my first crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first crack

folks, just received my Behmor 1600, burnt it in, added 300gram of peru, set it for 1 P4 C. With 8.30 remaining on the clock a rolling first crack occurred for 1.30 minutes, opened the door and smoke came pouring out, hit the cool button as the beans were dark and gleaming. Now not sure what happened as i expected a second crack but wasnt game enough to continue. ur thoughts appreciated.

Re: my first crack

Its always hard to tell whats really going on because we have no idea of how truly the image represents what you are seeing, but judging from what I can see of the card, you have gone wayyyyy past 2nd crack!

Those beans look like good fertiliser and time to try again, either more beans or different profile.

Comment

Hi lumenary

Why did you use P4? They do look very black and shiny but perhaps not as bad as they could be (i.e. charcoal black).

Let them rest and try them in about 4 days time.

Id suggest you use the P2C setting and maybe increase the bean size to 330g.

Dom

Comment

that looks like its gone way past R2C imo

either that or very bad lighting lol

Comment

clear something went wrong, will try something else this arvo, as for the pic, my image host was down and couldnt improve the pic at all, will try other settings on the camera as well

Comment

Im guessing you might have hit rolling second crack at -8.30. I did something very similar on my first roast (not on a Behmor). Is there oil developing on the beans?

Comment

Barry, yes thats oil ur seeing...

Comment

Oh well, I tried using mine as a Possum deterent....didnt work. I did try one cup of mine (using my Hario hand grinder....easier to clean). Wasnt undrinkable but I didnt chase my losses....

Comment

yeah that amount of oil would only be there once a roast goes too far

try shortening roast time to see how it goes
                  dont worry about wasting beans

the 2kg given is meant for that purpose. keep going at it and you will eventually get it

Comment

folks, went for it again, 330gram, 1P2C, never heard 1C, at the beginning of R2C i hit the cooler

Comment

hmm
                      that looks more like start of rolling first crack to me
                      IMHO
                      do you have the timing of when it hit R2C? and would you have a temp logger by any chance?

Comment

Agreed, one extreme to the other! That be round 1st crack.

Comment

never heard 1C, at the beginning of R2C i hit the cooler

I think that was 1C you heard, what time was on the display when you hit cool?

Comment

ok folks am getting the drift of things, set up another 300g on 1P2C. at 13.50 left the turbo kicked in for a minute.1st crack started at 11.20 to go till 10.00 to go. 2C kicked in immediately. hit the cooler and all ended pretty well, now to try and upload an image...

Comment

grats lumenary

that looks like a mighty fine roast
                              looks about first snaps of 2C
                              id say a CS9/10

youre getting the hang of things
                              when i first started i had trouble recognising the difference of 1C and 2C, but after quite a few roasts youll get the hang of things

I do find having a temp probe helps me judge when to anticipate 1C and 2C too

Comment

Working...
                              X