Best green bean for first roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best green bean for first roast

The subject says it all really. What beans would you recommend for a first roast. Would larger beans make it any easier? Are some beans more resistant to poor first time noobs? Ive just bought a whirley pop popcorn maker from amazon and am about to buy some beans.

Re: Best green bean for first roast

Id be looking Andys started pack, thats what got most of us started. Andy will select 4 x 500g beans and send them off to you for $37 (?, I think). Gives you quite a lot to play around with and see what you like. Alternatively, in Andys beanbay descriptions, it will often say something like "this is an easy bean to roast".

Hope this helps,
    David

Comment

Welcome Straightaways,
      I havent been home roasting for that long, but I find that pretty much every South American bean presently on Beanbay is pretty easy to roast (Brazil/Peru/Columbian...and yeh I think they came in my particular starters pack too). I dont think too many of them require particular skills to do a decent (rather than superb) job, but you just might waste roast getting it right for some. I was fortunate to go just a little too far on the first roast I completed (beans dark and oily)...this made it easy to back off the time a little on the second attempt. I find it a little harder to make the adjustment if I under-roast a particular bean (could be just me). Good luck...its good fun no matter what.
      Cheers
      BOSW

Comment

Originally posted by 585E425C59465A5B350 link=1337460503/2#2 date=1337462761
        I find that pretty much every South American bean presently on Beanbay is pretty easy to roast
        I have just roasted the Peru Ceja de Selva from BeanBay.

Andy says: “ Organic certified at origin by Naturland this high grown coffee comes from an estate at the base of the Andes and is the best Peruvian organic I have ever tried.”

I find that this one is great to drink as soon as beans are cold from the roaster. No need to wait.

Barryd.

Comment

I wouldnt be plugging that popper from Amazon into the powerpoints here in Australia ...unless you like fireworks!

Just a word of caution, check the voltage before you use it.

Comment

If Straightaways bought a popper from Amazon, theres a good chance hes not from around these parts. Amazon usually wont sell electrical goods to Australian customers.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Im from Canberra, the whirley pop is old school, no electronics. It has a churney type handle. Apparently its pretty good for home roasting. A starter pack sounds like a good plan!

Comment

Ha!  Should have googled it before I replied.

Enjoy!  Let us know the results.

Comment

Working...
                X