Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Attempts at Roasting. Failure and success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Attempts at Roasting. Failure and success!

My starter pack showed up yesterday. I tried a couple of roasts (wok on the bbq sideburner) yesterday afternoon but they didnt turn out very good. They came out really uneven. The side of the bean with the asscrack (Im a newbie and dont know the correct term  :-[) was burnt but the rounded side was underdone.

A friend suggested using a lid and shaking the beans (I was stirring previously) so I gave it a try this morning. The roast came out much better. Im really looking forward to tasting it.

Attached are some pics of my attempts so far.

This is fun! 

Jordan

Re: First Attempts at Roasting. Failure and success!

Thats still better than my first attempt on a popper.
    I burnt mine.

Am sure someone will come along and provide the correct term for the "asscrack" of the bean so we are all enlightened.

An example of a newbie way of roasting is to get a steel dog bowl, a whisk and heatgun and have a go at that.

Another way is to get a popcorn maker n give the beans a whirl, literally ;D

Let us know how those beans taste.

Gary at G

Comment

Thanks Ill give the heatgun a try. Ive been looking for a popper but havent found any at the local shops. Ill keep looking.

I couldnt wait to taste them so I made up a couple of brews in the aeropress. The first batch is not so nice. It has an ashy aftertaste. But this mornings roast is really nice. Way better than the supermarket beans that I am used to.

BTW beans are the Peru something something Estate.

Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by 1039353A2D2A3F34392A580 link=1315962493/0#0 date=1315962493
        asscrack
        LOL

Looking pretty good there. The improvement between the 2 is huge. Id say the second batch would taste quite nice. If the beans you have are the peru ceja de selva for me they were really great at 2 weeks (if you can wait that long!) as an espresso. The only reason I waited is I had no machine to use them as it was at the repair shop.

Keep going with the roasting - it can be incredibly satisfying and a real art (which I certainly havent even begun to master). Can I also suggest a link to this site, its a visual guide to roasting which might help you accurately achieve the result you are looking for http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.php

Well done though.

Comment

1st-Crack, 2nd-Crack and now Ass-Crack... Where will it end... ;D ;D

For what its worth, Ive seen the crack on the flat side of the bean referred to as the "crease".... Ass-Crack is definitely more descriptive though :P 8-)

Mal.

Comment

I prefer "asscrack". At least us jovial aussies can get away with it here. If its done overseas they may take it the wrong way haha ;D

OT, i like the fact we have the colour rating like C7 or C9, rather than full city, full+ roast, small village, megacity etc.

The Peru needs a weeks rest for the colour profile u provided.

You will also find the aromas more evident after a week too.

gary at G

Comment

Good first effort. Like others, I did nothing on my first go in mu popper but fill the kitchen with smoke. Whod ahve thought roasting beans would produce smoke.

Ive since upgrade to a larger popper and now roast outside, but it is an interesting experience.

Keep at it.

Comment

Thanks for the link Pretzal. Some really helpful info in there.

And thanks for the encouragement guys 

That last batch is all gone! I just couldnt help myself. It was just so good compared to what I usually drink. I just finished roasting another batch so Ill test my patience and see if I can let it sit for a week.

I had another search for that elusive popper but didnt have any luck. Ive tried Big W, Kmart, and Target. But I didnt come home empty handed. I bought an omelete maker and used it for this last roast. It worked a lot better than the wok. The roast is a lot more even. And its much easier on the arm 

This latest batch was 75g of the same Peru beans I used before.

Are there magic time windows that I should be aiming to hit 1st and 2nd crack? Todays roast took quite a long time (~25min) because the Norwesterly was wreaking havoc with the flame. Will this have a negative effect on the beans?

Attached are some more pics.

Jordan

Comment

I got mine from Aldi, Jordan. If they still have them, they work well.

Comment

Originally posted by 37392A3D3F3439253D500 link=1315962493/8#8 date=1316059024
                    I got mine from Aldi, Jordan. If they still have them, they work well.
                    Thanks. We just started shopping at Aldi (only been there 3 times) but I havent seen any popcorn makers yet

Oh well, this little omelette maker should keep me entertained for a while.

Im out of the Peru beans. Might try a different type this evening. I have Vietnam Son La Arabica, Brazil Yellow Bourbon, and Ethiopia Ghimbi. Any recommendations on what I should try next?

Jordan

Comment

Great work Hamburglar, the omelette maker seems to be working well for you, those beans look very good.

If you motorise that omelette maker (ala the baby roaster) you could gain fame and adulation across the coffee community as the inventor of the HAR (Hamburglar "Asscrack" Roaster).

BB

Comment

Asscrack Roaster sounds like something from one of those American chili cook-offs.

I just tried another batch in the little omelette maker. 100g of Vietnam Son La Arabica.

Did I mention I was having fun? ;D

Question- Does it matter that the chaff is in there getting roasted with the beans? Will it ruin the flavour?

Jordan

Comment

Another great couple of roasts the HB... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Re: the chaff...
                          It might (or may not) introduce a slight smoky flavour to the beans but so long as it doesnt catch fire in there, it should be fine. I guess you could drill some small holes around the pans to allow smoke to escape, and help to give you some cues on the progress of the roast.

H.A.R. Love it.... ;D ;D 8-)

Mal.

Comment

asscrack... that left a wide grin on my face for a few minutes tonight

roasts look good and consistent though, never heard of an omlette maker used for coffee but looking good

Comment

Looks like a great result Hamburglar. That little omelette maker seems to do the trick well.

Maybe you could paint the white egg on the handle brown, and draw an ass crack on it. ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X