Target $16 popcorn maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target $16 popcorn maker

Found this on special at target $16. Seems to have much better design than the homemaker one with alot more ventilation holes. This one is 900w compared with the 1200w homemaker. Seems to run less hot than the homemaker. Im getting first crack just under 5mins straight out of the box and second crack at 8 mins.

Having got both I think this one seems to perform better. I dont think I will need to drill this one. Anyone using this roaster as well?

Re: Target $16 popcorn maker

Looks like a good find! Might even pick up one myself The lower power seems beneficial…

Matt

Comment

Thats great thanks for the notice, i just brought two of the homemaker ones yesterday and they seem to roast the beans too quickly no matter how cool the outside temp is or how many holes i drill in the side of the popper.

Does it sound right that im struggling to reach an overall time of 4 mins and there not being anytime between first and second crack?

Anyway, straight down to target tonight!!!

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 4E424B4B48484E455F445E2D0 link=1323939282/2#2 date=1323979399
        Does it sound right that im struggling to reach an overall time of 4 mins and there not being anytime between first and second crack?
        Yes, it does sound right. I was using a Breville Crazy Popper for a time (1250W, I believe the homemaker one uses the same power) and I was getting the results you describe.

In the end I had removed all the plastic around the roasting chamber except the base plate, aimed a fan directly at the roasting chamber for the whole roast and was getting somewhere in the vicinity of 8 mins for second crack.

A lower power can only mean good things for roast times. Sounds like a good deal. 

Comment

Originally posted by 717D74747777717A607B61120 link=1323939282/2#2 date=1323979399
          they seem to roast the beans too quickly no matter how cool the outside temp is or how many holes i drill in the side of the popper.
          Originally posted by 7366707B737E7779120 link=1323939282/3#3 date=1323992158
          In the end I had removed all the plastic around the roasting chamber except the base plate, aimed a fan directly at the roasting chamber for the whole roast and was getting somewhere in the vicinity of 8 mins for second crack.
          I did the same but could get SC around 12 to 15 minutes.

Comment

Try a batch size of about 120g, angle and jiggle the popper until 1st crack. This will keep the beans tumbling and slow things down. Sit it on an angle until 2nd crack if needed.

Youll definitely need a chimney to do this.

Comment

I got one of these as a birthday present so I can roast my own; waiting for my starter pack to arrive to try it out!

I have put a few roasted beans in just to play around, and I think the unit shows promise!

Definitely more airholes underneath than any of the other units (off the shelf) Ive seen in pics here.

Would be keen to hear the results of your roasts.

Comment

Just bought one of the Target poppers a couple of days ago to try roasting for the first time. It seems to work really well (although the beans I roasted yesterday still need a bit more resting time).
                So far Ive done 600g in 6 x 100g batches. As I said, its my first time roasting so everything I know has been gleaned from CS. But with a bit of angling and shaking Im getting first crack at around 7min and then after about 10min I just leave it alone as the beans are circulating nicely by then and at about 19-21min Ive been turning if off and cooling.
                The case doesnt seem to get too hot and with 100g roasts I dont think it even needs a chimney. I leave the yellow top on but not the lid (although between 11-16min in I sometimes left it on).
                Between roasts I have always left it to cool for 10min and I havent done more than two roasts in a row (e.g. I did two this morning and then two just now).
                So Im hoping it lasts OK because it seems to produce a good result (for a $16 popper).
                Simon.

Comment

Ive done three roasts on mine now. One with Ethiopian Ghimbi and two with Peru Ceja de Selva. I agree with the comments about the chimney. Doesnt seem needed.

The first two batched were 60g, both lids off, and I didnt really get much of a crack from the Ethiopian, took it off after 12.5 mins or so, looking a bit under roasted (quite an uneven bean size distribution with this one). Getting very little "roasted coffee" smell, and no smoke (smells a lot like the green beans). Had some today (day 3) and its drinkable, but not a very developed flavour.

Second batch was some of the Peru, which I hand sorted for even sized beans. 60g again, the lid on this time for most of it, and finished up around 12.5 with first crack about 7min.

Roasted some more of the Peru last night, 80g, with first crack at 5.5mins and second about 12. Looks like a better roast this time, and it was smoking when I took it off (first batch that has).

I suspect that the extra 20g of coffee has slowed the airflow through the popper/beans and thus has increased the temperature of the air getting to the beans, thus the faster roast.

Ill do some video next time.

Comment

i too brought one on the weekend and have now done several roast with different beans. I agree with the two past posts that you dont need a chimney and i also leave the see through yellow part on during the roast.

I dont know if you guys read somewhere about this, but i read it seems the more beans you put it the quicker the roast will go. I brought a 2.5kg of the india la honey. roasted it monday night tried it today. Very nice...

Waiting a few days, has made me wonder why we have to leave them for 24-48 hours? what are the real reasons?

Comment

Has anyone found that 100g is too much with this roaster? First crack at around 5mins finishing at 9mins-10mins getting about 5% underroasted beans some quite green with the rest perfect.

Maybe Im just use to the hot homemaker with everything burnt to a crisp by that stage. Will try with 80g batches next time.

Comment

i tried a 100g of beans and yes it was too much. i dont go over 75g, i have found this amount to be pretty effective. My roasts except for one that went to 12 mins have only gone to 1 little under 10 mins. The ones that were under 10 mins have turned out pretty good by my standards.

What beans were you and are you roasting newbiemocca?

Comment

Ill have to see how it goes with 75g. With 100g I jiggle the machine almost constantly for the first 4min so that the beans are circulating. If you want the air flow alone to rotate the beans then 100g is probably too much. Also, by jiggling it a lot it seems to slow the time to first crack.
                          Ive been using Columbian beans and also an extension cord to roast outside. I forgot to mention before Im getting second crack at around 18-21min. Ive been stopping just as second crack begins. Anyone else taking this long in this popper?
                          It seems mine has plenty of power to get to first crack but then just enough for a slow build to second.

Comment

i have done various types of beans, some crack at nine mins. The ones that went over didnt crack at al; and i beacame scared and took them out. I tasted those ones last night and they turned out ok. From what people say on here about colour it appeared to be about a c9-10??

How have your Columbians ones gone? have you been able to taste them yet?

Ps not that it is safe but if you add a few extention cords together, it should bring down the wattage a little, if thats what you were inplying..

Comment

Originally posted by 787963797D7F7E100 link=1323939282/12#12 date=1324580147
                              Anyone else taking this long in this popper?
                              Just like grinder settings, no two poppers are identical.
                              They may be pretty similar but because they are built cheap you will get variations; occasionally big variations.

Originally posted by 737F767675757378627963100 link=1323939282/13#13 date=1324592840
                              Ps not that it is safe but if you add a few extention cords together, it should bring down the wattage a little, if thats what you were inplying..
                              I think this has been proven to be a myth unless you are in an extremely remote area where the power supply is not up to the same standard as any capital city.
                              (I have a 30m extension that makes no difference to my popper)

Comment

Working...
                              X