popper in cold weather....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popper in cold weather....

Hi all, i am new to roasting but am already addicted. I have had good results with my popper, but now the weather has turned cold, the roasts are taking way to long. I have no garage or shed, so i am on the back porch with a cold wind blowing!!! i tried putting the popper in a cardboard box, but it only improved things a bit. Today the outside temp is about 14c with a cold southerly blowing. Having just finished the grocery shopping, my Aldi cold stuffs bag was sitting there and i thought i would try using that to shield the popper. The aldi bag i have, has a silver insulating liner..not the plastic type that is on some cold bags. I put the popper in and held the top zipper bit up to shield the wind. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Very nice roast !!!! I think the silver stuff reflects back the heat. After most of the charf was gone, i let the bag lid sit lightly across the top to keep the heat in, and then opened it again after first crack....crude temp control.
    cheers

Re: popper in cold weather....

hi leatheroo, you wouldnt be in Melbourne would you? I have the same problem re my behmor, its cold and wet and I have no shelter outside and my roasted stash is falling to dangerously low levels!

Comment

very close...Geelong!!!

Comment

If you want better roasting weather I think you should move further away from the Antarctic.

Currently, you in Melbourne are getting temps of from a chilly 7 – 14 deg. while in Sydney we are getting a more comfortable 10 – 20 deg.

I do know what cold weather can be like. I lived for a while at Bombala, between Cooma and the Victorian border, where you usually get three good snowfalls each year. I didn’t roast coffee there.

I have also weathered a few blizzards while skiing at Falls Creek.

I have just poppered some Yirgacheffe and will have a taste.

Great. I nearly allways taste a sample soon after roasting.

Barry

Comment

It was perfect roasting weather for us today...My popper is a tad bigger though! ;D

Comment

Well below freezing the last few nights here. Nice bean cooling weather (I roast in the kitchen....not with a popper).

Comment

Woo-hoo, managed to roast 300g of Colombia Santa Rita La Chapperal today. The sky kept looking threatening but the rain held off.

Now to rest and wait...

Comment

Working...
              X