Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yemen Mocha Haimi

Hi
    I recently purchased some of these green beans and was about to start roasting. I am using a Behmor roaster and to my surprise found a lot of the beans/pieces fell through the wire roasting cylinder. I must admist I was surprised given the cost of these beans. Thought they may have been graded better but nevertheless does anyone have any ideas how to overcome this....short of getting a different roaster. Is this normal for these beans? Appreciate any help/advice. >

Re: Yemen Mocha Haimi

Originally posted by 0D21213E2B3C3D4E0 link=1320038115/0#0 date=1320038115
    does anyone have any ideas how to overcome this....short of getting a different roaster.
    Yemen beans are frequently pretty small Coopers.

If you think about it they have a pretty tough life and dont get too much water either. :-?

I have zero experience with a Behmor, but I would think a smaller mesh around the drum might help for this batch?

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris
      I had contemplated that idea but I am unsure what it would do to the roast, ie air/heat flow around the beans.

Comment

Why not send Andy a quick email message Coopers (not PM), Im sure if anyone knows how to deal with this, Andy will....

Mal.

Comment

Plenty of info aorund on this issue, heres some good advice for dealing with it

Originally posted by 5E4B5E435F562C0 link=1294805003/8#8 date=1295206587
          Here is a trick for dealing with small beans in the Behmor. Run the cooling cycle for 2-3 minutes, and allow the really small stuff to fall out. Then I dump those in the trash.

Comment

Dont follow Trentskis instructions regarding the trash, please post me the ones you cant use. Id be very sad to hear that Yemen is being wasted.

Comment

i run the cooling cycle for about 5mins and roast the droppings in a fry pan

Comment

Hi Coopers

I am wondering about these beans also. I am a newbie so may have unrealistic expectations.

Just purchased a bag and have given them a go in a popper. Quite excited from all the talk about the "yemen" beans but expectations, at first look, are a little low.

Beans are quite small (nothing wrong with being small..I am told) but lots of broken beans. Fragments launching from the popper had me worried I could lose a lot of this precious stuff.

I actually was nervous trying to roast as they did not seem to behave like my main bag of Ethiopian Gambella (a well behaved bean, for me) and cost a little more.

In the end I did two smal roasts at 6:29 and 8:10 not sure when to stop. My Gambella I like to stop after I hear a few beans going to second crack. (very happy with....but dont know much else) Will try to post the roasts if I can figure out how (seems like only one pic at a time..better read instructions)

WARNING - Dont let your grinder see this  !!!
                Fortunately spotted a little bit of Yemen as I was tossing the beans after the roast. (check the attached pic)  A reminder to check what goes into the grinder !!

freshbean

PS: Thanks to all the crazy people out there dreaming up ways to cook a bean to perfection. It is true, I cant go back to buying browns thanks to you lot . I am hooked !!

Comment

Gday "fb"...

I dont know that you can get the best from Yemeni beans with an unmodified Popper unfortunately. Until I modified mine (years ago) my roasts tended to be very hit and miss too.

After modifying though, it was possible to maintain more control over each roast batch and it then became possible to tailor a profile to suit Yemen (Ismaili) batches. Discovered that for me, the best results in the cup were obtained by allowing them to gently coast into 2nd-Crack, then dump (& cool) before the Roll started.

They can take a while to fully develop their flavours though, often more than a week but its best to discover this for yourself by trying every day - Were all different.

On a slightly different note, with my Corretto Roaster, until I covered and insulated the bread-pan I was never able to replicate the quality of Yemen roasts that I achieved with the Popper, so it is possible to get great results from your Popper, with some quite simple mods. Lots of info about this around the traps...

Mal.

Comment

Hi Yemen bean lovers,
                    Andy did mention these might not suit all roasters, even nominated the types including the Hottop.

Notwithstanding, they are magic if roasted around 11 minutes to firstcrack (around 220 grms) and finished with a 4 minute roast development phase....for me, finishing around 218c (bean temp) does the trick however they are also delightful taken into rolling second crack....again over 4 minutes.

They seem to drink nicely from about 5 days getting sweeter up till about 9 days, then less so ( if any left)

I dont mind digging a few out of the Hottop drum after each roast and am ordering more.
                    Havnt encountered any stones .

Best of luck with this beauty.

JL

Comment

Originally posted by 4D6B7C5D71706A6C7F7D6A716C1E0 link=1320038115/5#5 date=1320052340
                      Dont follow Trentskis instructions regarding the trash,
                      wasnt my advice

Comment

Had the same problem with the Sanani. I sorted my whole batch by putting beans in the drum and shaking thoroughly. Losses were probably only 2-3%, though I still lose a few beans in the roast. I gave the small shards to a friend who uses a Corretto.

Despite my careful sorting I had a stone make it through to my (one month-old!) grinder. I was pretty unimpressed, but I dont think there was any significant damage.

I still havent managed a particularly good espresso roast with these beans, but Ive been very happy with light roasts for filter.

Comment

Having heared great things about Yeman coffee I had high expectations of this bean. I am using a GeneCafe roaster to be honest found the results disapointing. I roasted this through to start of 2nd crack and I found that the result was an intense fruitiness that I hoped might mellow out if I rested the beans for a couple of weeks but to no avail. I think next time I will let the roast run into 2C or just past it and see if that improves the result. If any one has some tips let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by 4E5D58455F5E2A0 link=1320038115/12#12 date=1321583303
                            Having heared great things about Yeman coffee I had high expectations of this bean. I am using a GeneCafe roaster  to be honest found the results disapointing. I roasted this through to start of 2nd crack and I found that the result was an intense fruitiness that I hoped might mellow out if I rested the beans for a couple of weeks but to no avail. I think next time I will let the roast run into 2C or just past it and see if that improves the result. If any one has some tips let me know.
                            Gday Dave,

That sounds pretty typical for this one to me and its why I love them.

Yemens certainly are unique with massive body, big fruit and super YUM. If I had to choose just one origin- easy...

Id thnk that CSer may be able to assist with some suggestions if you can provide some information on your roast profile. Perhaps try about 228 deg and then ease off after 1st for a total around 17-18 min. Look for 5 min between 1st and 2nd and take your roast a touch further. Let us know how you go.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                            X