Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KKTO vs Corretto - the real world benefits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KKTO vs Corretto - the real world benefits?

Hi all
    Been loving the last few months of roasting - the Corretto journey has been a lot of fun! Finally starting to get some consistent goodness in the cup :-)
    Just a quick rubber on the road query…
    There seems to been a lot of recent development in the KKTO area, but I havent found much on the real-time benefits of this type of system vs the corretto. From what Ive read here so far the only real benefits mentioned was batch size, although 600g seems to be what most are doing anyway - which is a pretty doable corretto sized batch?
    I wondered if it might be having additional radiant heat over a larger bean area and less blowing from a heat gun? If that is the case, what is the real difference in the cup?
    Not looking to go this way yet - but who knows? Just gathering the facts really… :

Cheers
    Matt

Re: KKTO vs Corretto - the real world benefits?

The main difference between the 2 systems is that the KKTO is WAF friendly  (Wife Approval Factor)

1) Its a cleaner system where the chaff is collected inside the roaster
    2) The KKTOs parts make one working unit on a small footprint

Originally posted by 7756405A545D5A5D54714A705C55555656330 link=1315791142/0#0 date=1315791142
    There seems to been a lot of recent development in the KKTO area, but I havent found much on the real-time benefits of this type of system vs the corretto. From what Ive read here so far the only real benefits mentioned was batch size, although 600g seems to be what most are doing anyway - which is a pretty doable corretto sized batch?
    The batch sises are comparable however if one was to professionally & legally  modify the Turbo oven the batch size can go over 1kg of green beans

Originally posted by 7756405A545D5A5D54714A705C55555656330 link=1315791142/0#0 date=1315791142
    I wondered if it might be having additional radiant heat over a larger bean area and less blowing from a heat gun? If that is the case, what is the real difference in the cup?
    That depends on the roast method one deploys
    However if you want me to send you sample of roasted beans freshly roasted on a KKTO then I would be happy to do so.
    That way you wont be wandering 

Not looking to go this way yet - but who knows? Just gathering the facts really…  Roll Eyes

Cheers
    Matt
    That does not matter as someone else may be at the point of a decision, and the answers on these pages may assist 

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 654148484B4B7165415D43412E0 link=1315791142/1#1 date=1315793372
      The main difference between the 2 systems is that the KKTO is WAF friendly  (Wife Approval Factor)
      A valuable reason to be sure, to be sure!
      There certainly are some neat looking KKTO setups out there. Im fortunate in having a blokes shed out the back to fill with chaff (though it sometimes has to double as my home office : ) so the mess isnt a huge issue.
      But I agree that the single unit / one footprint benefits take some getting past! (see my tangle of leads/tripods/buckets!)

Originally posted by 654148484B4B7165415D43412E0 link=1315791142/1#1 date=1315793372
      However if you want me to send you sample of roasted beans freshly roasted on a KKTO then I would be happy to do so.
      Thanks for the offer - might take you up on that some day! Id like to wring everything I can out of the Corretto first (Ive only got a few months practice on that - a long way from an experienced roaster yet) - that way I can hopefully do justice to a blind tasting comparo

Comment

Corretto…

Comment

Both invented in Queensland

KK

Comment

Yep, have to hand it to the Queenslanders Belinda and KK for their innovations. Good work.

Gary at G

Comment

Seriously? Were they invented in QLD? I thought HGBM and TO roasters were around before and refined somewhat locally, but perhaps not.

Not intending to cast aspersions, maybe its like powered flight where some believe the merkins got there first when it was really Richard Pearse.

Comment

Must be all the long, warm evenings up north! Plenty of comfort & flexibility for R&D.
                Down here its a case of try and hit 2nd before your extremities turns blue a fair slab of the year (we had sleet again on the weekend!). I suppose the upside is its not too hard to stretch out a roast when the ambient is sub-zero!
                But we certainly all appreciate the benefits of northern creativity

Comment

Originally posted by 222A242C2E343428242C470 link=1315791142/6#6 date=1315830828
                  Seriously? Were they invented in QLD? I thought HGBM and TO roasters were around before and refined somewhat locally, but perhaps not.
                  Sorry to pull you up in front of the the forum mate but I think you spelled refound wrong.
                  Lindsay
                  Added later:
                  Just joking Joyce. Please excuse my sense of humour?
                  Would a dedicated history thread on the KKTO under Roasters be a fair thing, what do you think Andy and Moderators?
                  I wasnt roasting or aware of the time of birth of the Corretto and KKTO but I think we can claim both the KKTO and Corretto are inventions?
                  These roasters have certainly brought pleasure to the masses.
                  thanks Belinda and KK.

