Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good beans for a popper?

hi all

I have been roasting with a popper for a while now and get good results. The biggest variable is the ambient temperature - in summer the roasts are very fast, in winter they are a bit slow and sometime struggle to get to second crcak.

What I wanted to know is whether there are any beans on Green Bay that need more, or less heat, than others, so that I can tailor what I buy.

Trial and error is a good thing, but at 120 grams per roast it takes me a while to get through a bag...

Re: Good beans for a popper?

Have you thought of trial and error at a smaller batch like 70g? Also have you tried beans that have not reached close to second crack?

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 030F060605050308120913600 link=1331900396/1#1 date=1331944436
      Also have you tried beans that have not reached close to second crack?

Cheers

Chris
      This is what i will be doing come the cooler months, i am thinking of it as seasonal variation in my coffee ;D

Comment

I think i know what your saying... In the hotter months its hard not to reach second crack and the cooler months should make things a little more controlled

I like the term too, a seasonal variation ;D

Comment

I have tried smaller and larger batches and to be honest it does not seem to make much difference.

As mentioned I could do trial and error with different beans but wanted to take a short cut if I could - I noticed commentary on Green Bay that said some beans need more heat to roast them (so good for summer) and others that roast easily (so good for winter) so I was wondering if anyone had experience.

Comment

If it helps. The Sulawesi Blue benefits from a shorter, hotter roast. That bean bakes easily on the longer roast profiles. It has a heavy body with spice overtones that makes it a nice bean on its own or in a blend. Not a lot of fruity characters to lose if it slips into 2C.

Comment

I havent found any beans to not suit the popper but then my popper is a little special

Seriously though even way back when I started I was using all types of beans I could get my hands on. I actually found that when I got more control of the beans my roasts were worse LOL until I figured out where I was going wrong and have great roast results again.

Comment

Originally posted by 79767B687B7C76751A0 link=1331900396/5#5 date=1332374891
                If it helps. The Sulawesi Blue benefits from a shorter, hotter roast. That bean bakes easily on the longer roast profiles. It has a heavy body with spice overtones that makes it a nice bean on its own or in a blend. Not a lot of fruity characters to lose if it slips into 2C.
                Thanks...exactly what I was looking for

Comment

Working...
                X