Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to roasting, and to my Behmor - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to roasting, and to my Behmor - recommendations?

Hi All,

I have just received my new Behmor (thanks Andy), and some Peru Ceja de Selva beans, as well as a few others. But I have plenty of the Peru Ceja de Selva beans, so plan on trying them out in my first roasting attempt.

I am completely new to roasting, and would appreciate some thoughts on what settings I should try out for my first roast.

So, suggested bean quantity, initial settings, and how I determine when to start the cooling.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Re: New to roasting, and to my Behmor - recommendations?

312g, 1lb, P2 C setting.

12 or so mins to first crack, 3-4 minutes to second crack, press cool at second crack. I allow to cool with door closed.

Comment

Great David, thanks for that.

I have just done the burn in cycle, so Ill let it cool then give it a go on those settings.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

Let us know how you go. Its really easy to lose your nerve and hit cool too soon. You can finish the roast any time after first crack but I like a darker roast and the Peru is nice at second at a CS10.

Comment

Tasted my first roast today, about 36 hours after roasting. Probably was a CS7 or so.

I think I did what you cautioned against - hit cool too soon. Nice body, smooth, but lacking a bit of character.

Did another roast today with Brazil beans - couldnt really tell when 1C ended, and 2C began. They look nicely roasted, at ~ CS8

Once I have got better at recognising the different sound of 1C and 2C, Ill be more confident in extending the roast a little, but looking forward to trying the Brazil in a couple of days.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,

David

Comment

Yeah - real easy to lose your nerve. I grew out my first 2 roasts. If you see a lot of smoke press cool immediately. The Peru has pretty distinctive cracks but its real easy to lose track of it. The times I gave you are a good guide.

Comment

Is the Behmor very noisy during roasting if not I guess that means the cracks are audible?

Comment

Its pretty quiet. Cracks are easy to hear.

Comment

exceptionally quite tbh

the only sound you hear is the beans being agitated in the cage.

1st crack all the way to 2nd crack very audible and easy to distinguish from each other

Comment

Originally posted by 1732253A3704626A6563530 link=1337762959/1#1 date=1337858464
                    312g, 1lb, P2 C setting.

12 or so mins to first crack, 3-4 minutes to second crack, press cool at second crack. I allow to cool with door closed.

Interesting - with my machine, I roast 312g on 1lb P2 A, then they hit first crack at almost exactly the time of the second stage power drop. (7:12 mins remaining). If I tried 1lb P2 C with 312g they would hit first crack too early and then run almost straight into second crack as the heating elements would still be running at 100%. My understanding is that this is not ideal cos you want to extend the time between 1C and 2C to better develop flavours. I guess there must be a bit of variability between machines and power outlets etc

Comment

I started using 1lb P2 C on recommendations here. I also sent Andy a roast monitor log and he said it looked almost perfect.

I dunno. Tastes pretty good though.

Comment

Im not saying youre wrong, just that it highlights variability. For me and my machine, 1lb P2 A needs 315g to hit 1C at the power drop; 1lb P2 B needs 380g and 1lb P2 C needs 430g.

Comment

I havent paid much attention to matching it with the power drop. Im not saying youre wrong either - we all have different experiences.

Comment

Working...
                          X