Lindsay

Comment

Originally posted by 6267606A7D6F777C6F0E0 link=1315791142/8#8 date=1315908406
                    Originally posted by 222A242C2E343428242C470 link=1315791142/6#6 date=1315830828
                    Sorry to pull you up in front of the the forum mate but I think you spelled refound wrong.

Lindsay
                    ??

Comment

Getting back to the original topic....

I was only a short term user of a KKTO as my physical shortcomings proved to be too much of a barrier to continued safe operation. However, have been a long term Corretto owner/user and at the time of the KKTO trial-run, I managed to roast several batches of the same bean/blend in either roaster.

To me (and this is before I insulated and covered the Corretto bread-pan and utilised lower heatgun output temperatures), the batches roasted in the KKTO were definitely sweeter and had more body in the cup. They were also ready to drink much sooner than the Corretto batches.

Since applying the above mod to the Corretto though, batches approach the flavour characteristics of the KKTO but are probably slightly cleaner in the cup and have a wee bit less body. Theres not a lot in it to be honest....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 7277707A6D7F676C7F1E0 link=1315791142/8#8 date=1315908406
                        Would a dedicated history thread on the KKTO under Roasters be a fair thing, what do you think Andy and Moderators?
                        I wasnt roasting or aware of the time of birth of the Corretto and KKTO but I think we can claim both the KKTO and Corretto are inventions?
                        These roasters have certainly brought pleasure to the masses.
                        thanks Belinda and KK.

There are 2 main KKTO threads the first one for the original design goes back to 2008
                        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1228631426/0#0

A KKTO Beta testers thread was started by Mal in 2009
                        This was set up as a sticky or important topic for a period of time when it was in development stage

Now that thread resides in the general roaster section
                        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1261484678/0

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 6845414D402C0 link=1315791142/10#10 date=1316006134
                          To me (and this is before I insulated and covered the Corretto bread-pan and utilised lower heatgun output temperatures), the batches roasted in the KKTO were definitely sweeter and had more body in the cup. They were also ready to drink much sooner than the Corretto batches.
                          Thanks Mal
                          Ive certainly found the cover made a big difference to the consistency of my roasts, and while I havent got a temp adjustable gun, the chimney on the cover allowed me to raise the heat gun high enough to get a good profile while avoiding cold wind gusts carrying away all the heat! It also gets good airflow and vents chaff pretty well.
                          I did try insulating the pan at one stage (with a few wraps of old 100% woollen blanket - hey, wool is not supposed to burn right!) but the stench of wet dog lying next to a heater was not going to be of benefit in the cup! What did you insulate the pan with?
                          Im still working on getting good body into the cup - but thats more my technique I think at this stage… theres always something new to learn!
                          Matt

Comment

I remember sending a sample of KKTO roasted beans to Mal for his expert opinion & taste evaluation
                            Got to find that report he emailed me :

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 7F5E48525C5552555C794278545D5D5E5E3B0 link=1315791142/12#12 date=1316045067
                              What did you insulate the pan with?
                              Gday Matt...

Just went to Bunnings and bought a Fire Blanket (woven fibreglass material). Folded it over itself a few times until it was the right height to wrap around the bread-pan, and then secured in place with a couple of high temp. cable-ties I had stashed away.

The external layer of the fibreglass still gets hot, maybe 70-80deg.C (from accidental touch) but obviously is allowing much more of the thermal energy to remain behind in the pan. It definitely works though; as I can replicate previous roast profiles using Andys Roast Monitor Software, but with the heatgun running at about 75% output just before 1st-Crack, instead of flat-out.

It definitely improves the results in the cup (for me) although I only use it for roasting relo/friend batches these days. At the end of the day, I prefer the results from the Behmor for our own use, here at home.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X