iCoffee Temperature Monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iCoffee Temperature Monitoring

There was some talk a while back about drilling holes in the glass dome of the iCoffee Roaster to get a probe into the bean mass.
    I decided to purchase one of the "bead thermocouples" from Beanbay and give it a run.
    Whilst the bead thermocouple is noted as being "good for air temp readings" it will at least give a consistent reading and i found it more useful than no indication at all.
    No guarantees on thermocouple life when subject to this treatment.

Re: iCoffee Temperature Monitoring

This is very interesting- I only just noticed. What sort of temp profiles are you getting? Has it taught you anything about how the machine does its thing?

Comment

I was actually planning to do exactly the same thing. Im just waiting on some hardware from the US to turn my Arduino into a data logger so I can map the whole roast.

Fivegallon, did much smoke / heat escape through the small gap the thermocouple cable creates at the lid?

Jack, do you have spare glass lids for the I-Coffee if so how much are they and if not can you get them?

Comment

Its made quite a difference to my roasting. I noticed with the different beans they are all hitting first crack within about one degree, and second crack varies quite a bit.
        There was absolutely no smoke/heat escaping.
        Makes quite a difference from the visual only routine.
        Need to get some more roasts through to see some profiling.

Comment

is the tip of the probe just hanging into the beans? No fear that it will wrap around the agitator?

Comment

It was a bit fiddly getting it set and it does move around a bit. Several times it was bouncing off the agitator but at no time did it ever look like wrapping around. The lid clamps it down and the amount you have inside is controllable to avoid that.
            Yes the tip is just hanging in the beans

Comment

Hey! Great experimenting - looking forward to hearing your results. Im sure that a lot more of us will try this in time, well done on being the first

Comment

OK, being a born experimenter, heres my go!

I have drilled a 3.5mm hole at 45 degrees (after checking that there were no electrical components inside!) which has allowed me to insert the thermocouple right into the bean mass with as little impact as possible. The black sheath in the photo is just a coupling that i had lying around which prevents the probe being inserted too far. I reality, the probe gets gently pushed back out by a few mm during the roast.

First experiments show a roast profile that looks like, er, every other roast profile I have seen ;D

Included are a couple of profiles, the second a little truncated due to my no quite knowing how the software works. Im not going to cast any judgement yet, I think that there is a lot of playing to be done to understand the s/w etc.

Comment

Nice work Jaybee! You will see that it adds another dimension to a great little roaster

Comment

Thanks 5G, I think there will be a whole lot of roasting today to get a good feel for whats going on!

Comment

interesting stuff JayBee 8-)

looking forward to seeing more profiles

Comment

150g Vietnam Son La Arabica done on an automatic setting of 4.

Always wondered how an auto setting would turn out. Im sticking to manual ;D

Comment

150g Tanzania Uru Estate. A chaff monster if ever there was one!

Comment

JayBees mod got me inspired to go from my first step with the "bead probe", to the full "temp probe" installation.
                            Heres the initial pics without any probe savers. Will dig something up later for that.
                            As mentioned before, adding temp readings to this roaster certainly takes a lot of the guesswork out of things.
                            Cheers JayBee

Comment

So the, whats the advantage?

Given that you cant change the temp, is the only advantage knowing the temp that the beans "cracked" in case you didnt hear them?

Comment

Working...
                              X