Black tips on my Behmor Roast - Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black tips on my Behmor Roast - Please help

I recently been getting black tips and dry looking slightly charred roasts lately. See image below which is of the Kona Ka Estate AA Grade 1P P4 C:

Ive been roasting the Malawi and the latest batch was the Kona Ka PNG with similar results. The settings Ive been using are for 350g green beans - 1P P4 C. With the Kona first crack occured at 00:45 remaining with another 60 sec added before cooling.

The batch before that was the Malawi 350g 1P P2 C with 1C at 7:01 remaining and cooled at 3:31.

Im looking for that nice roast of about cs 7/8 but these seem to be about cs 9/10. In the cup they taste ok to my unrefined palate but I just feel that Im missing out on how it could be.

Can anyone offer some advice as to what variable would be the best to change?

Re: Black tips on my Behmor Roast - Please help

Gday Pretzal...

I had to lighten up your image a bit as it was just too dark to identify any detail...

So, which roasting profile applies to the photo, as each profile is quite different :-?

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal,
      The photo is of the Kona KA 1P P4 C Profile. Ill edit the original post to clarify.

Comment

Rightio mate....

From the photo, this batch looks as though it has been pulled just before or on the cusp of 2nd-Crack so are you sure it was 1st-Crack you heard and not 2nd starting up. A roast colour of CS9-10 doesnt tie in with the onset of 1st-Crack +60secs... :-?

The Malawi P2 profile sounds a lot more like a fully roasted batch by comparison. What did this one look like?

Just from my own experience with the Kona Ka, it seems to make for a really interesting (espresso) cup when it is allowed to coast into the early stages of 2nd-Crack and then cooled.... Much more fruity (dried peaches, nectarines), some soft spiciness and loads of cocoa.

How do you drink your coffee Pretzal? If not as an espresso based drink then lighter roasts will possibly be better for a manual brew method but I havent experimented that way as yet....

Mal.

Comment

Thanks for the input Mal.

If Ive missed first crack Id be surprised. Occasionally I hear one isolated ie a single one a few minutes prior to 1C, but dont usually consider it first crack until I get a few consecutive snaps. Is this wrong? Does 1C start with one solitary crack then nothing for a few minutes?

Below is the Malawi Nyika 350g 1P P2 C. 1C was at 7:01 remaining and cooled at 3:24 remaining. Ive been using your method of cracking the door a little with the brush at 1C to stretch the roast. To my eye it doesnt look that different to the Kona. I have lightened this image to make it easier to see the beans

I always have milk with my coffee - lattes is how I like it. The closest I get to espresso is the odd affogato for desert - which often hits the spot perfectly. Occasionally I sip the espresso before I add milk just to expand my palate but it seems an acquired taste.

Comment

Hi again Pretzal...

With regard to timing around 1st-Crack, I only use the Start of Rolling 1st-Crack as a milestone since you can get the odd crackle and pop before then, at indeterminate times which makes it difficult for profile matching.

I agree re: the Malawi, it does look similar to the Kona Ka batch; perhaps slightly more variable in colour. As it happens, I dont use the P2 profile much with larger batch sizes, as I have experienced quite variable outcomes. The main arbiter will be when you get to try them in the cup; the only measure that counts in the end.

If you tend to prefer lighter roasts, perhaps you should give one or more of the manual brew methods a go as (done properly) they will highlight more of the beans intrinsic flavours. Always good to try coffees out with several different brew methods, if possible. It can be very revealing..... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal,
              What profile can you recommend for these 2 types of bean using a 350g batch?

Comment

For the Malawi beans, this one should go close....
                http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?nu...070085/571#565

And for the Kona Ka...
                My most recent batch was set at 1lb, P4, D-240secs, Start+300secs... Rolling 1st-Crack started with 6:40 left on the clock at which time I cracked open the door to its first rest-stop until the Roll had finished (about 90secs) when I closed the door with the brush handle jammed in to stop it closing completely.
                Regular 2nd-Crack snaps started with 20secs to go so I left it as-is until Cooldown started, opened the door, removed the Chaff Catcher to decrease the Cooldown time.

Removed the beans as soon as I could, poured from one container to another in the breeze to winnow out the remaining chaff, then bagged and sealed while the beans were still warm.

This was one of the best PNG roast batches I have ever tasted as an espresso so it definitely worked out OK. Given that we are in different parts of the country and with possibly different supply voltage and ambient conditions, you may have to alter the profile slightly to achieve the same outcome but its definitely worth it... 8-)

All the best,
                Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal,
                  Im not sure what you mean by the D-240, start+300 though can you please elaborate? Are you roasting 350g batches?
                  Pretzal

Comment

pretzal
                    D would have been the profile

Not sure if Mal might be talking about 300secs of preheating, or whether that was his batch size to start with

Im using 1lb / P4 or P5 / D for all my roasts now, then opening the door for a bit of control between fc and sc (Mal put me onto this idea as well)

Comment

Thanks Phrosty,
                      What size batches are you roasting?

Comment

Originally posted by 735E5A565B370 link=1310385520/7#7 date=1310481490
                        1lb, P4, D-240secs, Start+300secs
                        I think this means press 1lb then p4 then d then shorten the time by 240 sec (4 min), press start then add 300 sec .

This changes the power ramping times due to the way the Behmor operates.

If I am wrong.....Mal will correct me....

Comment

Originally posted by 7351465759424F230 link=1310385520/8#8 date=1310656495
                          Thanks Mal,
                          Im not sure what you mean by the D-240, start+300 though can you please elaborate? Are you roasting 350g batches?
                          Pretzal
                          Gday Pretzal...

In the User Manual where it explains about customising roast profiles, you can modify each of the preset profiles by lengthening or shortening the time scale. 350g is my standard size batch by the way...

D-240 represents the removal of 240secs before hitting the Start Button and Start+300 represents adding 300secs after hitting the Start Button. The former has the effect of shortening the entire profile by 240sec whereas the latter lengthens the final third of the profile by 300secs.

Its all explained in the Manual far better than I could do here so have a read and try some experimenting.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Will do Mal. Ive read it at least once but must have blocked that bit out on first reading! Ill give that profile a try in a few days and report back. Just got some nice beans from talk coffee after a recent grinder purchase.

Comment

Hi Mal,
                              didnt think it was possible to add or remove so much time from the profiles - I thought it was limited to about a minute each way, or am I confusing your terms with something else?

pretzal fyi I roast anything between 270 and 300 grams at a time, I foudn with 350g I would sometimes miss sc altogether, or just manage to get fc, its possible that the old rental im in doesnt have the best electrics...

Comment

Working...
                              X