Homemaker popcorn maker mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemaker popcorn maker mod

Ive managed to extend roast time by drilling through the case and cover. Ive cut a piece of metal to cover the chute so beans dont fall out.

My technique now is: Physically agitate roaster for first minute. Getting start of first crack at 3 mins. This roast was finished at 6min 15 secs but I probably could of taken it a bit further.

Re: Homemaker popcorn maker mod

I think fitting a chimney will make things easier, there is plenty of info on these around here.

You might also try jiggling until first crack, that should extend your roast considerably and you can experiment with batch size as well. I used to roast 120g each time with the same popper, but definately had to jiggle the popper and keep it on a slight angle.

Mark

Comment

Newbiemocca,

As you will see at this and other sites, there are many ways to modify a popper with great results.

Your popper looks very new, there are no coffee stains in the bowl yet. I too used the plastic top for a while until it melted. I then made a chimney from an Alaska salmon tin which is a perfect fit.

I am more of a stirrer than a jiggler.

Barry,

Comment

Im a stirrer and tilter and agree - a chimney is a great help. Mine is a hurricane lantern glass - fits perfectly and lets me see whats happening.

Comment

Originally posted by 22011212193F24150E03010E600 link=1321435423/2#2 date=1321567213
          Originally posted by 300514055359600 link=1321435423/3#3 date=1321574514
          Im a stirrer and tilter
          You stirrers might have the numbers now, but I can see a revolution of jigglers happening soon, very soon.

Join me, jigglerrrrs!

Comment

Originally posted by 617869690C0 link=1321435423/4#4 date=1321585830
            Originally posted by 22011212193F24150E03010E600 link=1321435423/2#2 date=1321567213
            Im a stirrer and tilter
            You stirrers might have the numbers now, but I can see a revolution of jigglers happening soon,  very soon.

Join me, jigglerrrrs!
            Maybe when Im older ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 38213030550 link=1321435423/4#4 date=1321585830
              Im a stirrer and tilter
              You stirrers might have the numbers now, but I can see a revolution of jigglers happening soon,  very soon.

Join me, jigglerrrrs!
              ;D I start with the jiggle and move on to the stir when it start heating up...

Comment

Just curious what is everyones running tally of number of roasts with this particular model and how many did it take before it died?? On mine it says should not be run for more than 4mins. hehe Im flogging mine way past that.

Not that kmart will accept a refund or exchange in its current drilled state!! I wont be too upset when it dies it is only $12.

Comment

dont be too worried about the no more than 4 mins, thats more a warning about setting the popcorn on fire

Comment

Thanks to your posts, my popper is no longer eligible for a warranty  its holier than the Pope. ;D
                    The result is an extra 30 seconds before 1st crack (3:00min) and then an extra minute before 2nd crack begins at 5:00min.
                    I am dumping @10 seconds into 2nd crack and cooling on a metal seive, then onto a perforated aluminium tray.  Beans are room temp in 3 or 4 minutes.

Prior to mod, when I went over 5 min the beans would be oily, now theyre not.  3 days to see how they taste.

Comment

Hi All. How many grams are you roasting with this popper? I see 120g was mentioned in the 2nd post?

I was following instructions for another popper, used 80g but it roasted way too fast, 3m45s and it was dark and oily flying through first and onto 2nd crack without pause.

I also need to get the drill out and go to work on the unit as well.

Cheers

Comment

Ive always used 100 grams, from the start with the unmodded popper to my now very modified popper

Before it was modified I was getting up to 6 minute roasts.

Comment

Ive found 110 grams to suit my set-up.

Comment

still way too hot! these poppers are 1200W

only one way to slow them down
                            Attached Files

Comment

daytime photo, looks pretty rough but does the job much better now.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X