its finally time to start roasting.

I want to learn to roast on a full sized bag because with the sample bag I have to keep changing variety every 500g. This will make it hard to tell how differences in roasts change the flavour, as difference in vqariewty will distract from the roast.

So Ill need a bag that tastes reliably nice (if its not a tasty bean Ill be blaming the flavour on my roast when the real problem is the original green bean).

I also need a bean hat is easy to roast (I dunno if different beans are harder or easier to roast).

Ill be using a coretto setup.

Im hoping to buy today so by the time the beans arrive my setup will be ready

Thanks in advance

hugz

Re: Whats a good safe bean to learn roasting on?

excuse typos above please, typing with damaged hand

Hugz

Comment

Hi hugz, hope the paw is better soon . My suggestion is the Peru Ceja de Selva. One of my favourite beans, not expensive, easy to roast and gert good results. It can be used as a quality base for a blend or as a stand alone. It doesnt seem to offend people with its taste although it may be considered uninteresting by some.

Steve.

Comment

In my limited roasting experience, the easiest bean to roast well and consistently is Peru Ceja De Selva Estate. I just got another 2.5kgs from beanbay. Always turns out great, light, medium or dark roasted.
        I have also found the Brazil beans pretty good.

Comment

Thanks

ooks pretty likely that tomorrow Ill be ordering some Peru Ceja De Selva Estate, express post

So far I already have an unused bread-maker, a Multimeter with a temperature probe and a fan lying around. All I need is a heat gun and a few hours to construct a stand

hugz

Comment

Well hugz, I can only agree with the above. Very even when you do the Ceja, and easy to hear the cracks etc.

Id also put in a bid for a PNG bean - very different flavour profile and also (IMHO) very even and straight forward to do.

But Id also put forward the suggestion to maybe tee up a session with a local CSer. You might get a good headstart. I know I landed softly into roasting because the Hazbeans came around and we roasted those first batches together. It really does help!

All the best
            /Kevin

Comment

Yes, Peru is definitely a good place to start. Thats what I used to start with a few years
              ago. Banged a few hundred holes into a baking tray with a hole punch, spread about 30g
              of beans over it in a single layer, and into a pre heated oven. 30 secs between cracks.
              Upgraded to a popper very shortly thereafter ....

Comment

Originally posted by 0B0A0D400 link=1309152829/5#5 date=1309159879
                But Id also put forward the suggestion to maybe tee up a session with a local CSer.  You might get a good headstart.  I know I landed softly into roasting because the Hazbeans came around and we roasted those first batches together.  It really does help!

All the best
                /Kevin
                Awesome idea! I live pretty centrally in Brisbane so it shouldnt be too hard to find a local once i get my gear together Ill put out a call

Comment

+1 for the Peru, its an excellent bean to start with (great one to drink as well).

There are likely to be lots of CSers out there who would love to share their roasting passion with you. May be worth updating your profile with your location, Im sure there will be lots of Brisbanians who will be happy to help you.

Comment

Ill put in another vote for the peru, could almost roast it with your eyes closed

Any Nicaraguan bean ive always found very easy to get a nice roast out of, should also mention the mexico and vietnam currently available in beanbay as well

Comment

All of the Papua New Guinea beans that Andy sources are good, straight forward roasters too...

Costa Rica Tarrazu is a goodn as are most of our Central American beans except perhaps the Strictly Hard Bean (SHB) or Strictly High Grown (SHG) as they can demand a bit more attention.

Good quality South American beans are pretty straight forward too (such as the Peru referred to above). My favourites are good quality Colombian and Bolivian beans.

Well graded and processed Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is probably the pick of African beans where ease of roasting is concerned and terrific quality in the cup. If you can source some high quality Rwanda or Uganda beans, these are not too difficult to get great results from.

Lots of options.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Peru and PNG beans are easy to roast and tastes great.
                        Usually i would suggest a batch of Brazilian for those trying out roasting for first time as they are affordable, but if you feel like you can trust your own instinct, and corettos are easy enough to get the hang of it, then go for the Peru and PNG.

Enjoy your joys of roasting. Theres nothing like coffee brewed from beans you have roasted yourself.

Gary at G

Comment

Peru is on its way Just picked up a heat gun now. Bread maker and temp-sensor are on standby and Ill just have to deal with a sore arm until I build a stand

Comment

Originally posted by 2835273A400 link=1309152829/12#12 date=1309255856
                            Ill just have to deal with a sore arm until I build a stand

Have you got a camera tripod? and some duct tape?

Comment

Originally posted by 0D2A2E21100D2A2E3D4F0 link=1309152829/13#13 date=1309263985
                              Originally posted by 2835273A400 link=1309152829/12#12 date=1309255856
                              Ill just have to deal with a sore arm until I build a stand 

Have you got a camera tripod? and some duct tape?
                              Sorted Its just clamped to a table hopefully the heat adjustment function will be enough to control it

I think we can all agree that the setup is dodgy enough to be a legit corretto rig

Comment

Working...
                              X