Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An interesting pre-roast blend observation…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting pre-roast blend observation…

Hi all
    Just something interesting Ive noted the last couple of roasts…
    Ive had some disasters in the past with getting a consistent, even pre-blend roast (eg the KJM house blend) - ending up with a mix of light and black varieties on occasion :-/
    But Ive recently ramped up my input temp before 1C (bringing 12-13 mins to 1C down to 10mins in the process) and Im getting a much more even roast - I now cant pick the varieties visually.
    The other interesting thing with this faster ramp has been that the temp for 2C has been extended. Now 2C is coming on at a higher 224-225 - 2-3 degrees higher than my traditional drop point, but also with a lighter overall colour than before too.
    And great in the cup and off the grinder!

Not world changing by any means - but very interesting nonetheless… hmmmmmmm

Happy roasting!
    Matt

Re: An interesting pre-roast blend observation…

Hmmm - the "KJM Blend" is usually 10 or so (depends on how cold it is!) minutes. Ive always been surprised at how even it is. I might have a go at extending it to see if I get spotty results..

Id love to know how it is that the roast of such a diverse mix can end up so even. Very interesting data point there Matt. Youve re-piqued my interest in sorting out what is going on!

/Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 6B6A6D200 link=1327970262/1#1 date=1328000685
      Id love to know how it is that the roast of such a diverse mix can end up so even.
      Yeah - I was surprised too! Id almost resigned myself to SOs after the first few salt & pepper blends I did - but the faster climb seems to do wonders.
      Last night I did a blend of Brazil, Columbian, PNG & Uru - and even the soft & small Uru was pretty consistent in colour depth to the others - and that was always my Achilles heel before. So - in happy land now! Blended roasting here we come!
      Matt

Comment

I like to tinker when I blend, so I will roast the coffees individually, and blend on a shot-by-shot basis. I also think that if youre going to bring any funky coffees, such as robusta into the mix, you should definitely try a shot of each ingredient.

Comment

Originally posted by 5B797070737355797070160 link=1327970262/3#3 date=1330939829
          I like to tinker when I blend, so I will roast the coffees individually, and blend on a shot-by-shot basis. I also think that if youre going to bring any funky coffees, such as  robusta into the mix, you should definitely try a shot of each ingredient.
          Quite agree. It is the only way to do it. BUT once youve nailed the thing - co-roasting gives an interesting flavour twist. And its just easier ;D

/Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 634148484B4B6D4148482E0 link=1327970262/3#3 date=1330939829
            so I will roast the coffees individually, and blend on a shot-by-shot basis.
            Hi MC
            I must admit, Id really like to potter a bit more with post-roast blending of SOs, but with a corretto that has a minimum batch of about 350g (a weeks worth for us), doing 4-5 SOs would be counter-productive - Id be blending stale beans for months (and a full day of roasting would no doubt destroy my marriage!)
            Maybe a modded popper needs to be on the cards… ;D

But now Ive got my profile consistent much more consistent & in-the-zone with this technique, the flavours keep getting better and better
            Matt

Comment

Working...
            X