Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green bean - shelf life

hello
    I am new to coffee roasting and interested to know how long I can keep green beans before roasting and what is the best way to store green beans.
    I plan to do just small batch roasting at home for personal use.

Re: Green bean - shelf life

Welcome
    Depends on how you store it. Stored in the right condition some could last up 3 years or more. They will still lose some quality over that period. Humidity and temperature variation are the biggest enemies so they will be ideally stored in an environment which is of optimum humidity (I think it was about 60% at around a steady 20oC. Some use wine fridges to achieve this.
    I have stockpiled and now finding some beans that I bought in 2010 have lost nearly all their flavour. A humid summer in Sydney seems to have had an effect as I was consuming 2009 beans last year that werent nearly as flat.

Comment

My first batch of green beans was inadvertently stored in various and unkind conditions.  I had trouble with initial roasts and gave up for a 3 or 4 years before coming to my senses, and did not have the knowledge of correct storage requirements etc.

After this time they still tasted very nice.  Maybe not as good as I roast now, but I was still very impressed with the flavour, so in my experience the storage conditions have fortunately been quite forgiving. 

I realise this hasnt really answered your questions, but they should still be ok even if you dont have the perfect storage environment.

Cheers

Comment

I keep about about 12 months supply of green beans (approx 40kg) in a metal filing cabinet in my shed (dry cool conditions) and rotate my stock, oldest used first, so Im always roasting beans about 12 months old, freshness is not a problem for me at 12 months, cant comment past that point, and quite honestly why would you amass more than 12months supply anyway? :-?
        PS: my storage cupboard is also vermin proof, we live in a grain growing area so mice are always about, I suspect mice would create mayhem in a stash of green beans. :

Comment

This thread prompted me to do a check on my green stocks...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44864719@N02/7147201699/in/photostream

I reckon im good for a bit 8-)

Comment

Cant see your pic.....

"You must be signed in to see this content."

Comment

try this:
              http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7037/7147201699_caa7ca58cc.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 616E716260666B6B6869070 link=1336173704/6#6 date=1336304521
                try this
                ;D ;D ;D
                Would but WAF would be :-/ :-/ :-/ um zero

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 6768776466606D6D6E6F010 link=1336173704/6#6 date=1336304521
                  try this:
                  What would actually be impressive would be a massive stack of empty CS bags. To me, having so many full bags of green beans just seems like a waste, or indicative of the fact that your not roasting enough...

Comment

Originally posted by 080A0E0709071E0E7A4B0 link=1336173704/8#8 date=1336388881
                    Originally posted by 6768776466606D6D6E6F010 link=1336173704/6#6 date=1336304521
                    try this:
                    What would actually be impressive would be a massive stack of empty CS bags.  To me, having so many full bags of green beans just seems like a waste, or indicative of the fact that your not roasting enough...
                    or i couldnt be arsed pulling out all the empty bags

assumptions are the mother of all... u know what

p.s. both my Hottop and iCoffee roasters get a workout every week

Comment

I bought 10kgs, I hope my beans dont go off before I drink it all. Should last me about a year. I will probably be sick of the beans before I finish them... Wish I could buy in smaller quantities. 2.5kgs is a 3 month supply... :

Comment

Originally posted by 6B64697A696E6467080 link=1336173704/10#10 date=1336473625
                        Wish I could buy in smaller quantities. 2.5kgs is a 3 month supply...
                        Remember you lose 20% in weight after roast, so your 10kg is more like 8kg of roasted beans. I dont think there is any risk of your grean beans going off before you drink it all given a 3 year shelf life. I doubt 8kg of roasted beans would last you 3 years. When family and friends come over, you find your beans starts to deplete rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by 30222C3A26430 link=1336173704/11#11 date=1336498185
                          3 year shelf life
                          I know there is all sorts of information and statements about green beans lasting three years, on this site. I would be hesitant to state this without extensive analysis. Green beans do deteriorate over time and lose moisture.
                          I am finding beans that I purchased in late 2009/2010 becoming rather bland. I would say that stockpiling is totally unnecessary, and to aim for only 6-12 months of "stock" at any time. Besides that, your palate will change and develop over time. You may find that what you enjoy now, may become boring in the future. The variety of beans on the market make the coffee journey so fascinating.

Comment

I agree with Bosco Lever, After 2 months of drinking the same 4 beans Im kind of over them. Its not that they dont taste good anymore, its just that Im looking for a different flavour profile. Ive blended them into every conceivable combination but theres only a couple of blends that work well.

1kg of the same bean is about my limit before I get bored. Thats still a month of the same bean over and over, or several months if Im switching beans daily or blending.

I started out liking chocolate notes, now Im onto orange and citrus zest and winey notes. Variety is what makes life interesting and having a huge stockpile of beans I no longer enjoy would just be a waste.  :-? I also want to sample beans from all corners of the earth and having a 6 month supply of mocha java beans gets in the way of that.

Comment

Originally posted by 6D626F7C6F6862610E0 link=1336173704/13#13 date=1336521910
                              I agree with Bosco Lever, After 2 months of drinking the same 4 beans Im kind of over them. Its not that they dont taste good anymore, its just that Im looking for a different flavour profile.
                              If you are bored of the taste already, have you tried roasting to different roast profiles for each?
                              I cycle between 8 different beans. I am definitely not bored yet. I only buy 1kg of one at a time and only 2 or 3 kg of the ones that I know is a staple like Columbia, India and Indonesia for me. I also roast for my friends and families on occasions in 500gm batches which helps me cycle my stash. (Makes a good gift).

Ethiopian
                              Kenyan
                              Peru
                              Brazil
                              Columbia
                              India
                              Indonesia (Arabica)
                              Indonesia (Robusta) - ok as a pour over or as a vietnamese drip.
                              PNG

I have about 15kg in the pantry and thats dwindling pretty fast. definitely no where near lasting me 3 years (3 months if Im lucky) so all this fear of reaching 3 years when only 10kg I think there is no fear. Also 3 years is only a guideline same as 3 weeks and 3 minutes but it is a good indication and always depends on how you store it.

Comment

Working...
                              X