is decaf decaf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is decaf decaf?

hi felllow snobs (not sure if i qualify as snob still have crap sunbeam e machine, planning something but that is another post) just got a breville smart grinder for bday and am looking to roast. ordered the sample pack but then budda bing, my lady is preggers. Dont want to start a debate but her choice and she is already feeling deprived is no c when p) i have had deaf from coffee club that wasnt coffee and decaf from zarafaras that wasnt decaf(i know if its not decaf, i drink 3 cups a day but if its after 2 pm no sleep till 1 am) my q is is the g decaf on beanbay really deaf?

Re: is decaf decaf?

Yes- like all good decaf beans, its swiss water process which removes the majority of the caffeine. Swiss Water claim 99.9% caffeine free. See http://www.swisswater.com/

Id be very surprised if any cafe would substitute caffeinated coffee for decaf. Other than the fact you didnt sleep, what evidence do you have?  :-?

My personal opinion is that one caffeinated coffee per day is fine. If your partner is accustomed to caffeine, its possibly more harmful to simply cease.

Comment

Originally posted by 5F6A67605448646D6D6E6E0B0 link=1313742578/1#1 date=1313743278
      Id be very surprised if any cafe would substitute caffeinated coffee for decaf. Other than the fact you didnt sleep, what evidence do you have? Huh
      no evidence maybe it was all in my head : "this is too good to be decaf" cerntainly dont want to say bad things about the z. Just thought they might decaf as much as they can and still make a decent coffee. thanks for the link, will read up

Comment

I am yet to see anyone pick Decaf Wow as a decaf in the cup.

Comment

My wife is 36 weeks Preggers, and I roast Decaf Wow for her, it is as good in body and texture as regular espresso, and she drinks 2-3 cups a day of it and usually one of my regular caffeinated coffees. No issue at all. In fact, like CJN just said, you would be struggling to tell it was decaf if you didnt know

Comment

the decaf wow is quite good it did not keep me awake.

I have a pregnant friend who is happy with it.

after first crack it seems to progress very quickly so pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by 5D5657665758504B57390 link=1313742578/5#5 date=1314021234
              after first crack it seems to progress very quickly so pay attention.
              no doubt. my first two roasts with it ran right from rolling first crack into second. I know now to turn the heat source to barely on (10% flame) once first crack is in full swing, and then I can roast it for another 5-6 minutes, ending around the 14-16 minute mark.

Comment

thanks for the reassurance guys, will be giving it a go.

Comment

heh, decaf wow is a great drop isnt it..

as for the question though, is decaf decaf? The answer from what Ive read all over the net is no, not really (but almost!), youre looking at about 15 to 20mg of caf per brew apparently, which is what youd see in a cup of green tea perhaps... it isnt much, but if you add that up by having 3 or more cups a day, then youre potentially getting a noticeable small dose of caf. To put the dose in to perspective, a can of coke has around 50mg of caf

Comment

Yeah, the decaf wow is good, so good we bought a second grinder to always have it ready    Similarly, we started trying it when my wife was pregnant, now its so good everyone always asks to come over to our place for coffee after dinner so they can have and enjoy decafs...

I think there must be a small amount of caffeine in it still, nowhere near regular levels.  Perhaps its the placebo effect, but if I have more than a couple of decaf wow coffees in the evening I do find it a little harder to go to sleep.  Those are pretty generously dosed doubles though, so I would guess at caffeine levels about 1/6th-1/10th of regular, i.e. three doubles that are nearly triples = 1 shot of a high caffeine coffee.

Perhaps its not stricly caffeine that does it, but other alkaloids which are less potent, perhaps the 99.9% caffeine free is strictly true but the others still there have a weaker effect.  (like the theobromine from eating lots of dark chocolate or drinking extra strong hot chocolate does... damn you beanbay and single origin cocoas!)

Comment

Working...
                    X